Post a photo today...new 2021 edition

Where are you at?
That cloud is ominous.

If had unlimited money and was going to build.
I'd want the exact copy of a place I used to pass in New Hampshire going to state l line tack when they had a store there.

It didnt have any land left any more but it was a lovely farm house with a connector to a REALLY NICE BARN

Never having to go outside in the bad weather ....or shoveling your way to the barn...

My horses are about the same distance as yours..the goats a bit Closer.

This was a cow and pig farm.
We did luck out with all the great out buildings.
But. Mostly being pigs I can see why they are not close to the house

Reactions: Lollykay
Where are you at?
That cloud is ominous.

If had unlimited money and was going to build.
I'd want the exact copy of a place I used to pass in New Hampshire going to state l line tack when they had a store there.

It didnt have any land left any more but it was a lovely farm house with a connector to a REALLY NICE BARN

Never having to go outside in the bad weather ....or shoveling your way to the barn...

My horses are about the same distance as yours..the goats a bit Closer.

This was a cow and pig farm.
We did luck out with all the great out buildings.
But. Mostly being pigs I can see why they are not close to the house

I’m in southern Middle Tennesse, about an hour north of the AL border.

We allegedly sit on the second highest spot in the county and are privy to spectacular weather views —- sometimes its accompanying weather, which can get pretty dicey.

Relocating here 18 years ago was my retirement dream come true; it took me 23 years to get here, lol. I’m from the OH/PA border where the terrible and infamous “May ‘85 Tornado” caused so much destruction. Back then, I had my dogs trained to get down the basement stairs pronto. No basements here, so we hope for the best and head for a center closet once in awhile.

When I lived five years in SoCal, it was fires and earthquakes. My truck was perpetually hooked to the trailer and I literally did loading fire drills with my then three horses monthly. They would load on my “hurry hurry” command and the front two horses would load to their correct sides with no help from me; just halter them, throw the rope over their neck and point toward the trailer. I went theu many bags of horse cookies, lol

Thankfully I never had to evacuate.

A part of British Columbia, Canada, on the Washington state border, is also on fire. Part of the area is on standby to evacuate. California has sent a water drop plane and a helicopter to help. A lady on another forum and her adult daughter have horse trailers packed, ready to leave at a moments notice.

Having dealt with both spectrums of weather, I’m a lot more inclined to put up with wind & rain than I am fire and watching the walls of my house roll in two earthquakes. Not that either one is a good thing, but maybe because I was raised East of the Mississippi and I’m more used to wind & rain🤯🤔

I grew up in New Jersey.
I REALLY REALLY hate SNOW.
BUT ...
The options of earthquakes..fires etc...
I guess I'll take the snow.

The storms that have been rolling thru the last couple hrs don't seem to be letting up.
The lightning is impressive even though it is a bit scary...

The only time I really LOVED thunder storms was in Germany.
We didnt live on base and the river went thru with very big hills on each side.
Our side had houses..we were near the top so the view was awesome to
The unpopulated hills on the other side.
Massively storms would roll down the river valley...they were awesome to watch.

Reactions: Lollykay
I actually love thunderstorms. Only one that ever scared me, was about 5 years ago, and I got really worried about Ramsey that night. Around midnight, I could nt take it anymore, so got in the car and drove to the yard (Only 6 or 7 minute drive). The thunder and lightening was right overhead, and continuous, really scary to drive in, and lasted about an hour. Got to the yard, put my brave pants on, and dashed to the boys' field. Both of them totally unperturbed. Drove home with it still thundering and lightening overhead, continuously. We used to get spectacular ones up in Scotland, but nothing like this. The house was vibrating.

We had a terrible thunderstorm last august. It lasted for 12 hours. The yard is at the top of the hill but there was so much rain the ground couldn’t soak it in. So it ran off the fields and into the barn where the barley, which had just been harvested, was stored. The water then took the barley and flooded the stables. Poor yo took a video at 4 am of the yard. All the horses were in! They were not sure if safer to turn out in the dark or what to do. From there it washed through the farm yard and filled the barn that stores the straw. Big round bales of straw were almost covered. At 2 am the farmer was driving round the harvested fields as the water was washing away the (big round) straw bales and threatening the property next door. He was trying to chase and catch the bales!

By the time the liveries got there in the morning the water had dispersed leaving a layer of barley. Poor Robin was very upset as the water would have been over his hooves. The only good thing was it had completely washes out under our mats but had left yet another layer of barley under. It took a while to clear everything up.

Being where the yard is no one has ever thought it could flood.

Got some nice very early bloom first cut.
With the crazy weather I had to get some in the car yesterday
Finally a day without rain today to get some in the truck.
20210719_150733.jpg
20210720_062808.jpg
The Turkey's came past today so I guess the bear isn't around.

20210720_121653.jpg20210720_121707.jpg

The first day we have had sun in a while it was muted with smoke from Canadian fires.
There was an air quality alert for particulates in the air.
Supposedly the smoke particles are going to make for a georgous sunset.

@horseandgoatmom what are quality small squares costing you?

I am paying $9.50/40-45 pound bales. The hay is locally grown orchard/mix, 99% weed free with no drying agent😮

I could probably find cheaper hay but it would have weeds in it, therefore waste. Plus this grower’s hay always tests in the 8% range for non-structural carbohydrates. That is important for my IR/Cushings horse.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
@Lollykay I just read your entry about your horses trained to load to "hurry hurry". OMG, it made my heart speed up just to read it. We are so fortunately bereft of exciting weather and seismic activity here in the UK, despite the occasional 12 hour thunderstorm.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I paid 9.50 for those its canadian hay.
I think they are a bit lighter probably more towards high 30,s.
Its a really early bloom Timothy ..Orchard grass and very soft.

We really don't get local hay around here.
Its generally New York or Canadian.

Second cut can run up to 13.00.
I generally only give second cut to the goats unless its nice soft first that they like and don't waste so much.

Everyone prefers second cut with clover.
Lol the heavier clover the better.
I gave to be careful w heavy clover with the goats with them all being fixed boys.
The high calcium in the clover can lead to urinary calculi. And calcium imbalance.

If i get some that's really high clover I give them xtra carrots to balance out and I try to keep that more for Sonny.

The horses get a mix of first and second.

I try to stay away from alfalfa mix too unless its very light on alfalfa.
Alfalfa is also high calcium.

Ugh I totally hate when hay is sprayed w the citric acid drying agent no one likes that except
Andi Who isnt fussy.

My 2 main places closest places for hay
The first cut Canadian is from a hardware store next town over.
He only has room for one trailer they cant get a mixed trailer so its only first.

One town the other way a tack shop gets
NY first and second.
I get my second there.
Most Ny hay is fertilized w dairy manure.

You can ALWAYS TELL NY hay.

I do have some other further away options if I dont like what either one has

Do you get huge loads and fill up for the year?????

I'm very cautious w new hay I don't incase its TOO NEW maybe a little too much moisture or baled super quick with
Weather restraints.
I do bigger top ups in the fall.

If its it's going to turn let that happen some place else.

In the past I have gotten some really fresh just baled and had to cut the strings for better air flow.

It doesn't matter how good it looks growing if its Not dried and cured well.

@Jane&Ziggy rhe “hurry hurry” drill was when I lived in the Low Desert Area of Southern California. I was only 76 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean but you wouldn’t know it by the terrain.

Those who could afford to, watered lawns to have grass. One time somebody’s lawnmower blade struck a stone and sparked a fire. That area was (and still is) a veritable tinder box. I was so happy when I could move back East where there is rain and grass, even if the humidity & dewpoints are thru the roof in July & August, lol

@horseandgoatmom Yes, I buy hay for the year. I’m in middle Tennessee, an hour north of the AL border so we see plenty of humidity with dewpoints in the high 60’s, even reaching into the 70’s like they are this week:(

The driest of hay can get ruined in this environment — hay storage is a lot different from when I lived on the OH/PA border. Down here, I sprinkle Kosher salt on every layer of hay to help wick moisture, regardless of how dry the hay is.

One year, I had the hay stacked right up to the edge of a south facing window. I had to throw some bales out as they got black mold on them from being beside that window. That didn’t happen with hay beside the north-facing window.

I run tub fans on the hay, which are also aimed at the horses, lol. I have two 36” tub fans and one 42” tub fan. They are on industrial strength timers, so I don’t have to worry about shutting them off.

No clover or alfalfa allowed in my hay, lollol. Not good for metabolic horses or easy keepers,

When I lived on the OH/PA border, I had to board for a few years. When they ran out of local hay, the BO’s bought hay out of NY back then — in the 90’s.

They would sometimes get loads in that were more fit for cattle - I remember the Mrs. putting her nose to every single bale, Then pointing THIS way for the horse hay stack and THAT way for the neighbors cows, lollol. I really appreciated her integrity but it was a comical thing to observe, lol

How are you and your critters holding up weather wise? We will be in the mid-to high 90’s all week and may hit 99 for a real temp on Thursday. That means Feels Like will be 100-105(F). :(

This weekend DH & I bush hogged and cut for a total of 23 hours between the two tractors. There is still two acres along the road (my horses are fenced away from that piece) that needs bushhogged, and d-a-m-n if I don‘t need to cut the real yard again:(

We went thru 30 gallons of farm diesel in July, between the two tractors, and they get good mileage. Old Bess, the big farm tractor seems to go forever on a tank of fuel but we have a lot to cut and it was thick this time.

I’m headed to our co-op in a few, for farm diesel and my treat for that is going to be a strawberry milkshake at Sonic drive-in. Do you have Sonic drive-in’s? They have the best fast food of anyone and their milkshakes put DQ to shame, lollol

Work slow when you’re outside, keep Sonny and the goats hosed down, if goats like that sort of thing:)

Last edited:
That sounds horrible and scary with a mower blade hitting a rock starting a fire

Can you tell me more about using kosher salt.
How much do you use and you just shake it off as you pull bales. etc etc..

I like the idea to add that layer of protection.
We have had so much rain for a july aside from heat and humidify.

The horses like hosing

Omg lol goats hate to get wet..
One drop of rain and they are in.

Everyone is fairing ok.
Fans do help.

I'm out around 5 am to get things done before its too bad.

I'm trying to play and ride as weather allows.
But its b52 season and even with it being a bit better Saturday and him well sprayed etc.
He was getting attaked when i rode.
I went under the trees i. The front but a foot in the sun there they were.
So im opting for a bit more liberty .
I really want fall summer Isn't all its cracked up to be..

Heavy clover hay can be quite dusty with the pollen.

Yes yum... we have a Sonic a couple towns over.

We dont have Kosher salt in UK, I think it is a term used in USA for edible salt from natural sources, flakey sea salt.
I have several USA cookery books and the only salt ever mentioned in any recipe is Kosher salt.
UK might say table salt.
In the UK the adjective Kosher is used only to denote food certified as adhering to Jewish dietary law.

We dont have DQ in the UK either (Dairy Queen) but I remember the temptation on our long summer drives through USA.,

I think kosher salt has not got any iodine or anything.
I think for anything to be kosher.. food wise etc
It has to be blessed by the Rabbi.

Here table salt is iodized. Sea salt is not.

We don't have any close DQ Here

The closest are over 30 miles in any given direction.

newrider.com