Phoenix & the barbed wire fence, Insurance? Hope so.....

crabbypatty

Mar 18, 2009
Phoenix the welfare case TB i have had 3 weeks has had the most awful accident, i still feel in shock. When i arrive at the fields this morning i could see the gate swinging between the 2 fields, one should have had Phoenix within it and the other the other 2 ponies one of which literally hates Phoenix, my heart started to pound, the kids ran on ahead across the fields about 5 acres, my 10 year old son screamed and said "oh no" i caught up and saw Phoenix hopping on 3 legs after struggling to stand up, the other ponies were stood a long way away,he was lying down to start with, bless him he tried to hobble towards us, i could see just a mass of blood and skin on his hind legs, next i saw the barbed wire fence inbetween the 2 fields all slack on the top rung, anyway he was so grateful to see us, covered in flies, he limped very slowly across the 2 fields upto the stables, very sorry for himself & into the stable. The skin was literally peeled down hanging against his hooves with the bone showing on both legs, blood everywhere, rang the vet who was there in 20 mins. He was positive, says he has "seen worse" no tendon damage, but he has done himself a lot of damage, will take at least 3 months to start with then laser treatment as it cannot be stitched, torn skin will be removed in about 7 - 10 days time. He sedated him, injected a painkiller, topped up tetanus, gave anti B's, squirted with saline, put on hydrogel and bandaged heavily, left me bute for him and will be back saturday to redress, he was amazing, was there almost 2 hours being so gentle, this will go on every 3 days, also asked if i was insured knowing this is a welfare case and i have had him only 3 weeks. i said yes with E&L, called them today, he said to advise them immediately that it was an Acute Exterior Injury, there is hope i am covered i took out the more expensive premium cover, couldnt get them - all too busy was asked to leave message which i did. Fingers crossed, any experience of this? Have had the policy since 1st July paying monthly so have not even paid 1 month yet until the 1st August. I feel so gutted as the nasty pony had obviously got in, chewed through the lead rope tied round the gate post was so desparate to get in, i think he chase him and the TB jumped the fence to get away, god knows how long it had gone on for possibly with the injury although i hope not. Anyway he is comfortable, sedation worn off, can barely move but you know what? His ears are up and he is loving the attention and i do think he is grateful, being so soft and sweet, eaten his dinner tonight. Going back early in morning to give him his breakfast and bute. Feel so bad he has had this happen after previously suffering 2 terrible homes before me! The vet was the same vet who attended him about 6 months ago in his terrible home, called out by the other girls at livery yard, he told me more about his terrible life, his owners and is pleased we have him now, says he is one of life's victims and other horses know it thats why he is badly bullied always. Sorry this so long, its helped me to write it all down :( am so sad :(

When Libby cut her tendon, check ligament & everything else in her leg on barbed wire, Petplan payed out without any trouble at all -- they covered the emergency treatment and subsequent scans, etc ...

Fingers Crossed!

Libby is 100% sound and has been for several years, btw, so there is always hope!

Thank you so much, lets pray E&L are as obliging. Hope Libby is fine now? The vet said Phoenix will have terrible scarring & proud flesh at end of it all etc but i am not at all bothered about that, just want to get him well. ;)

aww bless him trying his hardest to get up and to you for help. Fingers crossed all will be ok and his wounds will heal ok.Sounds like the poor horse has been through quite alot. I hope you manage to get E and L to pay out ok as I have heard alot of not so good things about how slow they are and how they will try to get out of paying in any way they can.However I don't have any personal experience of making a claim with them so can't really comment on whether that is true or not. My own horse is also on rest atm due to injury caused in the field. His was a result of either falling over a grass roller left in the field which I had seen him climb over previously or possibly a kick from an unshod horse although even my vet feels the first option is the most likely due to his injuries. He has been off work now for 2 weeks and if no better by Tuesday will be going for xrays and scans to see if the damage is more serious than suspected.

Thank u Summercandy, the vet today also said E&L very slow to pay but nomore than that - i hope anyway! Hope your horse is ok. Horses really do break your heart ;)

TB's and barbed wire do not mix. It is not safe with any horses but particularly with Tbs who seem to be accident prone due to having fine skin and being a bit sharper . Please move him/her to a safer field now. Don't blame the pony, blame the wire.

Good luck with E&L, I think you may have a fight on your hands, particularly as you haven't yet paid a premium. Our vets will not do treatment without prepayment for horses insured by them.

Sorry just read that back and it came across as a bit sharp.

Subject close to my heart as we have collection of ex racers including one who was starved, hidden from the ILPH in a shipping container, scarred for life by barbed wire and then rescued but shut in a stable and fed too much too quickly.

She will be right eventually, at 6 we have years to work with her and she is already much happier and more secure. I hope you can do the same with yours.

Please sort out your facilities NOW though.

a tip for E&L note everytime you ring them, dates time, name of person you spoke to and ask for any reference number, they are a nightmare to pay out and our vet also like previous mentioned asks for payment up front for anyone insured by them.

hope horsie gets better soon, my horse has accidents with barbwire when he was younger and his legs are a right mess now to look at but he is perfectly sound

Sorry just read that back and it came across as a bit sharp.

Subject close to my heart as we have collection of ex racers including one who was starved, hidden from the ILPH in a shipping container, scarred for life by barbed wire and then rescued but shut in a stable and fed too much too quickly.

She will be right eventually, at 6 we have years to work with her and she is already much happier and more secure. I hope you can do the same with yours.

Please sort out your facilities NOW though.

Thanks for that, very helpful, i must say this barb wire fence along one side of fencing was fenced off by electric fencing but the young gelding has no respect for this it seems when desperate to attack, but will take down the top strand tomorrow as its the only bit of fence that is barbed wire, could do fence and post even along that bit its only about 25ft long. I may be coming to you again checking i am feeding him right etc if you dont mind, am going on advise given by local feed suppliers at the mo, i have not had a pure TB before, only TBXID and TBXwelsh, i am willing to learn and have the time and patience to get this horse right. Fingers crossed with E&L i am hoping they will be ok :confused:

Update on Phoenix -

He looks happy enough today amazingly his mood is good, hobbling very badly, having bute twice a day, huge bandages being changed tomorrow by vet. rang E & L got throught this time and gave details they are sending me a claims form, no quibbling at this stage, hope it looks hopeful :confused: Phoenix loves being in his stable always has done so at least thats a plus and as my mother-in-law says (incredibly horsey born in the hunting saddle type!) he feels secure in there, nothing/ no horse can hurt him etc Feeling more positive today, sorry i was so grim yesterday, still feel sick about it but better. Have taken down the barbed wire strand on the top that was the culprit, as someone quite rightly said, TB's are different & unpredictable and altho it had been there years with no incident with the other ponies or horses thats cos we were lucky - it was our fault cos of the barbed wire fence not the pony that chased Phoenix over it. :(

newrider.com