Post a photo today...new 2021 edition

@horseandgoatmom I love the fotos of the farm with the TWH. They are a wonderfully gentle and forgiving of human error breed. In order to keep riding, I have had Walking Horses since 1990. Generally speaking, if they have issues, blame some human.

I also like your goats:). My neighbor’s goats can also be seen leaf picking, on occasion. I’ve seen the Billy up on their tractor- looking for the keys no doubt, lol

@Huggy I was raised on dairy and beef farms. Woodchucks, aka ground hogs, are most unwelcome on farms because they live underground and can make underground condominiums before the sun sets. They make holes big enough to break livestock legs (that includes horses).

Where I am from, it is not uncommon to hire someone to sit with a rifle and pick them off.

When my TWH Duke was alive, he was always the lead horse when riding the edges of the farm fields because he had an uncanny sense for for finding those holes and alerting me ahead. Some of those holes looked like a human could skinny down thru them.

That is an unplanned Segway into the horse below, who was not the foto I was going to post:

My beloved Duke, who was with me 24 of his 27 years and was the most astute silent communicator of any horse that has ever graced my pasture. I laid him to rest on this farm seven years ago and I still miss him terribly.

Picture #1 is our first trail ride after retiring to Middle Tennessee in the SE U.S. Picture #2 is when we lived In Southern California’s Low Desert area of the west coast of the U.S. For five years. Duke is the little guy in the middle but make no mistake, he was tough and had no trouble keeping up with those two Quarter Horses:) I never rode with a saddle unless we were in a parade and all costumed up. Duke loved showing off in Parades. Did I say I still miss this fella:(
2FFD0838-B736-44FC-8EB6-F0AEA5E57770.jpeg27D48CDA-0904-4226-A66F-28BEB377B97B.jpeg

Duke is beautiful. There's no replacing that special one, is there? Like you, I had Ramsey from 4 years to 30, and he's buried in the field at the yard. I feel lucky to have had him, and he'll never leave that special place in my heart. Thank you for the info on woodchucks. We have a small paddock in which we've had to tape off a corner area - too many rabbit holes, making it unsafe. Down one track in the yard, there are numerous fox and badger dig outs - they're huge but to the side, so not a danger.

I went to get gas in the mustang and
Polly and another woman were at the top of Virginia's driveway.
Polly had her parrot in a tree.
The bird is georgous and big
She loves to ride in the car and go places w Polly.
She takes it w her to Virginia's every day when she helps w stalls.
It also likes to ride on the handlebars of her bicycle..
20210606_115459.jpg

Out for a walk in the forest today. All over the forest are little bodies of water, some running, some not. There's a pond with a bridge over it, and there, smack bang in the middle of the shallow side, is a perfect, single, random water lily.Screenshot_20210606-201159_Gallery.jpg

A visitor at the gate this am..
20210607_061501.jpg
20210607_061526.jpg

He ..she walked in. Then I thought omg
Its fenced all around and wont be able to get out..
I gently moved it with the shovel..
Its not a snapping turtle.. i don't know what it is..

Last nite we went to the pond on the other road to listen to the bull frog
Symphony...
It was amazing..
Polly told me about it when i was talking to her yesterday..

I don't know where this big turtle wandered from.

A visitor at the gate this am..
View attachment 106876
View attachment 106877

He ..she walked in. Then I thought omg
Its fenced all around and wont be able to get out..
I gently moved it with the shovel..
Its not a snapping turtle.. i don't know what it is..

Last nite we went to the pond on the other road to listen to the bull frog
Symphony...
It was amazing..
Polly told me about it when i was talking to her yesterday..

I don't know where this big turtle wandered from.
Is it someone's pet tortoise?

@horseandgoatmom Google “Desert Tortoise”. That’s what that looks like, but I don’t know how far from the desert they Migrate, unless someone dumped him?

At one point I THINK they were on the endangered list. Inlived In SoCal’s Low Desert area five years. A big one, similarly marked to yours, showed up at my house one morning but he was tagged so it was easy to get him back to where he escaped from - half mile down the road, lol

Today was farrier day. My IR/Cushings horse lives with residual founder and wears a special shoeing packing that includes flexible plastic shoes by Easy Care. He has arthritis at the P3 & in the coronary band of the RF, so I give the doll face Previcox.

The shoes have full flexible plastic pads attached to them. Against the soles is ShuFil, a DIM material that the farrier mixes in copper sulfate crystals To help with anaerobic issues.
243DEC5E-89DC-446D-972D-1B64E741F3E3.jpeg

After Joker‘s long and intricate reset, it is Rusty’s turn. Rusty is trim only and half the time I don't halter him, he adores his farrier.

Looking back at the video, I noticed Rusty did a great job shifting himself for her. Rusty has been with me 25 of his 27 years. He is a difficult horse and work to ride. He is not for the faint of heart. This video belies all that but he didn’t get to this well mannered point in his conniving life without a lot of convincing, lol

Rusty has never been mean, just contrary - always saying “no” for the sake of saying no. It took a lot of work and patience on my part (I have always trained my own horses) to get him to this point. He was so onery when he was young, he may have ended up at the kill auction, if I hadn’t kept him. He is one tough trail horse and loves to swim.

This is what a poor retired person’s barn looks like but the horses enjoy 25 acres of pasture when they aren’t standing in front of these big tub fans. It wasn’t that hot this morning but the high humidity and dew point made the air sticky & miserable.

You May want to mute the sound of the fans. The dogs belong to the farrier, mine stay at the house during farrier visits.

@horseandgoatmom Google “Desert Tortoise”. That’s what that looks like, but I don’t know how far from the desert they Migrate, unless someone dumped him?

At one point I THINK they were on the endangered list. Inlived In SoCal’s Low Desert area five years. A big one, similarly marked to yours, showed up at my house one morning but he was tagged so it was easy to get him back to where he escaped from - half mile down the road, lol

Today was farrier day. My IR/Cushings horse lives with residual founder and wears a special shoeing packing that includes flexible plastic shoes by Easy Care. He has arthritis at the P3 & in the coronary band of the RF, so I give the doll face Previcox.

The shoes have full flexible plastic pads attached to them. Against the soles is ShuFil, a DIM material that the farrier mixes in copper sulfate crystals To help with anaerobic issues.
View attachment 106888

After Joker‘s long and intricate reset, it is Rusty’s turn. Rusty is trim only and half the time I don't halter him, he adores his farrier.

Looking back at the video, I noticed Rusty did a great job shifting himself for her. Rusty has been with me 25 of his 27 years. He is a difficult horse and work to ride. He is not for the faint of heart. This video belies all that but he didn’t get to this well mannered point in his conniving life without a lot of convincing, lol

Rusty has never been mean, just contrary - always saying “no” for the sake of saying no. It took a lot of work and patience on my part (I have always trained my own horses) to get him to this point. He was so onery when he was young, he may have ended up at the kill auction, if I hadn’t kept him. He is one tough trail horse and loves to swim.

This is what a poor retired person’s barn looks like but the horses enjoy 25 acres of pasture when they aren’t standing in front of these big tub fans. It wasn’t that hot this morning but the high humidity and dew point made the air sticky & miserable.

You May want to mute the sound of the fans. The dogs belong to the farrier, mine stay at the house during farrier visits.

We too could do with refurbing the barn, but like you, they have lovely grazing, every need catered to, and are adored by their humans. I think they'd take that over a luxurious barn anyday!

newrider.com