Riding Lessons?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Any one else still having or just resumed lessons?

Boost to morale this morning to I find I can still trot without stirrups on the lunge.
It makes me feel more like the rider I used to be.

No reins either. But it has taken three lessons to reach this point.

Reactions: Huggy
I have never given up lessons. I only see my RI twice a month but I look forward to it eagerly. It's taken years for her to influence my riding style for the better, but now I have Sid to ride I really feel the benefit!

Same as Jane, except I try to have weekly lessons. I'm just a happy hacker at heart but I think the lessons are good for Raf's core (bit like a pilates session) and anything my RI can do to improve my riding has got to be good for Raf too.

I'm glad you're enjoying your lessons Skib and I take my hat off to you - not sure I could trot without stirrups for any length of time!

I haven’t had a riding lesson in almost 4 years. I am not sure where I would find the energy! One day maybe I will get back to proper riding but for the foreseeable future I am loving my daily walk outs with Ben. For someone who was once terrified of riding outside an arena, we have come a long way.

Not had a lesson in about 5 years. No plans to have anymore. Having been terrified to hack Robin, and now wondering why as he is so great, we are both enjoying hacking hacking and more hacking. With his hocks I don’t want to do much in the school, plus he gets bored in the school if you go in every day. He has done his job and he is such a good boy that even if I do want to go and do the odd prelim test(for a fun trip out only) we don’t need to practise. I also feel I have done the competing with accompaning lessons and have no wish to do so anymore.

I'm just a happy hacker at heart but I think the lessons are good for Raf's core
Same as me - Bodshi, I am a hacker. Only it is my core!
My RI told me when I first went to her all those years ago, that her aim was to try and balance me well in the saddle, so that I was less likely to fall off. But Covid lock down has somewhat stiffened me.
Jane - It is easier to trot without stirrups I have always found than to have one's feet raised by the stirrup irons.
@Skib, when you are trotting without stirrups, is that sitting or rising? Or a bit of both?
It is sitting. I know there is a RS method loved by some people of having students rise to the trot with no stirrups, but my RI doesnt do that.

hacking hacking and more hacking
This is what I do - the only time I go in the school is for a lesson, though I might try to do a bit more while Sid's feet transition as the surface is nice for him. But I have had loads of lessons relating to hacking. Some of the best were when my Ri was riding a horse on neighbouring livery for a friend, and if I went with her on Ziggy she would give me a lesson while we were out. Ziggy was whizzy and inclined to tank off, and these lessons were invaluable to me in getting him back when his head went up and his back dropped. We've also done lessons on groundwork, long reining, loading and tacking up! I owe a lot to my RI.

I see my main trainer about once a quarter. I'd like to see them more regularly but they're booked up and I'm strictly speaking too far from their regular travel zone so they do do me a favour . They're not cheap so probably best I don't see them too regularly 😂

I had a great biomechanics trainer I saw once a month but they had the audacity to move out the area to live with their partner!

Currently trying to find a new trainer to help once or twice a month, but it's not proving to be too easy.

We've done a couple of clinics this year but it's not quite the same as regular 1-2-1.

I'm seeing a personal trainer more often than I'd like though which is improving my core no end 😂

Last edited:
newrider.com