Returning to riding after having children

I took my son with me to the stables daily and then when he started school I have always spent the day there with the horses then with him after school. I don't think you should feel bad I think we all need time to be ourselves not just a mummy ;-) x

Reactions: squidsin and Mrs_T
Thanks! I now have a little plan in my head...riding lessons for the next year or two, then save for a horse- we have work we need done on our house which will require some saving first.

By the time I'd be in a good financial position (having saved for the cost of buying a horse/equipnent needed and being back to work fully), the kids will be at school and therefore it would be easier as they'd be that bit older!

Reactions: WaikiH and squidsin
Don't feel guilty for having mummy time, it's the only thing that keeps me sane lol I learnt to ride 5yrs ago I have 3 children and have a business I always have 1.5 hour a day before school run with my horse and 2/3 hours on a weekend I work round the children in the holidays the youngest 2 come with me my daughters now learning too

Hey,
Just catching up now. I can totally relate. I started in October when my daughter was 17 months old. I'd done a bit as a kid but nothing major and couldn't really remember anything. I did a share for 2 months until end of Dec and now I've taken the plunge and bought an ex racer called Matty. Scary stuff. I'd never had any time to myself and now I love it x

I could have written this post myself. This is my first time contributing to this forum. I used to ride when I was a teenager (in Belgium) then moved to London, got married, had children, had a massive break - didn't ride for a good 14 years. I recently joined a school to start all over again and it was going well until a recent incident which meant I now have to transition to a new school. It's a financial sacrifice, for sure. But now that I've gone back to it I couldn't do without it. I'm also "studying" horseriding in my own way, reading books and learning about stable management. It's my own little escapade. Wishing you all the best.

Hi Mrs H and WaikiH!

Congrats on taking the plunge MrsH! Do you mind me asking how you manage going to muck out etc ....do you take your little one with you, get up early and go before they're up or how do you work it? This would be one of my concerns as I'm a teacher so already have to leave home at 7:30am to get to work!

WaikiH, I totally get you on the 'studying' front! I keep meaning to dig my old books out and have a read...it's silly things, but I'd completely forgotten the differences between martingales, and I read the word cercincle and was thinking I'd forgotten they even exist! I have to admit my confidence on horse back is as good as it's ever been, but I'm not as confidence on the ground...I rode a fairly green horse this week and was happy as Larry up there, but trying to hold him still on the ground, I found myself thinking 'I can't remember how to handle a horse like this'!

Also would love to find time to go up in the loft and find my 'horse' boxes...i know I have a nice grroming kit and things like old head collars and numnahs, I'd just like a peak at what I kept!

I'm finding my week revolves around my weekly lesson now (4 days to go haha!) and even, accidently of course, found myself doing some 'window shopping' on horsemart!!!

Well, if I win the lottery tonight...!

Reactions: WaikiH
newrider.com