PLEASE HELP!! My horse has come out in lumps!!! tell me he hasnt eaten something :((

RichNewRider

Apr 30, 2007
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi, please could someone help me, i took my horse out walking this morning for quite a long walk but nothing out of the ordinary, put him back out in the field for the rest of the day and when i went back to put him in this evening he had lumps all over his body!!! really worried!!! please can someone recognise what it could be i took some pics with my phone, thanks for ANY advice/help/suggestions... :((

photo0054ma2.jpg

photo0055ep0.jpg

photo0057if0.jpg

photo0056ez8.jpg

photo0058xa1.jpg

Girls at yard say it could be a fly bites reaction but they are everywhere! the lumps are quiet hard, just really worried he might have eaten something poisonous or something :( i am insured, do i need to call a vet?

looks like she rooled in some nettles to me - they should be gone or reduced alot by tomorrow. is there any nettles in your field at all? - surprising how horses can fins the tiniest bit and stall manage to roll in it:rolleyes:

Looks like hives/uticaria ( excuse spelling) an allergic reaction to something. Certainly seems quite a severe reaction. Can you move him to another field to see if it improves or stable him overnight ?

Hi, thanks, yes going to stable him overnight and tomorrow, will see how he is around midday... haven't had a horse before and to see him flare up like that is a nightmare :eek: yes there are nettles in the field... hope that's what it is, just hear all these horror stories about horses eating plants like ragwort and dying slow deaths... erghhh i feel sick :( looking for a vet number now...

Dont think Ragwort would do that. Cant think of a poisonous plant that would do that, it's more likely an allergy I think. Was the horse in the same field as usual?

My TB gets a few lumps like that from fly bites, he got one the size of an egg recently from a horse fly bite. But that's a fairly large reaction and I would want to know what caused it so I didnt keep exposing the horse to it and risk a big reaction...

xxx

honestly id say he'll be grand tomorrow - especially since there all nettles in the field. but if in doubt tomorrow you can still get the vet to give him a check over, generally with stuff like ragwort the damage is done internally to the liver and with no visible signs externally....not until near the end anyway when the liver is shutting down...anyway this is not that for sure...., well maybe cut back on the nettles a bit, but leave a few - there real good for horses to eat.
and dig up any ragwort about of course!! dont forget to let us know tomorrow how he is!

Dont think Ragwort would do that. Cant think of a poisonous plant that would do that, it's more likely an allergy I think. Was the horse in the same field as usual?

xxx

Hi, yes the same field as usual, when we were out i noticed more flys around than usual?? and i also gave him a wash down when we got back because he was sweaty, aside from that, everything as normal, can't believe it! look at his legs!!! really hope he'll be ok.

ooooooo poor boy,my lad did exactly the same thing the day before a show!!!! the afternoon of the show you could hardly notice it!! he's had an allergic reaction,poor wee thing bless him.:eek:

honestly id say he'll be grand tomorrow - especially since there all nettles in the field. but if in doubt tomorrow you can still get the vet to give him a check over, generally with stuff like ragwort the damage is done internally to the liver and with no visible signs externally....not until near the end anyway when the liver is shutting down...anyway this is not that for sure...., well maybe cut back on the nettles a bit, but leave a few - there real good for horses to eat.
and dig up any ragwort about of course!! dont forget to let us know tomorrow how he is!

thanks for that ashlingm, sure will post how he is tomorrow, hopefully worrying about nothing, thanks :)

My friends horse has the same thing she phoned the vet for advice and was told it was probably an allergic reaction to something ie nettles/fly bites,anyhow it all went down by itself and hasn't come back.:)

When my horse got a bit of nettle rash on her back, my RI suggested washing her with Activ wash, I dont think it made a huge amount of difference as it wasnt a bad reaction, but maybe wash him with something similar?

I moved my lad to a new livery in May, He came out in all sorts of lumps. Spoke to my vet, he said there were more 'biting' insects and pollen around this year than in previous. Climate change? Sure enought the lumps went away of own accord. Some horses react to flush of grass too.

lumps

Ouch poor horse!!!

That looks exactly the same as my daughter pony who was stung by a wasp or bee last summer. All the lumps and bumps gradually wnet donw after a coupel of days on piriton.

My TB has new lumps every day but they go away again within 24 hours - it's insect bites. Your boy has obviously had a severe reaction to something, poor lad! I'm sure it will be miles better by tomorrow. :eek:

newrider.com