Really good experience of NH today :) (sorry long!)

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
I have for some time been having real problems with my mare hacking out so decided to give NH a bash and had someone come out to see what they could suggest. Started off with some basic groundwork, mainly moving my horse where I wanted her to go, turns out shes not very good at going backwards despite being more than eager to do this when im on her :rolleyes: so that is something to work on. Next I tacked her up but instead of just trying to go out the gate I walked her round the yard, stopped her at gate facing out then walked her round the yard again giving her a little scratch as I went for praise. next we walked out the yard and simply stood (right is the arena, left is out into the big scary world!) my mare refused to look left but we just stood (at this point this is usually where the battle begins- spinning, snorting etc) after more scratching I turned her left but just stood facing that direction (no leg on at all), more scratching then moved on , she tried to act up but I just simply halted her and stood, we carried on this process until we reached the bottom gate of the yard. I then jumped off and then led her back to the yard, jumped back on and repeated the same process, then we ventured on to the road. On the road she played up and tried to nap towards the gate but the NH person simply got hold of her (with me on board) and made her back up then move forward, back up then move forward, it worked but then she played up again so Nh person suggested I jump off and walk her in hand instead as road was a little busy (its usually quiet!), walked for a little bit then jumped back on with NH person walking alongside, my mare was a bit snorty but we didnt have the usual backing up, snorting, rearing antics (so 100% improvement in my eyes!) then we turned for home, cue 4 kids on bikes and skate boards bowling past but my horse didnt bat an eyelid! :rolleyes: a dog barked from behind a fence, i jumped, horse didnt! got back to the yard and jumped off at the first gate (this was her reward) NH person suggested lots of walks out in hand and then get on on the way home, carry on the groundwork and hopefully in the long term I will have a horse that is happy to hack out! They also said they thought she might of had a foal, might explain why sees been going all broody when she sees the newborns in the field next to the arena! and that my horse is a combination of scared and naughty (basically her problem with hacking out stems from fear but over time this has become a learnt behaviour). All in all an interesting day and so refreshing to know that I dont have to fight with my horse to get her to do something! Fingers crossed its onwards and upwards from here!

congrats! i did a similar process with my old mare as she hates hacking alone. It worked for us...but then my other mare came sound and i havent had to try to hack Rosie out on her own for a long time now....so im sure she will be back to her old tricks if i try again! lol! i also spent a long time leading off the yard and getting on at some point during the ride. It seriously helped BIG time for Rosie!

newrider.com