P45 Question

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I've recently left my previous employer & started at a new company but as of yet, my previous employer has not provided me with a P45 but I have completed a P46.

At present, my previous employee has not confirmed when I can expect this. How long would be standard and is there anything I can do to ensure I get a copy?

I'm assuming I'll be emergency taxed until the end of the tax year without it & will definitely be emergency taxed this coming month as the payroll date has already surpassed.

In all other employment, I've received a copy of my P45 quickly, so not sure what the protocol is ...

Were you paid weekly or monthly in your last job?
P45’s should be produced the day your last payslip is run and should be posted to you straight away. However some employers can be awkward, just because they can, more so if they didn’t want you to leave.
You can ring the Tax Office who will ask for details off your final payslip and calculate the correct Tax Code for you.
I would be amazed if you are still on emergency tax at the end of the Tax year - something would be seriously wrong!
See it as a way of saving up, if you pay too much tax for the next couple of months, you should get a nice ‘bonus’ once your tax code is corrected.

Reactions: Jessey
I agree, they normally generate it after all your final payments (pay, holiday owed etc) have been run and should send it out pretty promptly after that.

I print them after the final payroll and send them to the employee by email. I think it's disgraceful that bigger companies take so long to produce them, with online reporting for PAYE there is no excuse.

It's worth saying that HMRC already know your situation as your previous employer will have sent them all the information on the first pay run after your departure, so if you are stuck, phone them.

Thanks so much :) I was paid monthly, so that might explain it. Fingers crossed I won't be on emergency tax rates for too long!

newrider.com