remember the Collie cross that nipped me a few months ago?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
She's 14, so getting on. Recently she was diagnosed with having serious issues with her womb (was bleeding all the time).. Her vet quoted £700 for her womb, ovaries etc to be removed, but said as she's an old dog, this wouldn't be fair and it would be better to pts.
With the mere mention of the PTS, the collie lifted her head, looked at her owner straight in the eyes as if to say "Please don't do that!"..
Having told me the quote, I suggested she looked else where as it was extortionate. She had no intention of putting her down, as despite everything, the dog was in remarkable good health for her age, having a good strong heart.
She rang round, and luckily the dog's trust stepped in, and blood tests were done to confirm 'abnormally healthy blood".. if the blood had come back otherwise, the vet himself said they'd let her slip away. So, she underwent the spaying. Upon opening her up they found a massive tumour attached to her womb. Having removed that, they closed her back up and brought her round. She's not going to undergo any further treatment, due to her age, the whole process cost £300 which is considerably less than the original quote.
Her owner told me, she is a different dog, full of energy, and her snappiness has disappeared.

I paid less than £600 for Bailey to have a rig op and that included transport to and from.. I've watched dogs and cats have spay/castration ops (helped at a vets a few years ago) and know these ops are routine and shouldn't cost more than £180 for a large dog.
I was surprised however, as when the dog went to be spayed, the quote was £180 for the spaying plus £120 for blood works etc, they didn't charge for removal of the tumour.
It always pays to ring around and get quotes and get a second opinion. This worked for Bailey, only on that occasion, my own horse vet did the running around, as they weren't equip to do the op.

Our rig was done at home in the horse shed. I think that was about £360 all in.

Took about an hour from start to having him back wobbling on his feet. Total success, offending testicle located and removed.

Awww. That's so nice for the dog. I had a tumor removed from my old dog (for $500 US = 320GBP) and it bought him two more very happy, energetic years before he passed away.

If you think £700 is bad, I just paid £1100 for one of my labs to be done, but it was an urgent thing, she has an infection in their which was life threatening.

My vet would get a very old fashioned look if he gave me a bill like that.

Give me a good, old fashioned farm vet any day, one who can do kitchen table surgery, or field hospital work, there and then, no messing.

That's what the vet thought she had, turns out though it wasn't :smile:

Its often missed and the dog dies before they get treatment. You don't get a long time to mess about with that condition.

My old lab goes off her food when she has tumours that irritate her. Had several removed and she now has another mammary one but she's nearly 13 and its not bothering her yet. They charge £250 for removal of mammary tumours at my vet.

newrider.com