Ridiculous spooks

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Hacked Roxy out today and she was determined to spook (she likes to keep me on my toes). Today's freaky objects were:
a) a flower growing in the window box at the vet's, which she has passed many times without turning a hair
b) a blue square painted on some grass
c) no reason except it was the place she spooked on our last hack

I got the full-on 'OH MY GOD MUM' flinch sideways from all of these. She is such a drama queen!

Don't you just love it ;) For the last couple of months jess has been like that about on particular sort of plant in the forest, it's a smallish cluster of green leaves and she has a stupid fit every time she sees them even in different places, bloomin horses :p

Reactions: squidsin
I wonder why? What could possibly be threatening about a plant?! A tiny little green thing you could squash with a hoof. No sense to it!

Ale did quite a big spook at a weed in the school the other day haha obviously not impressed with us letting it grow there. He's also snorted at his shadow before.

And the other day he spent 10 mins trotting round the field (prancing, head high snorting) trying to pluck up the courage to go and check out...a poo which had frost on it hehe. He does make me laugh!

Oh Mattie spooks at plants. Only plants which have large green leaves which VERY THREATENINGLY turn over as the wind blows them.

He (who never spooks at anything) will do a full-blown stop and spin. Then he looks over his shoulder at the plant and droops his ears as if to say, "Merde alors, encore une feuille"

Reactions: Jessey
Charlie always used to spook at painted lines on the road if they were in an unexpected place. Maybe they look like snakes? Moving plants may mean hiding predators!:eek: No idea what's scary about a frosty poo :D but I'm sure it all makes sense to the horse!!

Raf did a huge spook at the weekend - much bigger than he tends to do these days. On our route round the village we pass a garden with high hedges and a greenhouse in close proximity to the hedge where a man used to almost always be out tinkering about in his greenhouse or the garden and the horses nearly always had a little jump when they heard him, but only a little start of surprise normally.

Sadly, the gentleman was killed in a RTA a couple of months ago and the garden is now empty. But when we were passing it at the weekend Raf suddenly gave a huge start and leapt sideways onto the opposite side of the road, right in front of a passing car. Luckily for us, the driver was passing very slowly and carefully so she was able to stop, but we frightened both ourselves and her. The other horse we were with didn't turn a hair, so I'm not sure what it was that Raf suddenly found so scary. Maybe it's more scary without anyone making a noise behind the hedge?

Mine dis an impressive spook in an indoor school last night, he trotted in (I turned him loose to have a mooch and check it out) he got so far down then stopped with a jerk, head held high, blew a warning snort and he wheeled around and took off trotted back to the centre of the school and and tentatively walked up to the object scaring him.

What was it ?

His reflection in the mirror at the end of the school that he had seen at least 3 times before :rolleyes:

Sonny is pretty much not spooky about anything at anytime.

Andi my mare is not spooky either but she will selectively choose to spook at something totally stupid just to use it to be a brat.
Same as Roxy. She's not really spooky either but at least once on a hack she will audition for Downton Abbey. Such MELODRAMA!

Reactions: Ruskii
^^ Haha jess is the same, she doesn't "do" spooking or silliness, I'm sure the whole spooking at the plant thing is just for her own amusement to see if I can sit her launching sideways at a million miles an hour :rolleyes: luckily she only ever goes one step

Reactions: squidsin
LOL I think Andi does it for her amusement too!!

Downton Abbey! LOL I love Downton Abbey!!! Cant wait for the new season to start in JAN!
Our PBS stations get all your great shows over here-- are they all as popular over there as here?
Only bad thing is it seems ugh a season is just a few episodes - It seemed in the blink of an eye
the new INSPECTOR LEWIS was already done and same with SHERLOCK and ENDEAVOR
Guess its a good thing you have so many great ones to cycle thru the year.
I hope there is another season of DOC MARTIN.

LOL I think Andi does it for her amusement too!!

Downton Abbey! LOL I love Downton Abbey!!! Cant wait for the new season to start in JAN!
Our PBS stations get all your great shows over here-- are they all as popular over there as here?
Only bad thing is it seems ugh a season is just a few episodes - It seemed in the blink of an eye
the new INSPECTOR LEWIS was already done and same with SHERLOCK and ENDEAVOR
Guess its a good thing you have so many great ones to cycle thru the year.
I hope there is another season of DOC MARTIN.

Yeah our 'seasons' are usually just 6 episodes! There's bound to be a Sherlock Christmas special - either a one-off or maybe a two-parter. That will make its way over to the US I am sure! Downton Abbey and Sherlock are huge over here, not sure about Endeavour - I don't think I know that one!

Yeah our 'seasons' are usually just 6 episodes! There's bound to be a Sherlock Christmas special - either a one-off or maybe a two-parter. That will make its way over to the US I am sure! Downton Abbey and Sherlock are huge over here, not sure about Endeavour - I don't think I know that one!

I absolutely loved Endeavor, the actor Shaun Evans who plays the young Morse is super and I can't wait for the next series. If you had seen it you would remember Squidsin it's so nicely done in every respect.

Last edited:
Oh yes he plays the young Morse so well. I am kind of looking fwd to when he gets that lovely red car! They are showing some of the original Inspector Morse as well and I love those too. Its funny to see how young Kevin Whatley is.

I hope they do a Sherlock Xmas Special and I see there will be at least one more year of Doc Martin.
It's great that David Suchet has over his 25 year career completed all the Agatha Christie POIROT but sad there are not more.
I hope they start to re-show the earlier ones.
We have a series here Elemantary thats also modern sherlock but I really can't get into ours .
Dr Watson is female and his therapist.
Selfridges is also good as is Paradise
We also get the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes too I don't know how many he did before he died he was totally awesome.
I think the best ever Sherlock Holmes done in the
Victorian era.

Raf did a huge spook at the weekend - much bigger than he tends to do these days. On our route round the village we pass a garden with high hedges and a greenhouse in close proximity to the hedge where a man used to almost always be out tinkering about in his greenhouse or the garden and the horses nearly always had a little jump when they heard him, but only a little start of surprise normally.

Sadly, the gentleman was killed in a RTA a couple of months ago and the garden is now empty. But when we were passing it at the weekend Raf suddenly gave a huge start and leapt sideways onto the opposite side of the road, right in front of a passing car. Luckily for us, the driver was passing very slowly and carefully so she was able to stop, but we frightened both ourselves and her. The other horse we were with didn't turn a hair, so I'm not sure what it was that Raf suddenly found so scary. Maybe it's more scary without anyone making a noise behind the hedge?
It may of been the ghost of the man standing there !! [emoji33]

Tobes just LOVES to spook! Generally at small birds flying out of a hedge, or his most favourite ferns! He broke my wrist spooking at pheasants - one flew out on the left so he spooked to the right and most annoyingly there was another lurking where he spooked to and he spooked again - all in a matter of seconds!!

I do find it very irritating really. Not so long ago when he was being ridden he happily passed (when asked) someone welding. He understands welding as he has seen it.

Flipo now does a very good full body flinch at stuff while we are out and about but that's really all.
Although this afternoon we were just setting out on a hack and Flipo was alert as a horse came towards us. It was a girl from the yard, accompanied by a foot soldier as she is a bit nervous, so I decided to just wait where we were (right outside my field) until she'd passed by. Well they seemed ok, so I ushered Flipo on to take a few steps forward and pass by, until the other horse had a little trot, at which point Flipo freaked out spun and tried to run away. He's such a pansey sometimes.

newrider.com