Rearing when tied to trailer

horse_lover0095

Feb 19, 2005
I was recently at my first show with my horse, and for the first few hours she was fine, but all of a sudden she would rear and freak out. She would stop as soon as I pulled the lead rope loose. She did it a total of four times and I decided to just hold the lead rope and not tie her up at all. Every time she did it I got really scared that she was gonna get hurt. If anyone has any ideas on how to prevent her from doing this, that would be great. Thanks

Just typing out loud here :p , but was she tied up short, if so maybe she couldn't look around enough and got panicked (just imagining standing 1' from trailer with lots going on and not being able to turn around and look). Did she have a haynet or something to keep her amused? if not, might help. If she's young/green/new to shows maybe she was just getting restless/bored?

Good luck

J x

Sometimes tying to elastic helps, rather than bailing twine. Robbies do (or at least, did) these elastic tie things. Helps with mine as he backs up to the pressure point with bailing twine, then rears and breaks something (last time it was the lead rope). With the elastic, he backs up, but as he can't find a pressure point, he normally comes back. Something psychological I think in him being able to think he's not tied to a fixed point and can get away, therefore he doesn't want to, but if he feels restricted he'll break away from it. Might be worth a try.

Ditto the others on boredom though. My horse does this immediately. If it was after being tied up for ages, I wouldn't blame him.

Last edited:
She wasn't tied up for too long at a time. I always took her on walks and lunged her so she wasn't standing there for hours on end. Also she did have a haynet, but she had ro share it with 2 other horses, so maybe they were being mean to her. I might try the elastic tie things. Thanks!

newrider.com