Please help spurs v whip

Millies Mum

Feb 16, 2008
Cornwall
Please can you help with a difficult decision,,,
because of of my dodgy hips, I have little leg strength, and Mills is starting to realise this, and is not as forward as she was, I have been using my whip, just a small tap to reinforce my leg, but this does not seem to be working, she is getting further and further behind the bit and taking advantage of me.
Today I got in to a situation where i really had to use the whip to move her along when she had stopped and we were in a dangerous place, I did not really like to do this, but she really did listen to my leg on the way home..
do you think some spurs would help,,?? have never used these, just thinking of what is best for Mills, sorry if a bit long,,don,t really want to use the whip with force if a nudge with spurs would do the trick, I know how fast she CAN walk and how on the bit she can be,,,,
help and advice please
MM
:confused::confused:

I have lost my leg so I understand what you are saying, my Ebony is really very good with me with all sorts of things and I feel that she does know that there is a problem with me, but on the other hand she also knows that she can sometimes take the micky out of me and there is not alot that I can do about it !! I use my voice alot with her and sometimes I do have to shout at her, but as soon as I do this she does seem to respond to me better, I have also started to have a few lessons to help me and it does seem to be working for both of us. it is very frustrating when you know what they can do and they choose not to.
Keep working with her and I am sure you will both improve, good luck with it.

Thanks for both replys, i have good control but are very weak in the leg, after todays little argument, may be we will wait and see, i don,t like to do either, but really know she can do so much more,,,,,naughty mills,,,
MM

Hi Milliesmum, my horse is very reluctant, too (despite my legs being ok!). Two things; you say she's much more forward going on the way home. she's probably feeling anxious about leaving home, in the first place. You could start to take her a little way, then let her have a special treat, a few times on the way out; this would help her feel better about going in the first place (you can eventually decrease the treats as she gets better).

Also you could try this: I trained Eva to do upwards transitions to my voice (up!) and go faster on a 'click'; gradually I have ended up reducing my leg aid to almost zero. If she's reluctant, she gets a tap with a whip which helps her take more notice. I tried spurs briefly but she really wasn't impressed and I knew she'd just get worse like I've seen all the time.

hth

If you have never used spurs it would be best to start with something very mild, maybe something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270427438302

I was terrified of using spurs in the beginning, I didn't want to hurt my horse! I started with bumper spurs and then worked my way up to blunts like these.
http://www.horsetackinternational.com/dressage-spur-ladies.html
If all you need is a little extra "oomph" to your leg aids I don't think going any more severe than these would be necessary.

Thanks bygones,,,
i already have her trained to the voice,,, as i used to work with driving horses and hope to drive mills one day if things in the joint dept get worse,,,
she is ignoring these now, just being a bit naughty, yes she is always reluctant to leave the yard, good point about worrying, as i sent some hair off to a lady for a reading and she said that she needed confidence,, i give her Larch drops for this, it really works,,,
MM
:)

i would say it is best to reinforce your leg aid with a tap of the whip, especially if you plan on driving her one day. i think if you start using spurs she will further ignore your leg aids, and probably blank out the spurs too eventually. once she realizes that you will reinforce leg with tap of whip behind leg, she will get the message. you wont be able to rely on spurs when you are in a cart, so i would give a firm vocal aid too.and lots of praise when she responds. when your legs are weak (mine too) it may be that she is simply confused as the aid is ineffectual. spurs will make it worse eventually.

just as an add on; it would help if you do some leg-strenthening exercises to help develop your lower leg muscles. maybe laying on your back with back support, and lifting a ball up a couple of inches, which you will have to squeeze the ball between your lower legs to achieve, or sit on a sofa back and use your inner leg to apply pressure and release, as if you were using leg aids. im sure there are many more exercises that would help.

Spurs can be really great at reinforcing leg aids. As said before make sure your leg control is good especially in canter so you don't end up accidently using the spurs every stride.
A long dressage whip rather than a short jump whip could also help so you can flick behind the leg, you may already be using one of these. A whip in each hand both dressage length is also good for weak legs. I have also tied small bags to the end of the dressage whip as the russtle gets a good responce make sure you don't launch in to orbit if your horse does not like plastic.
Back on the spurs this may appear odd but the bigger they are often the kinder they are. A short spur is difficult to turn away from your horse meaning it is easy to use every step with out noticing. A longer shank can be held off the horse in a more natural way so you only use them when you turn your toes out. The ones with rowles or spinning discs are also more gentle. I know they look strong but as the roller part rolls over the horses side it is much kinder or subtler than a short blunt end.
If you want to try spurs but are worried about the serverity try the "implusion spurs" which have big black plastic type rollers on the end. These are designed to be very kind and introduce a horse and rider to spurs. As you will see with these they are
Big
Long
And have a rolled part to them.
Loads of people mistake short blunt tiny spurs as gentle and kind but unless you have near perfect leg position and control they are a lot strongher than long shanked roller styles.
I tried the short prince of wales spurs on my TB mare and she hated them, I changed to 2 inch stubben spurs and result she accepted these perfectly and I only used to help with some implusion and sideways moves. This nare is so sensitive you take your life in your hands just brushing her and the big spurs where more acceptable to her sensitive skin.

Thanks lynnemh,,, it is not actually my legs that are weak as opposed to the pain in my hips ( replacement soon ) making me unable to use my legs effectively,,,,,i am trying to keep all my muscles well toned, as i know when i have the op, every thing will fall to pieces for a while, so trying to get as fit as possible to start with,,,
thanks to every body for the help,
MM
:)

im all ****-eyed due to a busted weak shoulder and arthritis in my feet which has caused alot of secondary probs mainly all muscular,i dont have much strength either anywhere and i cant be bothered to frount up with mine,but by being like that i have overcome a few sticky bits.he has been off work for ages due to a continual nasty virus and had to quit as he was becomeing resentfull and loosing confidence.ive chucked all my spurs and sticks in the bin as im to worried of useing them counter-productfully,as before i detected he was unwell i used the stick and then got rid of it as he was backing off from my leg which i didint want.thats just what happened to me of course sticks and spurs are ok but ive choosen not to use them for a time.

hi all, i ride with spurs as i have 1 dodgy hip,as i was born with a discolated hip i find it hard for my pony to listen to me when turning. I was having a private lesson on him one day and she suggested riding with spurs. I've never looked back since,i only use them for turning and not speed or punishment. Its helped loads.I use prince of wales spurs.hope that helps.

newrider.com