Pony rolling when being ridden

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
We have a section A who has been doing lead rein rides with us for a couple of years.

He has always been one of our star ponies, well behaved etc.

Lately he has taken to rolling with a child on his back - not good.

We have recently finished our sand school and he started doing it in there and we put it down to the sand but at the weekend he did it in the riding paddock.

I keep thinking whats changed but apart from the sand school nothing and if hes doing it in the paddock as well it cant just be down to the sand.

Any ideas?

Ziggy was off work with colic and laminitis last summer for four months.

When I brought him back in to work he started to try to roll on our sand tracks. I asked for help here and people said it was a lapse in manners and he just needed a reminder! The next time he went down, I leaped off, made a real fuss and commotion and leapt back on as soon as he was up. He never tried to do it again.

Are your little riders making it clear enough to naughty pony that he should NOT go down to roll in the school? Can they make him work HARD after every attempt?

That screams pain or discomfort to me. I've known a few ponies who love to roll under saddle but it's a habit that they'd always had - if it's just started recently I would assume he's trying to tell you something. All the usual stuff, does the saddle fit? teeth ok?, have someone check his back. Any lumps & bumps underneath the saddle or girth area? Is there any other unusual behaviour / character change going on? If there's a physical issue you won't be able to put a stop to the behaviour until it's sorted out.

Some of tthe litle riders are just lead rein rides, but we do use him for lessons as well and as we have one rather fearless young man who loves the pony we will encourage him to do what you suggested.
He is a cheeky pony so I can see him doing this as mischief, he also always picks the same spot when out in the grassy school - the muddy bit :biggrin:

That screams pain or discomfort to me. I've known a few ponies who love to roll under saddle but it's a habit that they'd always had - if it's just started recently I would assume he's trying to tell you something. All the usual stuff, does the saddle fit? teeth ok?, have someone check his back. Any lumps & bumps underneath the saddle or girth area? Is there any other unusual behaviour / character change going on? If there's a physical issue you won't be able to put a stop to the behaviour until it's sorted out.

This I agree with. I'd stop rides on him til you get it checked out.

Joe did it once with OH on board but that night we ended up nursing him through a horrible bout of colic until 3am. It was the colic that made him roll - poor lad. Personally, I would try and rule out pain and get him checked by the vet just in case - benefit of doubt and all that. Maybe pony is trying to say sonething or just cheeky but least you can feel better about reprimanding for this if you know for sure there is no pain first.

i'd rule out physical issues first, and once that's sorted and he still does this - get on his case! rolling, especially with kids, is dangerous and not good!

Appley sat down with me ONCE (she was a bit sweaty and thought it'd be nice ...). I kicked up such a stink she did not try this again.

If the pony has been doing it for some little while and not done it before, personally I would say it is being a pony and taking the mick.

Ponies are ponies, and I expect it probably feels itchy and if it does get down and roll, small children can't do much about it.

We have a small pony on our yard and his favourite trick is to rip the lead rope out of its small owners hand and rush off to grass. Extremely naughty and whenever one of us BIG people catch it after this has happened, reprimand it when it tries to repeat its performance, and lead it, it is as GOOD AS GOLD!!!

We are going to have him checked over but he only passed his annual vet check last month, gotta feeling he is in cheeky itchy damp pony mode :furious::unsure:

Agree with others that a check over would be a good first step, but also agree with the itchiness thoughts. All three of mine are moulting heavily at the moment, the longest day has passed and coupled with this weather they're in a real hurry to get the winter jammies on!

newrider.com