Random one - bow top info wanted :)

moogarin

Feb 23, 2009
Bristol, UK :)
Hey:) Does anyone have any experience of driving horses in bowtop wagons? This is something I've been interested in getting into for ages, and so far have not managed it... Has anyone driven a horse in one before, or know anything about it, how it differs from driving in a standard exercise cart, weights, load, brakes (I have to admit to knowing nothing about brakes for downhill...any info on that one?!) etc?

I've done a bit of driving, and I plan to do a LOT more before I go venturing off in a bowtop, and more importantly I need to get a) the right (and I'm sure gorgeous!) cob who knows his job, and then b) the wagon, but any info would be appreciated :) I'm based in Gloucesteshire...if anyone drives bowtops around here I'd love to visit! :)

Also, if a horse had never pulled one before, any ideas on how i'd introduce him to one, as they're so much bigger than traps!!?
Thankyou :)

When I lived in Derry Hill about 20 years ago there was one regularly going past the school. I saw the lady again a couple of years back in Calne, her son (I'm guessing he was her son!) leading a steady black cob and her sat on the front.

That's as close as I get, sorry! :)

OOH!!! Just remembered, you used to be able to get bowtop driving holidays!!! Try googling?

Although I've broken my own horse to harness (lightly) I'm not massively experienced. I have however driven a bow top a few years previously.

We went on a gypsy caravan holiday for 4 days in Wiltshire. It didn't cost us very much and we were (obviously) given plenty of training before we were allowed out. Because we were only allowed to walk due to the weight of the caravan I actually found it much easier than driving my own horse. The main problem we had was with kerbing the caravan (misudging corners - I do the same thing with my lorry!).

The caravan did have brakes which were simple to work out downhill - when the breeching strap was pushing on the horses rear, slip the breaks on!!

Why don't you see if there is somewhere that you can go to give it a try with a more experienced horse before you take the plunge with your own (green on green = black n blue and all that!).

Good luck!!

Our neighbour has one - a real beauty! He takes it to shows and exhibitions but I've never seen him out driving it. I suspect they are very very heavy and would need good brakes for going down hills otherwise the poor horse would be taken off its feet!
The romance of it all captivates me. I would suggest the gypsy caravan holiday route to begin with then keep an eye out for a suitable one to buy - some people make them themselves and you will see loads of them if you venture to Appleby Fair. A genuine one can cost as much as £80,000!!!

Moogarin; Does it 'Have to be' a full on Bow Top? And, if so, how fully on would ye be after?

Reason I ask is that a more 'authentic, original' Bow Top was (and is) considered a bit of a beast. They are heavy and so take a proportionate level more handling.

That's why many people (again, then and now) look to an Open Lot instead. That's a far lighter and more manageable sort of 'Bow Top'. Perhaps ye've seen them? Look pretty much like a Bow Top, only they have two vertical poles at the front, rather than a front door. Front opening is just closed up with canvas.

Thing is, they're actually a dray with a " Bow " built on top of it. So, if ye horse can pull a cart, it's not far away from pulling a cart with some extra fittings, see? :)

Of course, the Open Lot's popularity today drives the price up. But, a full Bow Top (or any other vardo) isn't cheap ~ tell me anything horse wise that is?! :eek: But, if ye seriously considering that dream? I'd seriously suggest looking at Open Lots.

Breaks etc? Yeppers; Hand break operated by a small wheel which cranks a pad onto the wheel. Then ye'd have a Slip Pan (sort of like a metal Dust Pan) that jammed under a back wheel ~ to much horrible, grating noise and some sparking!). For going up hill, a " Roller " was employed. Like a hard wood rolling pin. Idea being that it jammed up beneath the wheel, if ye started going backwards.

Put " Open Lot " into Google and see what comes up. May be food for thought?

Get either and Please show us. I'll personally be sick with envy! :D I'd have got one myself, but I've really got no where to go now. I'm quite content where I am and with what I have.

There was a beauty went for sale at Thimbleby and Shoreland last year...£67.000 I think it was.

How interesting, had no idea they were so expensive. We hack past a house most days where there are usually 3 or 4 in various stages of renovation.
I hope you achieve your goal, occasionally see the odd Bow top parked up locally for a few days with the occupants cooking over a fire. Even in these days, its a sight that takes your breath away.

Are we permitted to display other peoples (commercial) links here? Only there's a pretty good private ad's board I've followed for some years now: Dragon Driving.

There's a fair bit of, what I'd consider, muck 'n rubbish goes on there. But, ye pays ye money, I suppose?

Scroll down to the bottom. Couple of, possibly, acceptable Bow Tops there. £8,500 each. Or, up a shade, there's a nice Open Lot for £6,000 ono. Pretty typical prices just now. All depends on exactly what ye looking for :)

I don't know whether the tradition of the vardo or the lure of the open road is the biggest temptation for you.

If the latter, I would highly recommend David Grant's book 'The Seven Year Hitch'.

For either interest (or for almost anyone with any interest!), I recommend by the same author, 'The Wagon Travel Handbook'.

My uncle made a bow top years ago. It was fantastic -really authentic.
He bought a horse and used to take people on mini-holidays.
Sorry, no help to OP, but jogged my memory:)

newrider.com