Random **** shovelling thoughts

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Are you ambidextrous with a fork?

Poo picking is so much quicker with a shavings fork, but my lower back on one side really gripes, and I’m slower and less accurate if I pick with my non dominant side and it looses the advantage over a scoop, maybe I just need to keep practicing.

Nope, I’m definitely one sided, several years ago I was advised by physio to muck out left handed to protect the muscle damage on my right side, it used to take absolutely ages but I did get better with practise, however as soon as I was healed up I swapped right back and have never gone lefty again.

Reactions: Jessey
Now that's interesting @Jessey . Why do you say a shavings fork is quicker? I haven't tried it myself but have seen other liveries using a shavings fork and it looks a real trial!

No, I'm not ambidextrous for poo-picking, but I do use a child-size garden rake for doing it. It's way better than the equestrian version rake that comes with a scoop.

Now that's interesting @Jessey . Why do you say a shavings fork is quicker? I haven't tried it myself but have seen other liveries using a shavings fork and it looks a real trial!
It’s definitely quicker for me, either picking off of sand or short grass but long grass it’s harder as it snags and then it’s slower and I switch to a scoop. I can get a poo up and into the wheelbarrow 10+ft away in one motion with a fork, so I spend less time going back and forth to the barrow or moving it next to me, and on a good day on sand I barely break stride at each pile so whizz around.

Reactions: carthorse
I can’t think for the life of me which way I sweep, will have to think about it next time I do.

Sorry for putting the idea into your head! I guess it also depends on what type of broom you use, I normally use a corn broom rather than a push in front of me yard broom.

No im not. Thats why my back is shot to bits. I am as crooked as anything. Ive even tried hoovering left handed. My coordination is terrible lefy handed.

I guess poo picking with a shavings fork is probably easier on sandy ground but on grass it certainly isnt.
I have two different poo forks that came with the scoops one digs in the ground something awful. The other is light but i found using the zig zag bit dragged, so i use to use the flat side poo picking in the field.

Sorry for putting the idea into your head! I guess it also depends on what type of broom you use, I normally use a corn broom rather than a push in front of me yard broom.
Witchy broom I def do both sides, push broom I think I do both too, but definitely going to have to test 😂

Thinking about it now I don’t know if I can scoop left handed, I often put it between my feet and use both hands to save my back 🤔

Yep thats exactly how i use to poo pick, scoop balanced at the feet so the handle rocked back into my leg.

No i advise we dont attempt trying left handed or we will all end up straining muscles we aint use to using.🤣

Interesting. Broom wise i am okay with both but find it easier with my dominant side. Shoveling i am the same really. Mucking out with my left i am okay. But throwing poo up the muck heap with my left i might aswell just give it up and not try! Im that bad!

long grass it’s harder as it snags and then it’s slower and I switch to a scoop. I
Ah well, my winter feed is all long and bumpy so my scoop is best. I am short and I like to lean my tummy on the scoop handle to keep it still, then I have both hands to wield the fork and/or scraper.

I apologise in advance if I sound very thick here, and my excuse is that I’m extremely tired, but how do I know whether I sweep or muck out etc with my dominant hand? Does it depend on which hand I’d higher up on the handle or something?

I can just tell that thinking about this is going to keep me awake tonight 😂

poo picking the field is easy for me, I use my hands and a pair of gloves rather than any type of tool.

I apologise in advance if I sound very thick here, and my excuse is that I’m extremely tired, but how do I know whether I sweep or muck out etc with my dominant hand? Does it depend on which hand I’d higher up on the handle or something?
I think it’s just really if you always do it the same way whichever way that may be.

For me I’m right handed, the fork handle goes on my right side and my right hand is at the end of the handle.

I tested scooping left handed, I can, but I definitely make more mistakes (I kept catching the scoop with the rake).

I can just tell that thinking about this is going to keep me awake tonight 😂

poo picking the field is easy for me, I use my hands and a pair of gloves rather than any type of tool.

Yep something like that. Its like which hand do you right with. Now stick the pen in your other hand and write. 90% of people cant. No coordination. Its so crooked, it illegible. You might even write the letter backwards.

Nope, I’m definitely one sided, several years ago I was advised by physio to muck out left handed to protect the muscle damage on my right side, it used to take absolutely ages but I did get better with practise, however as soon as I was healed up I swapped right back and have never gone lefty again.

You may still have a preference but we know you can draw/paint with the other hand. Weve seen the evidence. Maybe because you had practise mucking out.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com