Returning to first RS - nervous!

Kestral

Jun 22, 2005
London
Well after the downright awful experience I had before xmas I have now bucked up the courage and booked a lesson on sunday at the RS I first learnt to ride at. Went there from the age of about 11 once a fortnight up til I was 18 when I left for uni. Was reluctant to go back at first as I had some not very nice experiences with a member of staff and their attitude towards an RS horse and safety of clients, but since I believe they are no longer at the school and there is nowhere else near enough to try, I have decided to give them another go.

Not sure if I will be recognised, haven't been there for 6 years and look quite different to when I was a teenager, but still nervous about going back. I'm also sure that I will be a bit sad because I am sure some of my old favourite horses will either have moved on or passed on.

But fingers crossed I finally get a proper riding lesson!

Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine and you'll be amazed at how many people recognise you and how little it's changed.

I did the same thing with my old riding school, rode there until I was 16 then left to do A-Levels and uni then went back when I graduated. Most of the people were the same and it was nice to just be able to go into a decent lesson on the decent horses rather than messing about with assessment lessons and working my way through the ranks of the horses. The instructors remembered me and there were quite a few horses and ponies that were still there, but plenty of new ones to try as well.

Unfortunately I've just moved half way up the country and am now struggling to find somewhere new to ride, I'm gutted I had to leave the last place and can't find anywhere I click with quite so well. :confused:

Well I am now very glad I went back. Although there are lots of new school horses the place seems to run much the same. I even had my old teacher who taught me from the beginning and she recognised me and was very friendly and welcoming. Rode a sweet little cobby mare who was very willing, and we actually did a proper warm up before doing jumping (other RS I tried did 1 trot, 1, maybe 2 canters if lucky before starting jumping!!!) she was really keen towards the end, I messed up once though and she refused as a result but I managed not to end up on the floor. Flatwork lesson next week, riding a different horse, really looking forward to it :)

newrider.com