Respraying a body protector - Am I imagining someone on NR did this?!

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Now, this might be a sign that I've finally cracked (!) but I'm fairly certain I remember someone repainting or spraying their body protector on here.

Can anyone remember who it was and what they used?!

I'm considering re-doing mine as it looks a bit scruffy and marked these days - which is ironic, as I've never fallen in it on the times I've been wearing it :D

Reactions: Jessey
That's reassuing @Jessey! I told my OH I was sure someone had and I was thinking of doing it and needless to say my OH now thinks I'm (more) insane :D

• Haha

Anything is better than working so I had a search for it

Now, this might be a sign that I've finally cracked (!) but I'm fairly certain I remember someone repainting or spraying their body protector on here.

Can anyone remember who it was and what they used?!

I'm considering re-doing mine as it looks a bit scruffy and marked these days - which is ironic, as I've never fallen in it on the times I've been wearing it :D
They shoud really be replaced after about 4 years as the foam may harden or deteriorate. Am keeping mine a bit longer hoping to go to shop to try them on but although we are out of lock down and going for walks, OH doesnt want us to go back to any shops just yet.

Depends i guess on the bp. My cover on mine has warn away at the back on the saddle. I looked into getting a new cover for it and was told it was nearly as much as buying a complete new bp.

You can get different colour covers too. There was a thread on here too about that. Think you can get a hiviz cover.

They shoud really be replaced after about 4 years as the foam may harden or deteriorate. Am keeping mine a bit longer hoping to go to shop to try them on but although we are out of lock down and going for walks, OH doesnt want us to go back to any shops just yet.

Thanks šŸ™‚ I think it's less than 4 years old but just stained and grubby on the cover. I've never fallen off in it so no concerns about the safety of the foam.

I don't tend to wear it all that often but I think I'm close to being able to bring Pete back into work after a long holiday/injury/illness, which is what made me think of it šŸ¤£

Handily it's a Racesafe too so nice to know the dye works!

Sorry, been busy and didn't see this yesterday. Yes, I researched dyes and found a waterproof one. Sorry, I can't remember the company. But I did email them first to ask their opinion. If you do respray yours, definitely do very light coats. I had to touch in small areas with a fine paintbrush too to get 100% coverage. Mine got grubby again so I re-sprayed the re-spray and I got run marks because I was too heavy-handed. But you didn't see them from a distance and the black colour held and didn't fade.

I finally ditched it though and bought a Provent, just because it was old. But I do have to say that there were absolutely no signs of deterioration or degeneration of the foam, following using the dye....it all remained springy and how it had always felt. (Obvs Racesafe would have been horrified! šŸ˜‚)

newrider.com