Really good one way.... real bad the other

G

gone24now

I have a bit of a dilemma that is getting quite frustrating and getting me down about my riding. I have a really good post and position when going in a counterclockwise direction. The rhythm is there, relaxed, very smooth. But the other way is horrible. During lessons we always work both ways, and although my counter direction has improved greatly, even though we've worked the other way as much I just can't seem to get it together. I can't find the rhythm, feel off balanced, and it feels really awful. Today my RI had me lunge no reins and close my eyes to really feel my position my good way and then did the same the bad way, and we did a few walk trot transitions with me sitting no hands eyes closed.

Has any of you found that you have experienced a good and bad direction? I have been trying to work that way more, but it feels so awful, and it doesn't seem to be improving at all. I need some insight and some suggestions to work this out.

Me at a show.... "No sorry....can we all circle just left please, me and my horse don't do right". How popular would I be.:p

OMG YES!

My good way is clockwise. Added into the mix is the fact that my horse is much better going clockwise too. So if you combine the fact that my poor side and my green horse's are on the same side then you can imagine the challenges we face :rolleyes:

Joy also has a prefered diagonal for me to rise on and although I am careful when we are out hacking to rise on the side diagonal to aid her development I can't help but feel like she is trying to throw me onto her prefered one.

So you are not alone! Keep working on it. It will come will time in the saddle I promise ;)

Glad to see I'm not the only one here with this problem.... it makes it worse when Luke doesn't go well that way either. Joyscarer, that is exactly it! Everything you said is what I'm also experiencing. The previous owner just used him for playing paintball and running around with their kids on him, so he's been a bit hard to break over into groundwork, w/t/c, yields, etc., this is all new to him so I should probably give him a bit of a break. No riding this week, just laying around in the field with him and hand walking and treats.
Pilgrim, yes it is practice. Things that we are good at we like to do so we do it often, things that we aren't good at are things we don't like to do and don't like to do them often. Oh well if all is tried and we only post one way.....to heck with it that's just the way it goes. :p I'm not using him for showing or eventing so whatever!! But good luck to the 2 of you!!:D

i have that problem too! i thought i was weird lol!
my bad side is clockwise (i think....not sure) however it seems to be getting better!
it's just practice practice practice!!!

Yes me too! I am bad anti-clockwise - I think it is due to my left leg side being weaker - as that is my inside leg in that direction. I was told horses are better one side than the other that is why in a lesson we do everything equally on each rein.Although I am not experienced enough to really feel the difference.

newrider.com