Post Script to Mounting and Dismounting Problems

OldandNew

Mar 29, 2007
London
I had so many sympathetic and helpful replies to my post, that I went in to the RS on Friday determined to be relaxed and take as much time as I wanted to in mounting. All went well and I felt really pleased! Then whilst hacking out on the common, the horse slipped in some ice and fell and of course I went overboard too! We were, thankfully, both unhurt (I was a bit winded but sat and got my breath back whilst the RI carefully checked the horse out).

Next problem of course - getting back on (the horse is about 17 hh) without a mounting block. There was a wooden bench nearby but she wouldn't stand sideways on to it as she was a bit unsure. Luckily we found a grassy bank which gave me some height but it was still a scramble! I realised then that mounting in the yard is actually pure luxury compared to mounting somewhere on the common!

Very well done. And well done to sound so insouciant about coming off, too!

It's funny isn't it, my pony is better about sidling up to a park bench than a mounting block...

I ride out on trails a lot. I make sure to take note of where the good size boulders, banks etc are in case of an unplanned dismount. It's a long walk between some places I have found. :wink:

If I had a fancy phone or GPS I could mark their locations. But no go.
I bought one of those stirrup extension things to lower the stirrup,so I could reach it without a mounting block, nice idea, but I then found the stirrup wasn't high enough to get my leg over the back.

I use the cavalry dismount too, Didn't know that was what it was. I can't swing my leg over the cantle if I am not standing in the stirrup.

The stirrups extender (I bought one long ago but dont use it) is intended as an intermediate step.
So your right foot goes in the extender, then left foot in the normal stirrup and you can then swing your leg over. There may be a vid somewhere on line showing how it is done.

I still can't get up to the stirrup extender, it is just out of reach.

there is a stool that you can use and pull up and put in a bag - anyone used that?

D&T I meant to reply on your thread a wee while ago about mounting when you're out and about. We had a tree come down in my parents garden and my dad kindly chain sawed it into chunks and I have them scattered about the area where I hack, so that I can mount or dismount. They are moveable, just, so if I come the opposite way, I can pull it through the gate and clamber aboard. Might be a better idea if you tend to hack around the same area?!

a lot of it is right in the middle of farmer's field, wouldn't be able to get them there -the problem is that a lot of routes have multiple gates, none of which can be opened without getting off as they need to be lifted, or next to an electric fence or other crap.

I will have to get a leg extension.

newrider.com