reccomend your hormonal mare products please

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
Sofi has always been grouchy in season but last year she wasn't bad around poeple just other horses other than biting me once.
But this year she is horrendous she has not come into season yet but is going for the other horses, rearing up at her stable door when one of the geldings goes past, has been attempting to bite when rugged and has kicked shoved and bitten the girl who keeps her horses with mine (Sofi will be very agfgressive towards her in general) I've had a bit of stroppiness from her ears back when doing her rugs but nothing else.
Anyway she is on Blue chip Karma, which has helped a great deal but my vet has reccomended trying her on a supplement for hormonal mares aswell as he thinks her mood swings are to do with hormones.
So what do you all reccomend? Our local feed shop has got an offer on stroppy mare at the moment. Is this any good?

Thanks in advance.:)

Stroppy Mare and Placid both have the same effect on Libby and seem to take the edge off her marish fury. Camomile tea works for me and I think these products also have Camomile in them, so they probably give a similar soothing feeling.

Yep, Dodsell & Horrell Stroppy mare works wonders on mine. She is in season this week and is sooooooo much better! It's also one of the cheaper ones x

I found no difference to my mare with either stroppy mare or oestress.I now use topspec's calmer and it has worked wonders. My vet said that it is the vitamin b complex which is most useful for hormonal mares and the topspec has these plus magnesium which also helps to relax the muscles and relieve ovarian cramps. The other mare supplements are herbal based and as with people, some horses find relief from them and others do not. It is a case of trial and error really but apparently only the b vits and magnesium have any scientific evidence behind them. Hope you find something that suits your mare, its no fun having to dodge those teeth and heels;)

Regumate or hormonise both get my vote! Not sure if you have to get Regumate from a vet though?! Both are liquid form and go in feed. Hope that helps.:)

Regumate or hormonise both get my vote! Not sure if you have to get Regumate from a vet though?! Both are liquid form and go in feed. Hope that helps.:)

regumate is very effective, basically it is the equine version of the pill. you have to get it from the vet, it is horrendously expensive and has to be handled with gloves as the hormones can get into your system through the skin and affect your own hormone levels. it is also possible to have a marble inserted in your mares uterus to simulate pregnancy and this has a similar effect. If your mare is really bad why don't you have a chat with your vet about it? I had a lengthy discussion a couple of weeks ago whilst my mare was having her teeth done, vet talked me through all the options but his advise was that if she was manageable just to stick with what i'm already doing. The regumate or the marble are both effective but he advised that the side effects/risks were not something to be taken lightly. it is difficult to know what to do for the best sometimes and not nice when your lovely mare is obviously feeling rotten when in season. The thing to bear in mind with any supplement is that they take at least three weeks to show any effect so you must be patient and give them time to work. good luck:)

My haflinger mare has just her first season this year (unless she's had silent ones I've missed). She was an absolute nightmare until she came in. You have my total sympathy...it's a hell of a problem for us mare owners.

I like Hormonise I've used that before and it seemed to work. This year I've got Vitex from the laminitis trust place to try (same herbal product as hormonise). I've found the herbal liquid products more effective on my mare than the dried but it depends on the horse I think.

I guess..trying to be positive..at least we know what causes these tempers. There was a stage with mine when we thought she might just be plain nasty.:eek:

Sofi is fine with me and I know to ignore her mood swings and so she is generally very affectionate with me. but the girl who has her horses on livery seems to get the brunt of Sofs' mood swings. As do all the horses on the yard (she really hates the geldings with a passion. She is turned out alone but next door to bubbles as cant trust her in a field with anyone:rolleyes:

Hi it really is trial and error we tried our moody lady on Osteresse which had no effect then we tried hormonise and it has worked wonders,other people have recommended the stroppy mare one two.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Hormonal mare products

Hi,

Just wanted to add that my mare has been on Oestress for just over 1 month and the results have been fabulous!

My mare was wild until the age of 7 - running with stallions etc. so when she diaplys mareish behaviour its not done by halves!!! Nothing dangerous when riding her more awkward - horrid towards anything with 4 legs, twitchy, jumpy and spooky, evasive when schooling, nappy etc etc.

I would like to add that a lot of this has been combatted but consistent schooling and education BUT there has definately been a difference in the past month. Most notably Truusje ALWAYS comes into season when the other mares in the barn do - but this month they have all just come into season but she hasn't. I started her on 3 scoops a day for the first week - now she's on 2. When we finally get field turnout she'll go down to 1.

She is calmer and happier all round so although the product is expensive it gets the thumbs up from me. I buy mine online to get the best prices: 4dobbin.com seems to be the best place.

Good luck.

x

We use Oestress on Skyla also and give it a thumbs up

Also found Bioforce - Over dominance Essence to be great too for only £6.50 and needs 12 drops a day. Lasts for ages. Goes along the line for me more were horses self mdeciate naturally.

Hand prepared from the fresh flowers of plants and trees in the countryside. Fresh spring water is used to capture the essence of these fresh blooms. The flowers are captured on clear sunny days when they are at their best. Animals, like humans, can suffer with emotional problems and personality imbalances. Unable to verbally express how they feel or understand what is happening to them, their reactions to difficulties may be communicated through uncharacteristic behaviour e.g. fear, aggression, destructiveness etc. Flower Essences are natural products made from wild plants. They may be used to calm the emotions, lift spirits and bring out the individual's full potential.

regumate is very effective, basically it is the equine version of the pill. you have to get it from the vet, it is horrendously expensive and has to be handled with gloves as the hormones can get into your system through the skin and affect your own hormone levels. it is also possible to have a marble inserted in your mares uterus to simulate pregnancy and this has a similar effect. If your mare is really bad why don't you have a chat with your vet about it? I had a lengthy discussion a couple of weeks ago whilst my mare was having her teeth done, vet talked me through all the options but his advise was that if she was manageable just to stick with what i'm already doing. The regumate or the marble are both effective but he advised that the side effects/risks were not something to be taken lightly. it is difficult to know what to do for the best sometimes and not nice when your lovely mare is obviously feeling rotten when in season. The thing to bear in mind with any supplement is that they take at least three weeks to show any effect so you must be patient and give them time to work. good luck:)

A friend of mine went for the marble option with her mare, and it does seem to have made a big difference for her; she had tried regumate on advice of her vet, but this was proving very expensive! Having the marble inserted was a relatively simple procedure, and I'm sure cheaper in the long run, so might be worth discussing with your vet.

newrider.com