returning to riding - experiences?

Silvia

Aug 2, 2000
Visit site
Anyone out there who came back to horses after a long break? I am thinking of starting riding again and just want to get an idea of what to expect. How long did it take for you to get back to a level where you felt you could do things with a horse? Did it feel like starting all over again or did it all come back to you once you got going? How did it feel to get on for the first time?
I used to have my own horse, but starting out again will most likely mean taking lessons at a riding school and if things go well maybe sharing a horse at some point. Having owned also means that I am not very used to riding a horse I don't know - even then I found strange horses quite scary.

I took a 21 year break. I was horse mad as a child, started riding at 5 (old skool!) and spent every weekend loitering and pony-bothering at my local stables throughout my childhood and teenage years. Finally bought my own pony aged 18 but then sold him at 21 for a mortgage and a marriage. Then life got busy as along came three children in quick succession.

Fast forward 21 years and a divorce and re-marriage under my belt and one day I announced that I wanted to go riding again. That was July 2005. I hadn't seen, touched or even thought about horses for all those years but walking into that riding school to book a lesson.... the smells, sounds and sights were like a pair of floodgates opening in my head! It was a lightbulb moment for me... sounds cheesy but it felt like coming home as everything just slotted back in my mind where it had been before. I was eager to bring myself up to speed on modern practises so dived into the internet reading up on modern rugs, tack and feed regimes, as well as modern riding practises (shoulder, hip, heel alignment - no more armchair seat!!). All so different, but wonderful at the same time! I had a 45 minute lesson and couldn't walk for the next 10 days BUT I limped about with such a smile on my face. I started looking for a share and was lucky to find an impeccably-behaved ex-racer whom I hacked out three times a week... and got back into my stride. I've only had a few lessons over the intervening years, but I do plan for more next year. By November I owned a gorgeous cob mare. Since then I have turmed bonkers and owned a TB, bred a foal, backed a few myself and all sorts of mad nonsense. I now own four little darlings!

My children all betrayed me by not being remotely interested in ponies so I think they are all slightly bemused by my "re-living my childhood" at the age of 51 - although they are all grown up now. My 6yo granddaughter lives 150 miles away but is showing signs of being horsey. She's down in Greater London and my daughter is not in a position to afford riding lessons, if that's what Olivia chooses.... but we'll see... that's what nans are for, eh? Friends whom I got to know in my horse-free years now tell me that there was a hole in my life before that they didn't know was there, but has now been filled. I seem "complete" to them.

Even my husband has been sucked into it. He'd never seen a horse up close until I bought Cherry way back and now, some nine years on, he has his own horse and we hack out together regularly. I feel very lucky and blessed that things have worked out like this for me.

Just do it :) I had a very long break but pretty much got straight back into it. The hardest thing for me was really learning to ride as when I ride as a child I never had lessons it was just a case of get on and get on with it, so there was a lot to learn! I had an assessment at a proper riding school and was told I rode like a cowboy but was fine to happy hack which is mostly what I do now. Go and have a go I bet you will be fine and find it all comes right back to you. Enjoy it. :)

I had a long break too - stopped at about 18, came back to it again aged 36, after I'd had my kids. It's NOT like riding a bike! I had to completely relearn to ride - and riding has changed since I was first taught, you're no longer told to grip with your knees, for example, and there's much more focus on going in an outline. But it wasn't long before the bug bit again, and now I have my own horse. Still not the world's best rider, and probably won't ever be, but riding and horses are a passion for me, and that's the main thing.

I had a long break too - stopped at about 18, came back to it again aged 36, after I'd had my kids. It's NOT like riding a bike! I had to completely relearn to ride - and riding has changed since I was first taught, you're no longer told to grip with your knees, for example, and there's much more focus on going in an outline. But it wasn't long before the bug bit again, and now I have my own horse. Still not the world's best rider, and probably won't ever be, but riding and horses are a passion for me, and that's the main thing.
See it was for me because I'd never been taught to 'ride' as a child, when I did my BHS level 1 I was massively embarrassed because I hadn't got a clue what the instructor was talking about when she said stuff like 'change the rein at H' or whatever, I hadn't ever ridden in a school as a child only ever in fields and never been taught I didn't have to re learn anything, just started from scratch. :)

It's NOT like riding a bike!

It is! I was flipping wobbly when I got back on a bike after nearly 50 years!

I learnt to ride when I was 39, rode on and off over the years and came back seriously 20 years later - like squidsin, I had to unlearn a lot and start again - for me the bug bit in the first half hour which finished with a canter! Took me all of 8 months to buy my own horse ... :)

Thank you all for your encouraging posts. Compared to domane my break from riding was not that long, it has been 6 years or so.
I am totally happy to take it very slow - definitely no canter for the first lesson. ;)
It seems like quite a few of you got your own horse again pretty soon. What made you decide to? Did you get bored with just lessons?

Sort of - more that I wanted the whole "horse" experience, looking after, riding, learning, companionship of riding out with others, that sort of thing that the riding school didn't provide.
Same here. Plus I'd wanted a horse of my own since I was a little girl - never an option as my parents are not horsey and did their level best to try and put me off! I couldn't afford one in my 20s and most of my 30s, and we lived in London so not practical anyway, so now is really the first opportunity I've had to be a horse owner. It's all-consuming and exhausting and difficult to juggle with a family and work - but I wouldn't give it up. I've tried!

I was the poster child for whats wrong with this picture and took a really nasty fall 5 weeks after Christopher Reeve was horribly injured.
That always stuck in my mind and before I tried to move I took a deep breath and thought does this move does that move etc.
I was very lucky not much physical injury- not much but mental lasted 5 years. I totally had every excuse to not ride - too hot - too cold
too sunny - no sun you name it I could justify a reason!
Mental aspect can sometimes be much worse than physical.
Max was never locked in a stall so he still got lots of exercise etc just no riding.
Then 5 years out the vet doing spring shots said "are you going to one of those people that has mini's whe you get older to just
still be around horses/ponies etc"??? OMG IT WAS LIKE BEING SLAPPED ACCROSS THE FACE!! WHAT A WAKE UP CALL!!!
Then I came to the realization I had lost my nerve because prior to this all the reasons to not ride were totally real in my head.
I knew I even though Max was a puppy dog horse I needed to get my nerve back with lessons = so I started lessons.
I remember the very first lesson I was on a very tall horse and the ground seemed sooooooooooo far down and omg to just walk
seemed so scary.
Then in 2 weeks I was jumping x rails.
I did get much less limber in those 5 years though and that really never totally came back.
I still had no confidence w/ Max and wow he got my number fast- he would do some little jiggy jag thing and I would do
an emergency dismount- he picked up on that quick I can end this ride real quick!!!
Then one day I got past it he jiggy -jag and I gave him little swat w/ the crop cut the crap-- I'm not jumping off.

Reactions: One for fun
I dont see that 6 years would be a problem. Riding methods probably havent changed that much in 6 years. And I dont understand what you mean by "doing things with a horse"
More relevant is your question what it feels like to get on horses you dont know, after being used to riding just one of your own.
That is quite interesting to me because one knows that riding the same horse all the time builds up a mutual understanding. Yet after sharing the same horse for years, I was definitely cautious riding another.
It seems to me one is in a no win situation with riding. If one rides in the school, one seems to lose one's confidence for hacking.
If one rides just one horse, one may make speedy progress (jumping and all these competitive things that win admiration) but remain uncertain about riding unfamiliar horses. One RI told me that everyone hesitates before the first canter on a horse they dont know.
You have to tell the riding teacher what it is you want to learn. Riding a variety of horses might make you feel more sure of yourself? Once I had happily cantered 5 different horses in the school , I felt able to try out horses offered for share or sale. Which is what you will want to do?
Dont think of it as a negative education. The great advantage of riding at a RS is that you get to ride lots of different horses. And can get addicted to that - like being handed a new crossword puzzle. Plus you are only adding to the information and experience that you already have from 6 years ago. None of that is wasted.

I guess what I mean by doing things with a horse is catching it in the field, tacking up and going somewhere(on a hack, or down the road to the indoor school) without worrying too much, without needing someone there because things might go wrong.
You are right though, about me not being quite sure what to tell a RI about my goals. I won't be getting my own horse in the near future - being a single Mum does not allow for it time wise and financially. Sharing might be an option if I find the right horse in the right place, but most likely it will be a lesson a week for the next few years. I guess the goal is to enjoy myself?
I have balance issues and one very weak leg so I need a very patient horse who will try and make sense of my unconventional aids and not take too much advantage . I'd be quite pleased with myself if I managed to walk and trot, canter has always been very difficult and I have never been able to do more than a few strides.
Tomorrow I'm going to check out a place a friend recommended and have a chat with the riding instructor. She has a horse that might be suitable for me, but I won't really know till I get there.

I think its different coming back because you have such a different perspective on self preservation - we know we're not invincible once we're older! I rode from age 9 till going to uni. I then had a break all through my twenties - I maybe rode a few times on holiday, but apart from that, nothing. I dove straight back in for my 30th and bought a horse. I could remember all the stuff you did with them, leading, turnout, feeding, etc, and could still ride the basics, but my muscle memory wasn't there, so when my horse spooked one way, I didn't go with him. It took two falls in a short space of time to completely destroy my confidence (but that's down to the wrong horse and jumping in too quick) and I then spent the next two years at least, getting back to my old self.
You're going the right way about it, but don't be too cautious otherwise you'll never do anything! Enjoy it, trust the riding school will take care of you and im sure you'll be loving it in no time!

Reactions: Trewsers
You need to start by finding a good riding school. I had BHS stage one riding and stable management lessons and they were interesting and helpful - didn't get round to actually taking the exams as I got my horse Roxy instead. But I definitely feel much more competent with her as a result. Lots of people ride with various weaknesses - for most of us, our core probably isn't what it should be! But horses are pretty forgiving really.

That is a great goal!! To enjoy yourself!!
I hope the instructor and horse are a good fit!
Where ever you go don't be afraid to have an ongoing dialogue with your instructor encourage it!~
and try right from the start to get feedback after each lesson- sometimes they get so rushed
to hop off to next person you don't get that.
If they say do xxx and xxx then xxx after you do it ask how was that and if you were told like me one time
after being told to go jump xxx to xxx to xxx etc when I said how did I do?? =="oh I DON'T KNOW because I
was talking to Janie ---what was the point of that and a waste of money. Make sure your instructor gives you
her/his full attention during your lesson (unless a dire emergency comes up that someone falls etc).

Reactions: One for fun
Also, avoid anyone who tries to bring you down. I have horrendous confidence issues as a disabled rider and new owner and the last thing I need is unsupportive attitudes. Find those that'll encourage you as you deserve and ignore the rest.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Surround yourself with really supportive and lovely people, find a horse that you feel comfortable on not what people say you should be good on. Try it a few times, have lessons and you will know, you really will know when it is the one! It happened for me and I've never been happier : D

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Hi Sylvia, I returned to horses after a gap of over forty years. My first experience was not good. I was back in the old days in my head and not being aware of all the things to look out for.
I decided to build my confidence by going to a riding school as they have to have safe horses for there insurance etc.
It worked for me. I got used to various heights of horse, what I did and didn't like to ride.
I now have Simmy, we have been thrown together more by accident really. but we are best pals now and seem to get on well enough.
I haven't ridden him since last September, but I don't let it bother me too much, as he can be tacked up and ridden after months of being in the fields doesn't get fizzy etc. I think one for fun is right, don't let people put you off,
if you feel its ok then do it but don't go against your instincts I think they help to keep you safe.
I enjoy being around horses even if not riding, lifts my spirits and there is nothing nicer than a warm muzzle to touch :)

newrider.com