Remembering Chester

MAC66

Jun 18, 2009
Kent
It's 6 years ago since Chester was pts and hardly a day goes by without he's mentioned by me or someone else. We were together for 20 years and nine months and did all sorts things, lots of dressage, showjumping, sponsored rides, adult gymkhanas, showing, and some work for the RDA. He was 16.2, TB x Welsh Cob and he really was a fun horse. In lessons he used to squeal a lot and hop about when waiting for his turn to do an exercise, a friend of mine used to ride him and after the first time she took him on a hack she said he was just like a pig - he kept squealing all the time.

When Chester was about 12 we found he had navicular which with carefully chosing his work he was able to continue for about 5 years when the navicular had progressed to the point where a decision had to be made, the choices were have him denerved or pts. My vet spent a lot of time explaining all the pros and cons of denerving so we went ahead with that. Afterwards we were not to do any trotting, cantering or jumping work on hard ground, but could do dressage and jumping on indoor or menage surfaces. We did our last dressage in December 2000, it was freestyle to music and we got 2 10s, 3 9, and 4 8s, which was a great surprise and having achieved that I decided it was time to retire so we became happy little hackers. I moved to a yard with direct access to a forest so we could go out for little hacks to our hearts content.

Chester was about 26 when he had an abscess in one foot which just wouldn't heal, then it came through the coronet and I knew this was bad. My vet took xrays which showed the pedal bone had collapsed so it was at this point I had to make the final decision.

I always said Chester would be with me for ever and he is now in a very nice box with me at home.

Here is a photo of us taken on 1st September 2005 which was our 20th anniversary.

Attachments

• CNV00013.jpg
    CNV00013.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 28
You must miss him very much, and you obviously had a great relationship. You have certain very special animals in your life that live on in your heart forever, who you think of most days. You have many wonderful memories of him, and he sounds like a great horse. He was lovely looking too.

That is such a lovely story. He sounds like a like right character! You seem to have had a tremendous bond and I am in awe of how you managed his condition. He was a very lucky horse to have you as his mummy.

Rest in peace Chester xx

Yes, Chester and I definitely had a strong bond, somehow he always knew when I arrived at the yard although he couldn't see me, and always cantered
across the field to me. He was very enthusiastic about everything but was never ever nasty. Although he could get very strong on hacks I knew he would never do anything silly, my friend who rode him said she could trust him with her life. We did have some very fast hacks at times round the fields and in the woods and to begin with I did wonder what had I done buying such a horse but we got used to each other eventually.

I bought Chester from the Riding School were I had my previous horse, Baron, at livery. He had been a school horse for about six weeks and when Baron was retired, the School gave me Chester for a lesson and afterwards said it was to see how we got on, and he might be a good horse for me to have, that was how it all started. That was in 1985 and I still have people telling me they rode Chester. In fact, one of the other liveries at my present yard told me recently that she desperately wanted him but her parents wouldn't buy him for her and she was very upset when I bought him. Another of the liveries asked me if I was the person who had Chester, I don't remember her but she was a working pupil at the riding school and she rode him on the staff lessons.

I still have all his rosettes, all his dressage score sheets, stacks of videos of our shows and a some of his tack. I don't know why I keep the tack, it's too small for Mac, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I've attached some more photos, Chester doing Western (sort of), Chester and our pony Swift, and Chester and Mac.

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (2).jpg
    DSCF0007 (2).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 5
  • SWIFT023.jpg
    SWIFT023.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0353.jpg
    100_0353.jpg