Police horse appreciation thread - London riots

Befnee's Hero

Jul 1, 2009
Somerset
I can't see that this has been done on here yet, but I thought it well worth a mention of how brave the police horses are that were riding into the riots in London this weekend.

I know they are trained to an exemplary standard, but still, that takes a horse with alot of guts to ride in a mob of rioters and stand their ground, and to ride in the ruins while the buildings are burning.

I personally think it's great to see horses still being put to use in this way, and that they are still immensely effective. In all honesty I wouldn't hang around in the path of one of those 17HH monsters if it was coming towards me in it's 'battle' gear.

Thought it well worth us recognising how amazingly brave they are, and to congratulate the riders for looking after their horses so well in all the trouble.

Never mind looting the shops for telly's and trainers :(, I would be pinching a couple of police horses (joke)

I was watching them around the blazing building and cantering in to the crowd. The are fantastic, I do hope non of them got hurt during the riots.
Everyone will blame the police but this is escalating out of control now and I feel so sorry for all the law abiding people who have to live in these areas and who's homes & bussinesses are being robbed and destroyed.

It feels a little like our society is slowly breaking down :( very, very sad. It is a very sad day for th UK to for the whole world to see this.

Last edited:
Ditto. Very sad, disappointing and even worse - embarrassing on behalf of the UK. I have to say it's times like this when I'm ashamed to say I'm British.

OP - in total agreement. My boy would have a nervous breakdown on the faced with that lot . . . those horses have immense trust in their riders/handlers to do what they do.

And, yes, it's all a bit embarrassing tbh - I get that times are tough, but this just looks like a load of bored wasters with nothing better to do than cause mayhem - and organized mayhem come to that - at considerable cost to businesses and the tax payer.

N

As a species we probably don't deserve the loyalty that horses, dogs, and other animals give us. I just hope that when they reach retirement age these horses get to live the life of Riley.

As for the riots, the younger ones among you will be rightly shocked and saddened, but those of us who are of a 'certain' age will remember the riots in the early eighties. I lived in London at the time and can remember walking up to the corner shop in Acton and being amazed at the lines and lines of police who were on the streets in the early evening. Strange times.

Very sad times too unfortunately. Doesn't look good for the Olympics either!!

Re Police horses - they are wonderful - wish they offered training hols for 'ordinary' horses to traffic proof them - I'd def pay for them to work with mine!!

I sometimes see the young trainee horses being ridden along a dual carriageway that crosses the M1, as I live and work very near the Carr Gate HQ in Wakefield and they are so well trained even when they are still learning I go all goose-pimply when I see them!!

XX

Those horses are wonderful and trained well, but they are still capable of spooking! I had an ex-policehorse on loan and I must say he was very impressive, bargey and had a bite in him as well. We could go anywhere, stood in the car park of a local rugby match to get burgers from the food van LOL. The only thing he would spook at was birds in hedges!

Anyway, dont know what the world is coming to. Those yobs have no respect for peoples property or the police. Its such a shame a peaceful protest was hijacked by mindless thugs hellbent on destruction. Just hope some of them got a few dog bites in the process!

What everybody's said! First thing I said to OH was "what about the police horses" when I heard about these riots. Tbh we don't watch telly, and we have the local radio on, so I don't know that much about these riots - only that it sounds again like a bunch of anarchist rabble causing the bother and making me ashamed to be human...........

newrider.com