problems cantering

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
up until the last couple of weeks ive been able to canter a bit balancing myself with the horn of my western saddle but now my right foot always comes out and i fell off this week. i think maybe i dont put as much weight thru my right foot but i cant seem to put more thru it does anyone with mobility probs have any tips

not sure if helpful but learning to concentrate your weight and balance through your seat.

can find instructors who can teach you this more.

I would imagine that you're losing the stirrup because you're gripping with your knees/thighs or tipping forwards a bit, these are usually what cause not having enough weight in your legs.

If you have mobility probs (you'll have to excuse me if this isn't applicable to you) would it be worth having some lunge lessons so that you can focus on having the weight and balance in your seat? You could start by holding the front of the saddle then try just holding on with one etc, by balancing more with your seat the legs just follow suit. Unstable legs usually mean unstable seat.

again apologies if this isn't really applicable to your situation but I hope it helps

newrider.com