Rain Scald

Flash, my new pony that I rescued from a local farmers field after the owner abandoned him has among his many other problems:eek: rain scald on is back. I've never had a horse with it before, and to be honest have no idea how to treat it:confused:. Any advice would be much appreciated.

picture.php

We noticed a couple of bald patches on our horse several weeks ago. Vet was out last week for routine annual injection so we asked her what we suspected as rain scald. Yes, we were correct. She told us to use Hibi scrub. Apparently its the same condition as mud fever.

My mare had mild rain scald last october. I mixed hibscrub with water and put it in an old spray bottle. Then i sprayed it over the scald and rubbed it in. I didn't rinse is off. When the scabs became loose I gently removed them with my fingers ( gentle scratching) After that it's best to try and keep the area dry as much as possibe. It took 2-3 weeks to clear completely. Some people suggested trying to remove the scabs as soon as possible but I think it's better so do it once they are ready to come off as it is not as sore for the horse.
Good luck
x

Thx that was what I thought when I saw him, he's been neglected for the last few years so this week is going to be rather expensive, worming, farrier, innoculations & dentist, he hasn't been looked at in over a year, his feet are a mess, hate to think what his teeth are like..... but he has a great character and has already settled in with my other horse
picture.php

Last edited:
A friend of mine was advised to protect it with Caneston Cream...as Rainscald is a bacteria similar to thrush and Athletes foot apparently.

He is lvely, how old is he? Have you got any ridden plans for him once you have him healthy and fit again? :)

poor ted has rain scald too --- for the first time ever

i think it's because his back is so wide that he has been damp for long periods during the winter cos rain doesn't run off him

this was his first winter out 24/7 -- he was happier and is not fat this year -- he trashes all rugs by scraping them on bushes and fences, they last less than an hour so that's no good as a preventive measure

i've hibiscrubbed and put nappy cream on him, but he is so sorry for himself -- and tomorrow i go into hosp for my op and it may be six weeks til i see him -- i know my pal will look after him but i can't help fretting

roll on dry weather -- (but if it's sunny he gets sunburn -- and will not kee a mask of any sort on so i can't cover his poor nose -- he is very good about thick suncream being applied though thank goodness)

A friend of mine was advised to protect it with Caneston Cream...as Rainscald is a bacteria similar to thrush and Athletes foot apparently.

He is lvely, how old is he? Have you got any ridden plans for him once you have him healthy and fit again? :)

I believe he is nine going on two, been totally neglected for the last few years so it will be a slow process to get him back on track. He's just loving all the attention he's getting and being out with my other horse. Just wormed him:eek:, farrier on Wednesday:eek:, dentist:eek: & vet:eek: on Thursday. Thought it best to get everything over with as quickly as possible:eek:

newrider.com