RDA and my problem

Yankee1

Oct 6, 2009
I don't consider myself to be disable but the last 18 months, I have had a problem with my hips and my lower back. Diagnosis is wear and tear and arthritis due to old age. I am 62, have been riding for the last 18 yrs and own a lovely pony who has been with me for the last 16 yrs. I can get on him with a high mounting block and ride for about 30 minutes before the right hip and leg start to hurt then when it's time to dismount I can't swing my leg over the back of the saddle to dismount as it is stiff and painful, so I usually swing it over his neck and dismount on the mounting block with difficulty. I wonder if I should contact the RDA and see if they can help me find a solution to my problem as I don't want to stop riding. Right now I have a mental block about getting on him as I fear the dismounting part. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I feel frustrated and sad because I don't ride.

What you describe doesnt sound like RDA stuff to me. Or not yet.
It sounds pretty typical of riding in old age - what I experienced starting to ride aged 62, already with degeneration of my lower back.

The problems are not insurmountable and many have been discussed on NR in the past. I can only describe what I have done and what works for me.

First, on medical grounds - there were stages when my back was so bad that i couldnt sit on a normal chair without pain. In these circumstances clearly you shouldnt ride as it will be equally painful in the saddle. You need to have physio, get special seat supports, learn to manage your back and think of riding only when you are coping with daily life. I was told by my consultant not to ride, but I eventually decided to try it and found that it has been good for my back, especially rising trot.
But before encouraging you to soldier on, I must warn you that I do things in moderation. I dont walk too far before loosening up with rising trot (so a 2 hour Western trail ride is hard).
I dont canter sitting too far or canter far on two consecutive days.

The first imperative is to have a horse or pony that is not too wide in the barrell - you need to be able to sit straight across the horse, with your two knees even, not one further forward than the other. This is true for all older people. some broad backed ponies or cobs may be hard to ride, so the fact that you own a pony already may be creating a problem?

I find my weight is a factor too. if I put on weight the bulk of my thighs adds to the width of the horse.

Having short stirrups can also put more pressure on the base of your spine. A good RI let down my stirrups. You dont want to ride in a "frog" position.

Some of the pain in your hips and legs may be referred pain from your spine. it is with me, but it depends on the state of your hips. It hurts me if I put too much weight on my left hip when riding - so I automatically ride crooked to escape the pain. Horses dont actually mind this at all, but one needs to be aware of ways in which one is adjusting one's seat , and then compensate with other correcting aids if the horse too goes crooked as a result.

Next the saddle. A high cantle makes it hard to sit comfortably without putting pressure on the base of one's spine. My favourite riding school hack has been given a different saddle which is too small for my bottom. But since you own your tack you could find one that is comfy for you. I have ridden one or twice in a treeless saddle but personally at various schools have found a GP saddle or soft dressage saddle just fine. It is not something that really strikes me unless the saddle hurts me.

To reduce the wear on my joints I ride in Sprenger stirrups. I also try to alternate sitting in walk and canter with rising trot and forward seat which removes the weight from ones spine. I turn up at the yard disgracefully late -the consultant said not to take exercie before mid morning, so my body had a chance to loosen up first.

For mounting and dismounting (dismounting especially) there have been recent detailed threads. As I have posted many times, the Pony Club Handbook gives instructions for less able bodied people to dismount with the help of the left foot remaining in the stirrup until the right leg has cleared the cantle. My OH and I have never dismounted any other way. Please look at the recent thread.

My OH didnt start riding till he was 67 and we are now 71 years old, so we regard all these things as normal. Your medical condition is something on which I cant comment. But degeneration and increased crookedness is very common in old age and far more attention needs to be paid to providing happy riding for the elderly. There is so much for children and for the disabled, but next to nothing for us. Our teacher is one of the few who takes it seriously and taught one beginner who was already 70 years old.

It could well be that you need someone similar to help you. Dont go to any old riding school who will sneer at you and wring their hands and say its impossible, which is what happened to me.

You dont say where you live? But if you want to ride, there is hope and the RDA should not be your only option.

Last edited:
Subscribing to this thread so I can find it later :)

I'm an RDAI instructor, I largely agree with Skib but if you are more comfortable dismounting by swinging your leg over the front of the saddle then there are safe and unsafe ways to do it.
I'll expand later when I have a minute :)

What you describe doesnt sound like RDA stuff to me. Or not yet.

Skib, Thanks for the feedback.:smile: I appreciate it.:smile:

I have had chiropractic treatment and doctors prescribed NSAID for the pain then some other med which made me feel ill and drowsy so I stick to the Ibuprofen and I don't ride when my back is acting up. Sitting for too long and at night in bed is when it bothers me the most. Usually it gets better when I get up and keep moving. It is old age wear and tear and the fact that I fell off a lot in the past aggravated the arthritis.

Yes, I think the fact that he is a pony and that I ride in a treeless probably does not help. I do have an Heather Moffett hip saver on the saddle.
I do ride in long stirrups and sometimes without stirrups and I have Sprenger
stirrups. I have been looking for an instructor who would understand the problem and could work with me on the problem, but so far no luck. I live in N. Yorkshire.

Would it be useful to move this thread to the Mature section?

There is far too little discussion of riding for the "elderly" and in spite of my pleas, years ago, the BHS dont pay it special attention.
There are two groups of people who need careful teaching - the one's who start to ride after they retire - setting realistic goals etc. And accepting that, while we may get mentally more competent, in the sense of persuading a horse to do what WE want, we get less elegant physically.

And then there are the experienced riders like you - who want to keep going because you already love it do much.

In a way it is hard for people who have ridden all their lives because they can recall their earlier athleticism in the saddle. So many people I know who rode when young no longer do so and are amazed that OHand I still do. It doesnt make sense.

Since you are so knowledgeable, I do think you are right and it would be a good idea for you to send an enquiry both to the BHS and also to the RDA about a possible instructor near to you who is knowledgeable about riding for the elderly.

And do report back here please.

I am not wonderful at computers but here is the link (I hope ) to the most recent thread on dismounting for the elderly. My reply is low down in the thread - delayed as we were away at the time. And sent from a hotel computer unable to copy in the more positive dismounting advice I had saved on my computer.
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215674&highlight=cavalry+dismount

Last edited:
Yankee I feel your pain. At 56 I too have quite a lot of back/hip issues going on but am determined to continue enjoying my riding. In my thirties and forties I loved long hacks, exploring new places, out for hours.

These days I enjoy my riding in other ways. Now I see you are in N Yorkshire, perfectly placed to enjoy the Tai Chi and Riding clinics which take place three times a year near Masham. James Shaw visits from the USA and teaches healing exercises for our broken bodies in the mornings, followed by riding lessons in the afternoons. I love taking Lady to these. The people are nice, and we have a lot of fun in a very supportive atmosphere.

James teaches all levels from beginner to advanced dressage, much of it at walk to start with.
Might be just what you need?

Yankee I feel your pain. At 56 I too have quite a lot of back/hip issues going on but am determined to continue enjoying my riding. In my thirties and forties I loved long hacks, exploring new places, out for hours.

These days I enjoy my riding in other ways. Now I see you are in N Yorkshire, perfectly placed to enjoy the Tai Chi and Riding clinics which take place three times a year near Masham. James Shaw visits from the USA and teaches healing exercises for our broken bodies in the mornings, followed by riding lessons in the afternoons. I love taking Lady to these. The people are nice, and we have a lot of fun in a very supportive atmosphere.

James teaches all levels from beginner to advanced dressage, much of it at walk to start with.
Might be just what you need?
Hi Gill,
how would I find out when James Shaw is coming next to Masham?

Riding with arthritis

Well, I practiced getting on and off my pony yesterday with the mounting block. It was not graceful and it was painful but I did it a few times. I tried getting on and off with my left leg over the back of the saddle and I was so stiff, then I tried getting off him with my left leg over his neck and that was better. Then I rode him in the school for a few minutes. Walk was ok and sitting trot was ok but only for a few strides .I couldn't handle rising trot. Also, my legs are not very strong right now so he was not walking actively. I then got off him without the mounting block in the school (soft surface). Not good as I landed on my knees. I am going to keep trying as I do want to ride if only once a week.

PM Monty - she doesn't come on a lot but should answer a PM.

Because of her disability she has to dismount with her leg over the neck and has a special neckstrap with a handle on it (made by our very own Wally :D ) to help.

. I have been looking for an instructor who would understand the problem and could work with me on the problem, but so far no luck. I live in N. Yorkshire.

Maybe a Centered Riding instructor would be able to help; CR uses the mind more than the muscles, and the aim (as I understand it) is for the rider to do as little as possible and allow the horse to move.

Certainly my instructor is very aware of the rider's physical limitations and the best way to deal with them. Unfortunately we're at the other end of England, so it's not much good recommending her, but there's a list on the Centered Riding website.

http://www.centeredriding.org/instructors-search.asp

newrider.com