Riding on Cannock Chase

Joyous70

Apr 6, 2009
la la land
I want to take my boy over to Cannock Chase for a mooch around, where's best to go? never been before, just thought it would be nice if me and OH went a mooch over OH can take his bike and i can ride boo.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Best car park I have found is Ansons bank, its fairly quiet and big enough to turn a box around in, the lane in is quite bumpy though.

Ooh you need to speak to Roofio (whom I visited recently :)) - her boys are kept next door to CC.

sounds lovely must make the effort and get neddy in the trailer and get over there :D

do you have to follow particular paths, is there any etiquette i need to be aware of? :confused:

My OH usually uses the Seven Springs car park, which is also good for the stepping stones and some nice canter tracks. It's best to avoid sunny Sunday/Bank Holiday afternoons at the busiest places for ease of parking, and lessening the risk of getting tangled up with dogs and children. Early mornings are usually good anywhere on the Chase. Most bike users are very good and call out if they come up fast from behind, but there's the odd few who don't, and they can approach very quietly indeed.

You can get very close to deer when riding. Some horses don't like them, others don't bother at all.

The Chase is really a multi-use area. Pick your time and area right, and you may come across the husky drivers! I am one of a few carriage drivers who get up there from time to time.

I think, strictly speaking, you are meant to have a permit to go on some parts of the Forestry Commission area. I have one, because I need a key to open the barriers, but I have seen people ride past them without the identifying hat band. There are, in any case, a number of bridleways that cross both County Council and Forestry Commission land.

It's a gorgeous area to ride in, so do come and enjoy:)

I heard about this permit thing a while back but i've never seen any signs or anything so am not sure really.. hmm!!

Agree that Sevens spring and that sort of area is a good bet, there's a lot of parking places up that road. we are over the beaudesert/castle ring side and the car parks aren't so good for lorry parking, but it's all very lovely :)

newrider.com