Riding Holidays

loopyh

Oct 9, 2006
Leeds
I'm looking for a 3/4 day break riding as a treat for myself for finishing my degree. I wondered if anyone had recommendations? It would be just me (escaping the daughter) and I don't own a horse.:)

Northfield farm long weekend ride is nearby you and great fun www.northfieldfarm.co.uk. I also _love_ cae iago www.caeiago.co.uk for a restful break (great home welcome and cooking), and free rein www.free-rein.co.uk for a nice relaxed trail ride.

I am off to freerein on the may 11th 3 day ride if anyone is interested in joingin me!

aj xx

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh - nice idea, how much did it cost you? is it the one where you go to place to place or go out on hacks each day. can you bring your own?

Thanks for that I'll have a longer look later. I like the look of all of them but am concerned that my hacking may not be up to standard. I'm going to speak to my RI on Monday - see if I can get some hacking in on a more regular basis to build my confidence - it is only confidence my walk/trot/canter in the school is pretty good. What kind of riding level are you at?

I went to Cae-Iago last year - run by Lesley and Rod really nice couple. Riding was great with really nice forward going but safe horses. Food was fantastic. Think it cost about £4-500 for 6 days so a shorter break will be cheaper. I went with my sister but we met lots of other people whilst there. Would highly recommend it - I'ld go again this year but my sister's only gone and got pregnant!

I've got a four day instructional break booked at Murthwaite Green (they also do straight hacking holidays). Never been before but lots of NR people seem to say it is great with wonderful beach rides. Think the website is www.murthwaitegreen.co.uk

Freerein is expensive unfortunately pibstar - I think it's £435 + first night accomodation and meals, but nice to get out and see different places on the trail. It's not a bring your own, but it is the place to place one if that makes sense - I've gone for one with a guide, but you can also go it alone if there are 2 or 3 of you. I'm not _quite_ that confident yet.

If you are worried about your standard loopyh take a look at the freerein onto the trail - my friends did it with a few weeks and about 6 months experience and both enjoyed themselves hugely. They have some unbelievably calm horses for the nervous, I rode the most obedient creature I've ever come across there (Friday) - I spent the first few hours waiting for the tantrums I am accustomed to but she was impeccable the whole trek. Back, front, any pace, side by side, awful weather, left behind on her own, the lot, never anything but happy and responsive - to be honest it was almost wierd, I'm not sure what to do with myself without the customary bouncing on the spot at the canters and strop about who gets to go through the gate first!

Cae Iago is also good for nervous - you need to be competent as its a long day and steep hills, but the horses are very safe and well used to the job and lesley and the guides are very reassuring somehow!

Northfields horses are not quite so steady in general and definately quicker, so as it's a very long day with gallops probably best not for a first time nervous rider. I am nervy myself and love it, but I'm also very used to hacking out and speed doesn't bother me at all (it's the horses that always feel like they want to be trotting in walk that do me in - oh and HILLS!)

As for experience, my first time (cae iago) was about 18months into learning to ride, since then(2 years) I've done about 2 weeks a year plus once a month local hacks so I am used to being out and about as much as a non owner ever is I think. On the downside I'm horribly unfit, was never very talented, stopped the lesson after 2 years or so and am a nervous rider to boot so not exactly charging around the place willy nilly. Experienced novice is what I usually categorise myself as :) Cantering out on a hack is much easier than in the school though so I would think you'll find it easier than you expect?

aj xx

I love Murthwaite Green, they have such a wonderful beach riding :)

And no need to worry about your level of riding because they cater for all levels from beginners and up. Last time I went we managed to get a friend who has never ridden before riding on the beach :)

http://www.murthwaitegreen.co.uk/

And the Boots and Boards B&B is a really nice B&B which Murthwaite use.

62530008.jpg

CNV00018.jpg

Last edited:
OK now I'm spoilt for choice - they all look great. I'm keeping any details I get and will work my way through them. I'm thinking a weekend at Easter and a 4-5 day break in August. Just can't get enough of horses you understand don't you?

newrider.com