Poor poodle!

LindaAd

Feb 20, 2000
Dorset, UK
Visit site
Poodle groomer said there were tooth problems, showed us muckiness and pus round the bottom of molars both sides. We hadn't noticed anything wrong, apart from slightly smelly breath - she was eating dry food and gnawing bones quite happily - but the vet looked and said yes there were problems, probably three teeth would have to come out, maybe more, but she wouldn't know until she had a proper look...

In the end she took out fifteen teeth!! She told me that there was a lot of infection, and if she'd left them it would have made the dog ill - she's only just six, and we've only had her since November. She came home yesterday afternoon, and she's still quite dozy from the anaesthetic and obviously uncormfortable, although last night's supper went down swiftly enough, and so did this morning's breakfast ... Poor old Paris - all those beautiful white molars gone :cry:

Poor Paris poodle. How will she chew her bones now?

It sounds as though she had a healthy diet, did the vet give you any idea how this has happened?

Poor Paris!

Just don't beat yourself up though - I had a similar experience with one of my Labradors. She's always had stinky breath and our previous vet used to just recommend toothbrushing etc. When we changed vets the new one said she had problems and took out 14 teeth in one go! Like you, we had always given her dried food and she had plenty of bones and tough toys to play with.

I think sometimes it's just bad luck.

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, it was a shock, and it's very sad to see her without her lovely white molars, but she seems to manage with the teeth she has left. Haven't tried her with bones yet, but she's ok with biscuits. This was a new vet too; she said there's no reason - some dogs are just susceptible. We've only had her since November, but she came from a poodle breeder who fed her dry food and real bones, and that's what we do too.

Poodle groomer said the dry food we're feeding has too much sugar, but her last owner, who had ten poodles, used to change the brand all the time, so I don't think it can be the food, and I don't think it can have happened in six months.

Trewsers, that's what worries me. I've had a fair few extractions myself (thanks to over-enthusiastic dentists), and when teeth are isolated, they tend to decay. The vet did say that dogs manage to eat and chew even with no teeth at all - I suppose it's because they have such leverage in their jaws - but she's only just six. LBr - how old is your Lab?

Awww poor Paris, Jasper sends lots of doggy sympathy vibes he had 5 teeth out a few weeks ago. He's only just started eating properly again he was majorly feeling sorry for himself!!

- but she's only just six. LBr - how old is your Lab?

Well this was earlier this year, when Ellie was also six. I suspect though that the poor girlie had been having trouble for some considerable time, with me being advised by the vet just to brush her teeth and keep giving her bones etc!

She felt VERY sorry for herself when I took her home from the vets that night.

I hope poor Paris is feeling better now.

what a shame, but I ex[ect she will be feeling alot better now. Good on your groomer for picking it up, true proffesional !

Sometimes when we see our pets day in day out its so easy to miss something!

what a shame, but I ex[ect she will be feeling alot better now. Good on your groomer for picking it up, true proffesional !

Sometimes when we see our pets day in day out its so easy to miss something!

She's feeling a lot better now, thanks, Gimp; she was quite sad for two days, and I thought she'd never forgive us, but she's back to her old, cheerful, cuddly self now.

The poodle groomer is brilliant - she's not just a dog groomer, but she's a vet nurse too and very knoweldgeable, and Paris loves her.

newrider.com