Plaiting question

M

mu0ljk

I want to have a go at showing my coloured at a local show tomorrow but am having real problems with plaiting him up! :eek:

Does he have to be plaited or could I leave him unplaited?

Quick pic....
DSCF6147.jpg

Thank-you! :eek:

I didn't plait for the showing class I did, there was a complete mix of entries in it. I would just make his mane look as clean and tidy as possible. If you really don't know how to plait it would look better left 'au naturelle'!

I think it depends on which class you are doing too

If they mention it just say you are doing the show for the experience as its your first (who's to know?) then you'll know for next time and you'll be able to practice plaiting for the next one!!

Good luck - have fun & let us know how it goes :)

and also he is lush and yes plait :) i am doing my first showing class tomorrow too on my boy who is also coloured!! you will look smarter than me though as your horse has a nicely pulled tail :D mine hasnt! good luck and have fun xx :)

Thanks for all your advice! :)

I had a look at some online videos for plaiting too and ending up trying to plait him up with a needle and thread. It took a lot longer but at least it looked a bit better! :D

Here is the fellow all poshed up! :)

DSCF8313.jpg

Oh and for a laugh - here is the fellow with the plaits taken out! :eek:

"Just call me Mister Curly Top!"
DSCF8348.jpg

We did thanks :)
It was really busy and I was half tempted to turn round and go home but he was nice and quiet! We did the beginners jumping but knocked a jump down and then came 5th in the showing class.

Otto was a star especially in the showing class as we have never cantered round in a group before! :cool:

Aw thanks guys! I have plaited before but that was on Sidney who had a nice thin tb mane and with elastic bands -Otto's is a bit thick and unruly and the bands just kept popping off! :p I actually found it easier with a needle and thread and although he had quite a lot of plaits (18 including the forelock :oops: ) I thought he looked rather posh! Dead chuffed with his forelock too - somebody suggested french plaiting it and it worked a treat - so thanks for that tip! :cool:

If I was plaiting him I'd have done fewer, larger plaits.

All those little button sprouts made his neck look straight, a few lager ones would have looked better. Good plaits though. Glad they stayed put.

newrider.com