Return to riding after knee operation?

alisonq

Mar 29, 2009
Greetland, West Yorks
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of riding again after a fractured knee joint - or 'tibial plateau fracture' as its technically known?

I was knocked over by my dog on 18th September and have just had an operation to insert plate and pins to fix my knee. I know I am non weight bearing for 8 weeks (lots of bed and sofa time!) - then partial with physio etc. and I know this will be a long haul. However, I am already worrying about prognosis for this injury and being able to ride again. I have my own horse and my yard owner is exercising him for next few months - but I really hope to get back to riding him again.

It is my left knee - so mounting is a real concern when the time comes.

Anyone on here had a similar injury who can give advice (and hope?) to a depressed newly injured rider?

Thanks! :unsure:

Not much help here, but if you get a really big mounting block, you could just slide onto the saddle without using your knee. I do it frequently to avoid the saddle slipping.

Very sorry to hear of your injury.

My Mum had the same type of break on Boxing Day last year, she slipped in the awful icy conditions we had at that time. I am not sure how old you are but she is in early 60s and is still suffering badly now and hasn't been able to go back to her work as a cook. She may need a knee replacement. We are back at the hospital in a couple of weeks for a prognosis. She cannot walk very far at all bless her and he leg is bowed.

So, sorry to be the bearer of bad news and it may be that my mum is older/knees were less good to begin with but it is a long old recovery. My aunt (retured nurse) says in osteo terms it is still early days even though we are nine months on from it now.

The worst of the non weight bearing is that you cannot carry anything much drinks/food wise on the crutches which is a pain? Are you going to be home alone in your recovery?

newrider.com