please define napping bolting and planting.

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Chatting to friend today about horse at the RS and it seems we have different ideas about what these terms mean.

I thought (from what my RI says) napping is basically when a horse goes where HE wants to go and not you. So for example in my lessons some horses 'nap to the back of the ride' (when one is trying to say canter a 20m circle then go large in canter to the back of the ride but horsey just canters to back of ride unless you can win the battle of course!). My friend thought this was more what she'd call bolting and napping to her is when the horse won't go forward.

Planting is what i'd call it when the horse won't go forward or when they won't lift their feet in any circumstance really, like for picking out etc.

Bolting to me is when the horse takes of at canter/gallop and there is no stopping it.

So can anyone shed some light on the 3 terms?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with your definitions :)

The only crossover is that the canter example does imply running off, of sorts. Another example is going on a hack and horse persistantly returns to yard or refuses to move from gate into school.

I agree with your definitions :)

The only crossover is that the canter example does imply running off, of sorts. Another example is going on a hack and horse persistantly returns to yard or refuses to move from gate into school.

ah ha intensive hours on NR are paying off;)

So your examples- returning home on a hack when rider doesn't want to= napping ?

Refusing to move from gate into school= napping? or could this be called planting too if just won't budge?

Only want to add that IMO (for what its worth:rolleyes:) a horse is never bolting at canter or trot - it is merely rushing forward at the speed it chooses and can usually be persuaded to slow down or stop within a short distance. A truly bolting horse is at a flat out gallop and nothing, but nothing, will stop it until the horse decides it wants to stop. Absolutely terrifying and when a horse does REALLY bolt with you, you will not be in any doubt that it is in fact, truly bolting!:D

My interpretation,(not necessarily right I might add!!),would be as follows:

Napping-when horse ignores you and your instructions,and moves where it wants to go,ie:napping towards the gate when in the school.

Planting: Refusing to move their feet.I had a mare that did a good impression of being 'rooted to the floor' when asked to leave the yard,she was great at planting bless her:rolleyes:

Bolting:to me that would be a horse taking off out of control of the rider.Not necessarily galloping flat out,but reacting quickly to something by taking flight.

yep and yep! Lol.

Him going home would be napping, but could also be bolting...

Stood at gate could be napping or planting! Personal opinion really.

I would go with going on a hack, if horse refused to leave yard and stopped and refused to move as planting. If said horse went to leave ayrd and ran back to stable, then that to me would be napping lol

Yes yes and yes again!:D

So to summarise. :) and just to be sure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet;)

Bolting- out of control, flight type response from horse, rider has lost control, horse stops when it decides to.

Napping- horse not listening to rider but not out of control generally, just a bit of an arguement about where you want to go:D, could be at any pace but in gallop could be called bolting?:confused:i know what i mean!!

Planting- probably easiest to define, feet firmly on the ground, doesn't want to move feet in any direction, or lift feet. Bit like a sit down protest really!:D

Does this sound about right? I suppose like most things people have their own ideas about what is what. I know what my friend calls a 'meltdown' with her 5 year old is most definitely not what i'd call a meltdown with mine, more a slight thawing in my opinion:D

Bolting in my mind is somehting very few people actually experience, it is not just galloping off homeward or to the other horses, those are actually napping. Bolting is horse that has lost all reason and will do things that endanger itself, I often quote an example of a horse heading for the edge of a quarry, if running away it will stop or change direction, if bolting it may well carry on over the edge.

A horse that fails to complete a 20 metre circle in preference to joining the ride is again not a true nap but just a horse that has learnt to take advantage of less experienced riders, I bet they don't do it with the RI! A horse on the other hand consistantly stopping by the door or even galloping toward the door of the RS is napping!!

Planting is self explanatory, horse stops and refuses to move forward, ususally resolved by moving shoulder or quarters.

Bolting - you have brown pants!!! a true bolt as eml said most don't experience it's when horse is going full pelt and nothing in the world is going to stop it, even if you have the emergency stop under your belt. bale out springs to my mind and i have done so and let the horse run into whatever. it's normaly blind, as in doesn't imo see. blind panic springs to mind.

Nappy- gate hanging in the school, wanting to head for the gate, not leaving the yard, not leaving it's friend's, won't enter show ring.

Planting-refusing to move at all, under saddle or leading, loading springs to mind.

Regardless of definitions we should think about WHY the horse does it. Fear, pain, confused.

Bolting in my mind is somehting very few people actually experience, it is not just galloping off homeward or to the other horses, those are actually napping. Bolting is horse that has lost all reason and will do things that endanger itself, I often quote an example of a horse heading for the edge of a quarry, if running away it will stop or change direction, if bolting it may well carry on over the edge.

A horse that fails to complete a 20 metre circle in preference to joining the ride is again not a true nap but just a horse that has learnt to take advantage of less experienced riders, I bet they don't do it with the RI! A horse on the other hand consistantly stopping by the door or even galloping toward the door of the RS is napping!!

Planting is self explanatory, horse stops and refuses to move forward, ususally resolved by moving shoulder or quarters.

This.

The horse who naps (what my RI calls it) works perfectly well in open order but when we are working in a group he tanks off to the back of the ride as he comes out the first 20m circle. He does it with everyone. Even tries it on with the staff who are all experienced,he lifts his head up high, evades the bit and just tanks to the back of the ride. I agree he is taking advantage because there are some riders who can manage him better than others but when he works on his own he is fine. I am lost as to how to tell the difference with taking the mic and napping. Surely they are part of the same thing? I'm confused:confused: (but that happens often:confused::p):p

Can you explain the difference to me?? Basic terms would be good:D

Bolting - you have brown pants!!! a true bolt as eml said most don't experience it's when horse is going full pelt and nothing in the world is going to stop it, even if you have the emergency stop under your belt. bale out springs to my mind and i have done so and let the horse run into whatever. it's normaly blind, as in doesn't imo see. blind panic springs to mind.

Nappy- gate hanging in the school, wanting to head for the gate, not leaving the yard, not leaving it's friend's, won't enter show ring.

Planting-refusing to move at all, under saddle or leading, loading springs to mind.

Regardless of definitions we should think about WHY the horse does it. Fear, pain, confused.

Brown pants .. he he <rolls around the floor laughing>

Hi.

Not overly sure but think napping can be caused by a number of things, fear, pain, confusion,separation anxiety, boredom ( i.e doing the same thing in the same place everyday. Not sure if taking the mick is the same or not but some horses and ponies will test their rider.

Concerning bolting, i was truly bolted with 3 weeks ago. I was riding in the top field, just walking, when with no warning my share horse just took off at a gallop. There was nothing i could do he just wasn't listening. Unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you look at it, we went straight through the fencing where i eventually fell off. He was fine and galloped back to the yard with 2 other horses in tow:eek:.

I have a partially torn tendon in the shoulder, otherwise all ok but a very frightening experience.:(

Yes the bolting situation is definately one where one seriously considers its bale out time - in fact I did once - railwayline approaching at alarming speed - bailed out - much bruising and the old sod veered off and galloped into the sunset at the last minute (should have sat it out I guess:eek:)

but do remember as a child a local dealers teenage son - a notoriously hard and mad rider - was bolted with by a nervous young horse in the forest - galloped headlong into a tree - horse survived but the lad was killed instantly as he was catapulted headlong into the tree and broke his neck:eek: The father took the horse home and shot it himself - what a complete barsteward:( Not horses fault IMO - just totally wound up by a nutty rider.

Planting IMO is all four feet super glued to the spot and even a rocket launcher up the rear end will not persuade neddy to move in any direction:rolleyes: Been there also = God Ive had some dodgy nags havent I??:D

Re the RS horse and circles or not...this seems to be the hardened RS horse/pony evasion which several of mine are well practiced at ...when they think they will get away with it...!

They will not do it in open order as there are generally not one horse at one end of the school and the others in a bunch. How established it becomes depends on the RIs and the approach they take to the issue...I don't think some of the 'games' RS horse and ponies do are napping, jibbing, planting as much as exercising a sense of humour!! I have one who's favourite trick when in the mood is to stop dead when at the front of the ride...until I turn towards him, not because he thinks I would hit him but because he has got my attention.. another can tell the time and lines up at 5 minutes before the end of a lesson......a bit like a load of kids really:D

Re the RS horse and circles or not...this seems to be the hardened RS horse/pony evasion which several of mine are well practiced at ...when they think they will get away with it...!

They will not do it in open order as there are generally not one horse at one end of the school and the others in a bunch. How established it becomes depends on the RIs and the approach they take to the issue...I don't think some of the 'games' RS horse and ponies do are napping, jibbing, planting as much as exercising a sense of humour!! I have one who's favourite trick when in the mood is to stop dead when at the front of the ride...until I turn towards him, not because he thinks I would hit him but because he has got my attention.. another can tell the time and lines up at 5 minutes before the end of a lesson......a bit like a load of kids really:D

Ha ha i LOVE it!!!
That really makes me laugh! My friend had been riding this horse for a while and then decided to give up because she was getting more and more uptight on him and felt he was getting the better of her. It almost seems like it is alot to do with confidence. RI is always shouting 'don't let him do it' but i can see half way thru the 'fight' my friend is giving up. I completely understand how she feels as i have been there before myself (not on this particular chancer) How do you 'not let him do it', what should you do when they stick their heads in the air and tank off to where they want to be? My friend looks to be pulling back on the reins but he seems to lock his head into one position and he has that naughty look in his eye:D Any tips i can pass onto her?

All of those definitions are exactly my interpretation of them too :cool:

Without seeing the horse I can only say what works with ours.

Maintain bend to the inside while half halting with the outside hand to control speed...do not just take strong contact make sure there is give and take. Open inside hand away from neck and make sure you are sitting correctly to continue round circle. Carry stick in outside hand and press it against the horses shoulder as a reinforcing aid, this will also press the outside rein against he horses neck as an additional aid....if necessary bring outside leg well forward. Above all believe and ride as if you are going round that circle!!!

We had a little welsh mare with a good game... If she was at the front she would make out like she needed to pee. And would stretch out, kid up in stirrups....and wait. And wait. She would get a chance or two and then behaviour would get ignored... So she mastered the art of little wees... Very clever! She didnt mind being at the front, she just didnt like moving when she was there!

newrider.com