Rare cream foal - bbc news

Definitely not the fourth of his kind - cremellos are not that uncommon.

And a dun is not a golden colour with black points either... it's totally separate from cream. She's meaning buckskins...

I don't think they are that rare either, I am sure there are a couple of members here who own cremellos as well. There are 10 for sale on Horsemart right now.

Maybe they mean its very rare to get a cremello Welsh Cob, rather than a cremello in general. Cute foalie, though.

Well that's mildly annoying isn't it, I don't like the misinformation there! Don't they have researchers at the bbc, or can you just make up what you like? I have a very rare jack russell don't you know..she is only one of 7 in britain that are *tri coloured*:D Foaly is cute though, I like cremellos anyway:)

I don't think cremellos are that rare (i almost whack anyone who calls them ugly, though :eek: i happen to think it's one of the prettiest colours, along with golden duns ad strawberry roans - but i'm going off on one :p!) i haven't come across many but that is probably because i don't get out enough :eek:;):D!

ETA: Just did a horsemart search - it came up with 10 - and that's just the ones who are for sale in the UK from people who choose to advertise on horsemart!

Last edited:
Well that's mildly annoying isn't it, I don't like the misinformation there!

It is quite misinformed;

"They don't normally throw [father] cremello foals. A cremello stallion will always throw a palomino or a dun. "

He'll only always throw palomino if used on a chestnut mare.

He won't throw dun at all (unless mare is dun).

On another cream dilute you have 50% chance of single dilute, 50% chance of cremello foal.

"Almost all light coloured horses begin life as a darker colour before turning to light grey but cremello are born a cream."

That is only true of grey foals, which is a completely different gene. Palomino foals are born pale too.

And of course we have the old dun/buckskin confusion... dun and cream are two different genes both in action and appearance.

:eek: I know I'm a bit of an anorak...

BHS are a bit misleading too, saying that the colour is so rare - the Cremello Society run classes specifically for cremello horses and are attracting more and more members - so they really are not that rare...

Yeah, not so rare. Friend of mine had one til recently. Anyone know the breeder? Could we get her to explain what she means? Even the British Horse Societ were saying how rare they are. Perhaps it's due to people not registering cremellos with them.Did anyone notice the link to 'Britain's oldest twin horses'? Am I being thick: thought a mare couldn't carry 2 foals to term and one always had to be aborted...?:confused:

Twins do sometimes survive but are more often lost. There have been a fair few cases of twins carried successfully to term but the risks to mare and foals are very high, which is why you wouldn't want a twin pregnancy.

yes i;ve know a few cremello's too, and at least 2 have been welsh cobs:confused:

cinnamontoast - mares can carry twins but it is far more usual that they abort one. but it is possible. i believe it puts the mare at far greater risk of prolapse after birth though so most 'twins' have one sacrificed anyway for the health of the mare.

i think chev should phone the bbc and astound them with her genetic knowledge lol:D

This is the BBC your talking about! The ones that replaced the Farming Programme with Countryfile and have one of the Goodies and that dumb "Oh isn't it Sweet" girl introducing Springwatch Live in the middle of Summer!:D

I have seen quite a few cremellos so not really thinking that they ae that rare.

Nikki xxx

newrider.com