Pushing over / preventing horse drifting

nirikina

Jan 19, 2002
Scotland
In lessons and normal schooling I understand and regularly use inside leg to push a horse out on a circle or outside leg to stop him drifting out. I'm wondering how much it really works though? My share horse doesn't like puddles. So in the outdoor school she'll try to go round them and I have to try to push her back onto the track. Often it doesn't work. What's worse though is out on a hack. When she tries to avoid puddles on a hack I often end up pushed into a hedge or under overhanging trees (or once a car parked at the side of the track). When a horse is determined, and physically stronger than the rider, how can nudging and pushing with your legs make any difference? Is is a case of more schooling to get the obedience?

When a horse is determined, and physically stronger than the rider, how can nudging and pushing with your legs make any difference?

I'm glad you asked this question, as I often wonder sort of the same thing.

I'm guessing you are escalating your aids, right? I mean, you push with your leg for horse to move over, horse ignores your request, so you nudge with your heel/tap with your crop, etc. and continue to use ever more vigorous aids (with legs, weight, rein, etc.) until the horse does what you ask.

My theory is the horse will finally comply when the aids become more annoying than the thing s/he is trying to avoid. But this isn't a very satisfying answer, because it suggests there is some point at which the horse will refuse no matter what you do.

I'm interested to read what other people think. Good question!:)

Oh, yes, this does actually work in real life :) If your aids are strong and precise, you can use your legs and seat to aim a horse where you want to go.

Some things that you may need to consider:
* If your seat is not secure, your legs may swing or may not rest quite where they should. If you are trying to use your legs on the wrong part of the horse's barrel, they won't be as effective.

* Also if your seat is not secure, you may not be pressing as firmly/softly as you think you are.

* As with anything else, a single strong pressure may not be tremendously effective; the horse can brace and ignore you. If you use a press-release-press-release, it may be both more clear to the horse and more effective.

* If you do not have a consistent contact on both reins, the leg and seat aids can come across muddled. The horse must be able to feel your contact for the legs to be as clear as they should be. I suspect that this last point may be where you're having difficulty, as a lot of people will relax their rein aids when out "hacking" instead of schooling.

When you ask a horse to move off your leg, you aren't "pushing" him over, but using an aid that he has been trained to respond to. You can push your leg against a green horse until you're blue in the face, but if he hasn't been taught to move away from the leg pressure, he's just as likely to lean into it than move away. It's much like moving forward off the leg. If the horse isn't trained to do it, then he has no clue what you mean. However, even if he does understand it, he may stop when presented with something that he resists moving toward (e.g., refusing a jump).

So, there may be two factors to consider with your share horse. First, how well does she understand and obey the concept of moving off the leg in normal circumstances. Can she do a turn on the forehand? Leg yield in the school? Does she respond to a light touch, or do you feel like you're pushing her over? If the latter, you may need to do some simple, repetitive schooling to teach her to respond to lighter cues.

If she's sensitive and responsive to lateral aids in the school, then your issue is dealing with puddles in particular (and perhaps obedience or trust, in general). The next time she leans into your leg to get around a puddle, stop him, back him or circle him the other way, turn her to the puddle and send him back through it. Be very persistent and eventually, she should learn that (1) yes, you really do mean for him to go through it and (2) it's easier to just respond to your request to go through the first time since eventually she's going that way in either case. Part of the key is being more patient and persistent then she is.

newrider.com