Pony skin rug anyone?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I was just browsing on ebay for sheepskins and came across this seller who is selling 'pony skin rugs.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, but wondered what ponies they might be. They have a lot of Icelandic sheepskin products in their shop so I am wondering if they are Icelandics? Or just ponies that have gone to the meat man? :unsure:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MILABERT/H...6359015&_sid=1075593065&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Last edited:
If they are Icelandic sheepskins, chances are they are Icelandic pony skins. There were one or two studs I have been to where they have their favourite horse skin on the wall....not their favourite horse skin, but the skin of their favourite horse!

Different culture. Personally I could not be bothered with getting a dead horse out of his jacket and tanning it!

They look like foal skins that have gone for meat, looks about the right size and age, with fuzzy mane and tail.

a lot of the meat trade foals in Europe are slaughtered for their skins for the fashion industry, particularly of they are coloured, spotted, or an odd colour their skins are more valuable.

They slaughter tiny little things that would hardly be worth eating, for the amount they have on their bones, just for their fur.

Attachments

• duco.jpg
    duco.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 14
If the animal has gone for meat it saves wasting it. Not for me personally but we don't think anything of leather boots, saddles, bridles do we.

It's the hanging their best horse's skin on the wall I can't really square with. But, it takes all sorts.

newrider.com