QoD 9th Dec 2012 - who's still riding in December?

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
So who's still able to get out there and ride? I'm stuck, the field and surrounding area is an ice rink. Gutted cause I've been really getting to grips with my riding lately.

I took Ben out for a 2 hour ride at 7:30am this morning. It was lovely, there was no frost or ice and the ground was suitable for some lovely long canters. Shame that the rest of the winter can't be like today.

It's fine down here, there was mention we were going to get a big freeze but now the forecast seems to have changed and is not looking bad, hope your thaws soon so you can get out and about with Flip again

I can! We hardly ever get any rain or snowfall so the worst that will happen is it gets too cold for comfort. And with me having both the horses and the arena in my backyard it's sort of hard to find an excuse not to ride

Yes its mild here. Also have school that hasn't frozen yet.

Its just poured with rain.

It's gone mild again here, had the in-laws around this weekend so didn't ride this weekend, but going to be back in the saddle tomorrow :dance: :biggrin:

Aha, just read your other thread and now know what QoD means!

Yes, it's been well above freezing here today, although rather windy. The ground is still very waterlogged though so we have only been round the village, but it's better than nothing, plus a big lorry came past us, which is good for Raf's road training (he has a problem with tractors/lorries and I'm such a wuss I tend to avoid roadwork rather than trying to get him used to them). So every cloud and all that ...

Must be rubbish for all those who can't get out though - sending thawing vibes :cold::hot:

Went out yesterday and today, only weekends though, I'm not into riding in the dark, we have 'floodlights' for the shcool, but they are a bit dim and I am too knackered after work to fight for a space as the young 'uns are belting round at the speed of light.

I managed to get out today. Was very windy and we got soaked but last weekend was too icy so hadn't ridden for 2 weeks. I'm more of a fair weather rider really but needed to take advantage of the lack of ice. Roll on spring!

Us!! Very cold yesterday morning, so stuck to more main roads where the traffic had defrosted the road, and today windy and overcast, but fine.

Only in the indoor arena - very icy conditions here. Helped YO make a path made of stall muckings to improve footing for the horses. I can't help but think one of them is going to slip and either strain something or break a leg.

No ice today, hacked out, just the mud to contend with! Most routes are too muddy, especially after it was so wet for potato and beet harvest, the tracks got pretty cut up by tractors. So sticking to least muddy bits, no chance of cantering, little chance of safely being able to break out of walk! We are not allowed to trot on roads either at moment due to poor hooves. Boo.

Me. Like every winter. Twice a week. RS horse booked in advance. regardless of weather.
Winter is when riding matters to me. I took up riding because I needed something I really loved, that could be done from home and keep me going through winter.
Yes we have had mud, frozen ground, limitations (or need good judgement) about what we ask the horses to do. But the riding has been wonderful - energetic, intelligent horses, empty landscape, fresh air, good exercise.

My sharer is still riding once a week on a Saturday. Somehow the sun always seems to shine for her and she very rarely misses.

I am fencing like billio today then hope to start a riding routine tomorrow. I love riding in the winter, I sometimes get to hot/horse gets to hot in the summer (all native type cobs). I go out in most weather with the exception for very high winds, fog, snow or ice or really heavy rain/thunder/lightening (which we have had more of our fair share of this year).

I don't canter if the ground is very hard or very slippery/muddy.

For the last week we have had some nutter shooting pigeons on adjacent land. For the first two days it was making the horses potty, sending them galloping round the field at high speed. Now the gun is still going off and they have decided they can't be bothered:giggle:

Its like.....bang!...10mins passes....bang bang bang.....another 10mins passes....bang bang bang bang.....15 mins passes ("are hes fooked off" thinks I)...bang bang bang:rolleyes:. I am hoping (whoever he/she is) they have tired of it this week or had to go back to work lol.

newrider.com