Planning my Wales Ride, WWYD part 3

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The synopsis again in case you missed it; I plan to ride the 275+ mile (depending on how lost I get) route in September over approx. 20 days with some rest days thrown in, at this point, although I'm hoping for company I am planning to be self-sufficient for the most part. I've mapped the route and plotted the over-night stops (info provided by the BHS) but am yet to call them to book in and see what facilities they have but I am mostly just wanting a paddock for my pony, access to water and room for my tent. I plan to carry all my gear. I can probably get re-stocks once a week (if I'm lucky and my mum will drive across the country on her precious weekends off work) or will have to post packages to my over-nights to pick up on route. I haven't done final calculations yet but think I will have about 44lbs or 20kg tops for gear (working off 20% of Jess's body weight to include, me and tack also)

Coralling, last ride we corralled, leccy fence posts and a strand of leccy but she was with her buddy and we had the truck to carry all this, although I'm hoping these places have paddocks, I want to be prepared just in case I get caught out so I plan to teach Jess to highline or picket which is where you tie a rope from tree to tree then tie them to the rope though this may impact on her grazing time for the hours I'm sleeping, its not my primary plan, just a backup, am I mental? I could possibly carry enough leccy and find some kind of collapsible poles and find some way to carry them but I think that’s a lot to add for a backup plan.

I think this is amazing. It is doing me good reading it - I am such a wuss and worry about moving house with mine, never mind setting off on a long ride like yours!:D

Reactions: Jessey
I actually started to feel very nervous when I was sat mapping it, hugely excited too, but very nervous, its huge but will be such an accomplishment for me.

Reactions: Trewsers
Could you hobble her? Or teach her to be hobbled, or to ground tie? I would be cautious about using a tying method that prevented her from grazing. A tether is traditional but I know some people don't like them and that horses have to learn how to work them.

I taught her to hobble years ago, refreshing it shouldnt be an issue but if they want to go they still can, I would do that when im awake but being alone I worry she might wander when im not watching, I only normally sleep for about 6 hours. I thought about tethering but figured id need to carry a stake?

Your plans sound wonderful - you're very brave! Have you seen this website http://www.rideroundengland.org/? He organised his ride differently from yours (arranged to stay in people's homes where there was a paddock for the horse, not camping, but there's a lot of useful info on the website, and a link to the Long Riders Guild. Either of them would probably offer advice or suggestions.

I will have another read thanks Linda, the long riders seem to do lots in wales, their website was pretty out of date when I looked at it. I decided not to fund raise this time, I spent so much time on it last time and I hate asking people for money, lots of people seemed to think I was asking them to pay for my trip to do what I love, even when I stressed all monies went to the Brooke.

I think a highline might be more practical than carrying electric fencing, if the places you are staying are horse b&b's they should have paddocks.

Reactions: Jessey
Again I don't really know. But I am insanely jealous of your trip. It sounds absolutely amazing and you will have the best time.

My initial thoughts for what they are worth is that I would teach her to tether. But this is based on no experience or knowledge so don't take too much notice! It just seems that if you tether her you have lots of options. You don't need a tree, you don't need electricity, it doesn't take up much space. It's only an emergency measure which ideally you wouldn't use, but if I were you I would like to know that I can secure my horse pretty much anywhere using the tether.

Reactions: KP nut and Jessey
Yeah hopefully I'll make it to my planned camps each night, however I have been known on occasion to get lost out riding (I normally find myself quickly with a map) but you never know :D

Thanks, im going south to north coast, not sure if it gets into the cambrians, can see im going to have to brush up on whats where [emoji3]

We will average about 15, I want to take it easy to enjoy the country along the way :) I've just posted my route on my diary if you're interested.

Reactions: HorseHelen
newrider.com