Quick question on loaning

dragonfarmgirl

Oct 26, 2008
cheshire/shropshire
I'm sorry if some of you are seeing this more than once but I am posting in different groups to get lots of opinions.

Quick question about loaning. I am offering my 3 and a half yr old arab filly for full loan but she is unbroken which means that someone will have to put in time and effort to start her and bring her on. What length of loan shall I offer to take this into account ? I thought 3yrs, but do you think longer ? If I know she is happy I am pretty likely to leave her longer but I need time to get used to the idea of letting her go so can't promise anything after the loan period that would be agreed.

I would be very grateful for your opinions x

I wouldnt put a time frame on it ... some horses arw broken and ridden away quite quickly and others take much longer. I would also be very VERY picky about your loaner. Look into there back ground with horses etc. Dont want a day dreamer ruining her.

If your looking for a loaner to put that much time and effort in I would be prepared to either completely step back and let them kind of completely take over her education ... (remember your askibg someone to pay you to break your horse in effectively), or find someone who wants to be mentored

just my personal opinion

I have replied on FB! But having read your other threads here I can understand why you want to do this but really suggest finding somewhere cheap to keep her for a few months, it is not a good time of years to be selling/loaning anyway and may give you space for a rethink.

Last edited:
Thanks EML, I do appreciate your opinion. She is somewhere cheap for now thanks to a friend but I thought I would start trying to put out feelers or to explore all options.
I just gifted my rescue thoroughbred, Poppy, to her loaners after 4 months as they are absolutely wonderful so I may end up doing the same with Kessa. I just need to be sure !
Thanks x

Thanks Dannii, I would be very picky about a loaner and would make sure we thought the same way about how starting should be done etc.
I had a thoroughbred on loan and have learned to sit back and let go and not interfere but be there to advise if asked. They posted regularly on face book and it worked so well I have just gifted Poppy to them so fingers crossed it may work out for Kessa :) x

If its any help I took on mine at 2.5 yrs knowing I had a lot of work ahead of me. She was a permanent loan that turned into being gifted. I was and still am in touch with the previous people who wanted her to be "gently started"
So you can choose someone before you loan whose way of handling/thinking/behaviour you like the sound of first. Word and mouth is very valuable.

newrider.com