Question for us ladies

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Does anyone else have problems with their bra straps going all over the place especially if wearing a body protector?
Does anyone actually not use one riding? I am getting to this stage, so suggestions would be useful, its annoying.

Too much holding mine in place! Hate BPs with a passion. 'part from the pro air one

Lol I hate bra straps!I fixed the problem with crop top style bras with the wider straps,I still have a couple thin strapped for occasions of strappy tops but for the yard always my crop top style even with strappy tips!the ones I have were from matalan and they have a padded cup and support,very comfy i don't even know I'm wearing it.

No, I don't have a problem with the straps. I don't go mad for my bp but feel a lot safer in it, specially in spring and when she's been off work lol! I do find it gives me support though which is nice.

If your bra straps are moving around, I would suggest that either your bra or your BP doesn't fit properly. I wear my BP everytime I ride, and I never had that problem. I always make sure I get my bras properly fitted as I need proper support for them!! If you are happy your bra fits well, perhaps try another type with thicker straps?

A properly fitting bra shouldn't do that.

It may be that whilst wearing your BP this shifts where your breasts sit so you might need to temporarily tighten the straps and then loosen them off again afterwards.

I have not noticed this! Although this post has made me realise that I haven't worn my BP the last few times I've ridden - just forgotten! I guess I must be feeling safer with Poppy!

With all the will in the world, I do have this problem, although not with sports bra, more likely with normal bras every now and then if I go to the field straight from work and have to lug stuff around. Sometimes gravity can't be defied with even the best bra!
I'd get yourself a sports bra with racer straps, or as a quick fix, take a hair band and grab both of your bra straps on your back together and put the hairband round both straps and loop through to tie a knot. Keeps them together and they won't fall down :wink:
I'd maybe suggest your straps are too long if putting your bp on is making them slip down.

I get this with some bras. My current ones are ok. I tend to find the 'plunge' bras are worse like 'Wondabra' etc.

Get yourself a sports bra with wide integral shoulders. Most big department stores do them and I think M & S have a range.

Mountain Horse and Equitech do them as well.

I am having a 'knickers' issue atm but I am too embarrassed to talk about it:giggle: I have just ordered some Equitech ones, they are a bit pricy but worth a try for some comfort lol

Last edited:
I am having a 'knickers' issue atm but I am too embarrassed to talk about it:giggle: I have just ordered some Equitech ones, they are a bit pricy but worth a try for some comfort lol

Lol, can't be as bad as a few years ago when I went hacking in a silly pair of lacey knickers, which became unbearable about half way through.......:tongue::frown::redface: Never again, tis big pants all the way. I think the reason I had them on was cos I was wearing quite light coloured jodhs and wanted to make sure nothing showed that shouldn't - think vpl etc. Oh dear.

Please dont stop wearing a bra New Forest.
The girl who hacked with me many years and encouraged me because I was the same age as her Mum, a girl without whom I guess I might never have learned to ride, took me to task and said I absolutely must start wearing a good sports bra every time I rode. Even though I wore a body protector and imagined that supported me.
She told me the breast tissue would be damaged by the cantering - and if that is true for an old bag like me, it must be true for you. I had already had a breast cancer scare.
Ever since, I have ridden in shock absorber bras. Mine have wider straps than a dressy bra and dont slip. But you need to shop around for something that fits you as it will vary from person to person. In fact I wear them all the time, unless I am going out in the evening as they are comfortable and I dont need to change when I go riding.
She told me other things too. Really looked after me.

I don't have enough boob for this to be an issue tbh :redface: But they say about 80% of women wear the wrong size bra so I think it's worth getting properly fitted. My left strap slides off my shoulder sometimes when I ride but that's only when I'm wonky!

My bra straps slip down my shoulders but that is because I really don't need a bra and I don't do the straps up tight enough!!!

If I go to the yard straight from the gym I will leave my gym top on underneath a clean T-Shirt (it has normally dried out a bit by then) no chance of moving with them on.

My BP is a great bra but I have schooled many times with no bra on all is OK until sitting trot:yellowcarded::giggle:

My sports bra dosnt shift, and nor does anything in it, even in the bounciest rsing trot.

But it is made from iron girders, by a Russian welder, who has had a bra described to him, but never actually seen one. :wink:

Ouch, don't fancy sitting trot without.

Will invest in a sports one and no I won't add photos. :running:

I'm quite dinky but am fairly "curvy" :wink: but the big problem I have is that my shoulders are really small so if the bra fits my back and chest, the shoulders usually don't adjust to be small enough. I recently had to go shopping for a sports bra as I got back into running, and the difference has been amazing! Can highly recommend a well fitted one to ride in.

Gawd, you're a lucky bunch if you don't need one, or feel happy riding in just a sports bra. I wear two sports bras and my body protector and only then do I feel like they don't move.
I'm also embarrassed to say that I had a new one delivered to my parents' address (always someone there to sign for stuff) and my mum was having a look at it when my dad came in and asked what the new rucksack was for. I almost died.

newrider.com