Please can anyone help me

ebonyallen

Apr 19, 2009
I have been riding for over 40 years and 6 years ago I had a riding acident and broke my leg they tried for 4 years to save the leg with operations and cages but then an infection got in and it was loose the leg or my life, they had to take the leg off above the knee with means a false leg which goes all the way up to my bottom. My horse also broke her leg just before they removed mine and together we have both recovered and with out her I would not be here she is the reason I make myself get up each day she needs me little does she know how much I need her. I made my mind up to ride again and now am at the stage where we go out on hacks with other horses and can trot, but my confidence has taken a big knock I feel unbalanced and the leg is not that comfortable to ride in cos it digs in and hangs over the edge of the saddle, my lower leg moves back and the foot slips to the back of the stirrup. to name just a few of the problems.
Can any one suggest anything I could try to make things a bit better, my problem is I can not find anyone to talk to that has the same problem, below knee have spoken to a few but not above, I know I can not be alone but I really feel that I am,want so much to get better and do the things we always did and I feel that I am letting her down.
I muck out and do everything for her depending on the weather conditions but want to do more and just can not find the help.
Went to a local RDA but they only had mentally handicaped people and could not help me, sorry to go on but just need some help from someone please any ideas would be great.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your problems. Sorry can't offer help. Don't know where about in the country you are but their is a fabulous R.D.A centre at The Calvert Trust in Keswick in the Lake District. They cater for everyone including amputees. Even if you are not near them maybe you could give them a phone and ask for some advice.
Wishing You Well

could you ride side saddle?

I know that is a bit left field - but I have a poorly right leg, and it has taken me 12 years to get riding again....... and that was one thing I considered.

I think there are a couple of girls on here who have lost a leg. Hopefully they will see this and get back to you. I am sure one of the girls has a different leg that she uses for riding. Is it worth asking your doctors about something like this?

I think its pretty damn amazing that you are doing this and hope you manage to get sorted.

Welcome to NR:)
Kirsten

Thank you and yes it made me really laugh out loud big style, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question x

I live in a small village in Kent, have just been told about another local place so I am off there on Friday to see how it goes, thanks for your reply will add that to my list of people to try ;)

Thanks side saddle is another option which we have thought of, off to another place on Friday to see if they can help me,again thanks for your time :)

i've got a friend in an almost identical position as you!!
she is actually considering riding without her leg and is currently in talks with a saddler about designing a holder for the stump (a bit like a leather grazing muzzel lol :eek:) that attaches onto the saddle but that will also come off if she falls or it could be lethal!
they are also trying to design a riding leg for her but as you say = how it attaches causes a lot of trouble and digs in to bits that should not be dug into! lol
oh - have you tried contacting the disabled dressage peeps - http://www.para-equestrian.com/ for example they might be able to help or may suggest a good instructor in your area
hope you find a solution - and well done for sticking with it xx

Hi, have you thought of getting in touch with some of the para riders, I am a para rider but with different disability to you. They will be able to point you to saddlers ect. and share some of their experience with you.

Thank you its good to know am not on my own, and as a friend you must know what its like for your friend I am always moaning to my mates about how my leg has just bit my bum along with other bits that we will not mention lol !! thanks for your info and I will follow up your suggestions thanks again for your time xx

I am new to all of this so will try to get hold of the para riders to see if they might have any ideas, was a bit nervous of asking for help but everyone is very kind and giving me things to follow up on, should have done this a while ago but felt a bit stupid, now glad I did so thank you x x

Why dont you try to go to one of our competions and you will meet lots of people there who will be able to help you or point you in the right directions. Have a look on the BD site for dates, shame you just missed the Spring Championships but the KBIS qualifiers are on over next few month, this week end at Vale View Equestrian Centre. And you also got some qualifiers still for the RDA National Championships. Hope this all helps and I might meet you at one of these competions :)

Post WW 1, many of the amputees - and remember that amputation surgery and, especially, prosthetic technology were both in their infancy - found that one of the few sports they could still enjoy was riding. Many men rode side-saddle - of course these were still easy to get hold of, even with the pommels on the offside, to cope with whichever leg had been damaged or amputated, and many used a 'stump-holder' on their regular cross saddle.

There WILL be a satisfactory solution for you, and the power of the internet will help you find it.

Posie I have seen some WW1 Military saddles made for officers who lost a leg, made with a stump holder on the flap.

Sorry, wrote this before reading Old Woman's post ! :D :D

You can get near and off side saddles, off side ones are rarer, but some you can swap about from side to side!

Thank you will check out the site and see if anything is sort of near were I live, I am right on the south coast where you can not go any further France is closer than most places in the UK. That is what I really want is to be able to talk to someone the same as me, to see how they do things,any tips etc,so will see what we can come up with thanks ;)

Side saddle is another option,I started with my GP saddle and then moved to a Dressage one, which does make me feel a little more secure, so at the moment due to finances will have to put that on hold for a while. You are so right with the internet have just got back on line with a new laptop after a year without it, and now on a mission to see what I can find out, and so far the responce from people has been great. Thank you also for your help.

Thanks I have lost my right leg, and I will be checking out all the answers that every one has been kind enough to give me, so again thank you for taking the time to answer ;)

So an ordinary side saddle ought to do you. Do you have enough of a right leg to reach the fixed head on a side saddle do you think?
You know you can rent them on a monthly, yearly basis, so you can find out whether it's right for you or not?

you could always do what I did when I smashed my leg up.......start driving and being a hooligan that way! :D :D I still have all of mine, held together with nuts and bolts but was told to stop doing X country.

No not enough of it left, this place I am going to on Frid also do driving, so again is something to ask about, the only thing is still want to do this with Ebony and the thought of her on the road with a cart is well !!! lol I have told my mates that when I die, I would like her to pull me as she from the name you will gather would be the correct colour, and we all have a good laugh at this bless her. Not that I am planing to go anywhere yet!! Plus me let loose would be bad enough everyone has to put up with me on the roads in my car lol But back on a serious note one thing I have not lost is my sence of humour and I will ask them, they also do Western Riding so that could be another option. You take care of your metal bits and perhaps I could let people know how I get on, but thats not a question so not sure if am allowed to do that x ;)

newrider.com