Problem solved - Littles didn't break out last night!

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I have a smile like :D this morning. I've finally got the better of my naughty little loan pony who's too clever for his own good. :rolleyes:

Every morning when I would go up he would be on the other side of the electric fenced off paddock. Joy would still be in and although I'm glad of that I couldn't understand why she wasn't jumping out to party with him :confused:

The posts were 4ft high with 2 strands and there would be no sign of where or how he was getting through.

My first thought was to check round the perimeter and tighten up any slack I found but he still got out overnight.

Then I changed the battery but he still got out overnight.

Then I realised the nipple on/off botton was faulty so when I switched it on I could hear the clicking and thought it was working fine but then it would stop intermitently. I bought the energiser home and hubby fixed it for me.

The next morning the little sod was still on the other side I couldn't work out how!

Next I moved the bottom strand up a level and added a third strand just in case he was somehow rolling underneath or getting between the strands. Next morning the little sod was still partying on the other side!

Anyway my gorgeous hubby solved the problem. The energiser wasn't producing its usual strength of pulse, I didn't realise 'cause when it does it produces quite a jolt - it will power up to 15km of fence - so I don't go round touching it :p

Having changed the battery I had assumed that it was working up to full power and didn't think anything more of it.

The reason it wasn't producing the same power is because it wasn't earthing efficiently. Yesterday I tightend the connections and sank in the earthing rods (I have a powerful cattle energiser so not one of the dinky equine ones that are mounted on a spike that provides the earth) in different places nicely spaced out.

This morning I was met by one very peed off pony who was snuggled in next to Joy. Case solved! :cool:

So for those of you with weak electric fencing, don't just assume it's the battery as you might need to check the earth ;)

Glad your issue was sort too. At least you have control now and make the decisions.

I'd like to set up another day to meet up, might have to be after christmas now.

If you wanted to ride forest and E was awake and happy to come to me and watch you then that would an option. I love kids and she is a little sweetie :cool:

Glad your issue was sort too. At least you have control now and make the decisions.

I'd like to set up another day to meet up, might have to be after christmas now.

If you wanted to ride forest and E was awake and happy to come to me and watch you then that would an option. I love kids and she is a little sweetie :cool:

Sounds good to me, lets organise something when the kids are back at school. :)

Im still having problems keeping mine in! They are TERRIBLE - I get so angry, and I really cant wait to ZAAAAAP them, but its just not happening!
I get bugged because I klnowI cant tell them off - they wont have a clue why, lol!
I know the fence is on because you can hear the click, see the sparks, and the silly dog is always getting cought by it:p
Its 5'7 high, double strand, and both wires are electric - still, they get out!
They jump it, push it down - anything!

They have a nice section and get as much ad-lib hay as they want - yet they still break out. Im at my wits end with them.
I wanted to leave the rugs off them last night so they could get a real zap - but then I saw the weather warning, and popped down to rug em up at 8 last night.

They carry on with this for much longer I may well consider hobbling them:rolleyes:

ETA - YAAAAYYYY!!!!! Just got back from field, and the horses didnt break out last night!!!! WOOO HOOO! :D

Last edited:
try a cattle electric fence thing, make sure its taught and put 3 strands in instead of 2.:) Ginny, my h/w cob was forever getting out , more so when she had her rug on. as soon as we got a cattle one she was very wary of it. she hasn't gone through it since we've had it and she always gives it the "eyes" when standing near it:)

and Joyscarer thats great, no more escaping ponies:D, (just grumpy little faces instead:p)

LOL.. We have a mains electric fence unit, which does give you a Hell of a Poke!!!! and could not understand how they were getting through it, until OH saw one of the weshies hooking his leg around one of the posts and pulling it out of the ground !!! While the other two stood back and watched:D:D and when it was led down they just walked over tapes...
Sounds like you have him beat, For a while :D

Sorry to hear of your troubles but hopefully that will sort the little one for a while, did make me giggle though.
Three strands of tape sorted it for us, Mac the mini was nicknamed Houdini after his escapades last winter, I would often wake up to find him on the decking looking at me through the french doors, or stood on the back door step waiting for his breakfast, lol, little sod.

OH saw one of the weshies hooking his leg around one of the posts and pulling it out of the ground !!! While the other two stood back and watched:D:D and when it was led down they just walked over tapes...

They're little minkets aren't they. I just love the pony attitude even if it does drive me crackers once in a while :D

newrider.com