Real NZ bush - BEST RIDE EVER!!

Cochise

Jun 3, 2002
Auckland, New Zealand
20C this morning at 9am, so we were very pleased to hit the lovely shady trails!

We went a different way this time. Of course I didn't take my camera as I thought I had taken all the ear shots I'd need for a few weeks. I didn't bargain on what was going to be the BEST RIDE EVER!!! Luckily my flatmate had hers!!!

We went through this track that was full of toi tois, pungas, flaxes and ferns. It wound down and down....

PB080035sml.jpg

with Cheeky really swinging his stride and ears jammed hard forward. The other ponies kept getting left behind.

At the bottom of this track was a cute little stream which Cheeky angelically picked his way through and out of. Patu, the grumpy but awesome bush pony (bay pony in these shots) plunged in and pawed and pawed and pawed and pawed. Poor rider couldn't get her out! Eventually we did and we carried on up and up and up amongst the calls of the bell birds.

Suddenly, there was a great crashing through the bush on our right and Cheeky stopped sharp, eyes boggling. A great big Keruru (NZ wood pigeon) came plunging off a branch, narrowly missing his head before swooping off!
4121507-Keruru-the-NZ-Wood-Pigeon-0.jpg

But he recovered quickly and was on his way again.
PB080037sml.jpg

And sorry, it's quite big, but smiles all around!
PB080038.jpg

We won't be going out next weekend as I'm in Auckland, but we may do a twilight ride on a weeknight this week. :p

Oh yes, been there, done that with the cold temperatures this year! Am really enjoying the warmth, believe me!!

That isn't THE wood pigeon, just a picture of one so that you can see what they look like. They really are the clumsiest birds though and you can see why! :D

Oh yes, been there, done that with the cold temperatures this year! Am really enjoying the warmth, believe me!!

That isn't THE wood pigeon, just a picture of one so that you can see what they look like. They really are the clumsiest birds though and you can see why! :D

AH!!! so your doctoring your photos!!! is it really sunny, and have you been on these rides:confused: LOL.
Enjoy the sunshine:D

Hahaha! Well, that photo was found through google images and it's taken in the same area where we go riding, so it may just be the very same Keruru! :D

Rain's supposed to hit us tomorrow!

You have the best places to ride.

It's raining like mad where i am this morning you pictures have cheered me up.

I love those rolling shots of the English countryside too! :)

We had two weeks of solid rain and cold and on and off around that. I'm enjoying the steady temperatures and sunny weather before we relocate to 'four seasons in one day' Auckland! :rolleyes::D

newrider.com