Our Gang 2016

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
beginning of January, the weather is crap and everything is either wet or Mud!

Boys had feet done a week ago, both are footy on concrete , fine on grass, keeping a close eye as its a little early for Acorn's mobility issues to hit in but with the weather being so wet this winter and damp being an issue any problems with the feet can set them off quickly - he has a poultice on yesterday and today, I would put a rug on to help with the damp but its still so mild and with a full coat he sweats even with a no fill! I hate this time of year as its always a management nightmare as far as he is concerned, Charlie is the one foot and suspect it might be the trim - will ring farrier tomorrow if no better for his thoughts, they were both fine before the trim - he didn't think any softness issues but soft soles, newly trimmed feet and concrete do not match well for either of them, we have restricted hard ground as much as, but if they have bruised then next worry is abcessing- which we can well do without.

the girls are in the bog now - even the top of their hill field is boggy - lakes down at the bottom and rivers running through, they are both coping fine.

Reactions: MrA
damn,bother and blast! Charlie is on the up, poor Acorn is not doing too good again bless him - he is fine with his hay, will not have his HH with his suppliments in but is eating just HH dry, have kept him in today and sprayed both fronts - hes on bute to try and keep him from losing his back end but it looks like it might be another fight for him again this winter - the damp does not help, his stable is damp which does not help and the field resembles a bog - Nothing showing on the poultice other than black, suspect it might be thrush so have stopped wetting it and on with purple spray in effort to contain, I can put a nappy on as it still allows foot to breath but keeps it clean - hes does not seem to mind, I did a quick epsom soak a couple of nights ago and he seemed to get some relief from that - cleaned foot to allow me to spray it once dry. Its official - neither of us do Winter!

True to form the Acorn winter rollercoaster is running! last night he was walking round the stable quite content shouting for his food:) feet sprayed again last night and a nappy only on the worst foot, he was still in a good mood this morning, bute reduced to make sure nothing is being masked, but his back end has stayed right in the stable which is what the bute is intended to help with - hes eaten up this morning and hes still in as the weather is bad again and the turnout is full of water and mud - tomorrow if still the same progress I will take him for a walk out and reaccess.

Charlie seems happy enough, hes in with spray treatment on feet - he had a walk out this morning (grass only) and was full of himself - so obviously feeling better!

The girls are fine up in the hill field ( more a swamp now even on the tops) - it is supposed to get colder next week - fingers crossed for some good frosts to kill the bugs! the girls are going to have their rugs replaced with fresh ones at the weekend and the ones on their backs sent away for cleaning and reproofing ready for the next deluge.

roll on Summer!

quick update - the boys are out again - good coating of stockholm tar applied to feet - acorn a bit stiff on o/s rear but thats normal for hi afterextended period in - hes on reduced bute , jusy enough to keep him mobile and moving. weathers not too bad - no rain so far today - going up to chaeck on them shortly -so far so good.

the girls are in the bog now - even the top of their hill field is boggy - lakes down at the bottom and rivers running through, they are both coping fine.
Ditto, never known our hill fields to squelch either.
Streams at the bottoms and flooded parts.

we are used to thebottom of the fields but for the top of the hill to be almost as bad is just not right!

the boys survived the day out - it raied heavily again over night and first thing this morning so they have both had a walk out and are staying in today - hopefully with the wind and sun we now have it will dry the padocks a bit so they can go out tommorrow.

its getting colder and frost is forcast - we can always strap padding onto feet to help with hard ground and stop bruising - we really need some frosts now to kill the bugs in the ground.

It seemed to be darker than ever at 8.00 this morning - so much for longer daylight hours - roll on summer -hoping it will not be the wash out we had last year!

Found time to get on at last, well thanks to the combination of sh*t weather,Mud and contractors with tractors collecting Muck getting stuck at the yard and causing havoc, we have had Charlie in on box rest for over a week now barely able to move, he looks to have slipped and twisted and has a problem with o/s stifle and muscles along that side, spoke with Vet and hes on bute and box rest with small walk out morning and night - hes getting massage mitt on him twice a day and a liniment to help, we have been seeing a slight improvement last couple of days, this morning was best he has been since he did it and he can at last lift his back legs with support for picking feet out - farrier came on Saturday and managed to balance them but limited to what he could do - Acorn had his feet done but hes suffering with his usual winter mobility issues - he goes into Crab mode with his back legs, so he on his maintenance dose of bute to keep him moving, hes out today but non too happy about it as hes on his own and its blowing like mad., but hes in tomorrow , last day of shooting (beaters day) , so after that he will have no excuse to stay in.

Both girls are fine, although we had to cancel farrier for them as you couldn't find their legs and feet for mud last weekend, so waiting for a spell of dry, we just have to ring farrier and he will come out to them, think he appreciated us not asking him to wallow in Mud!

Daughter has managed to pull a muscle in her wrist area and is wearing a splint which means I have the mucking out to do during the week, although her hubby will do weekends for me.

No photos for this month - can't be ars*d

Well been a while since I visited the site, I have been ill and off work for a few weeks, but back now - the boys are still at the yard although both are moulting , Charlie is recovering well and is getting a full day turnout every other day and walks out on alternate, Acorn is his usual stiff self - had farrier to both and nothing wrong with feet - so its a case of managing him through it , once spring arrives he should recover quite quickly. The girls are up the hill still and its trashed thanks to a very wet winter so far, they have also trashed one of the summer paddocks as well , just hoping it recovers well once this crappy weather is finished with. Have farrier here to all 4 on Saturday so hopefully he will get all 4 of them this time. roll on summer!

Thanks Trewsers, yes much better now thank G! we have Sun today after a very cold start - rain later so that's a bummer! last thing we need is more water on the paddocks - hate to think what the grazing is going to be like, reminds me need to order more hay - used more this year than last 2 put together:(

well March already, really busy and just found myself with a minute so thought I would check in!

Acorn is off the bute and getting stronger, with the help of 2 magnetic fetlock bands and no bute - Charlie has had his bute reduced and is coming on well now, hes on daily turnout, still a bit stiff overnight but soon loosens up, I am hoping to get him off the bute by end of this week - weather and the wetlands permitting they are going out 24/7 on the hill beginning of April - currently the hill is a mixture of bog, streams and lakes - the girls have totally trashed the middle summer grazing paddock, although we have now managed to push them back into the Winter field - that is for as long a Tess decides she wants to come through the fencing again, shes rugged so has no respect for Electric fence whatsoever and Nuts justs follows her.

both girls are well, all four had their feet trimmed a couple of weeks back and all looking good. The Boys have been wormed, Girls to do this weekend.

No Photos for February, I may get some next month when they are turned out.

The boys had thermal imaging last night, ~Charlies injury area is almost sorted but needs massage on his n/s shoulder which daughter will give him as she has qualified in massage therapy, Acorn needs massage on his back end and shoulder so she will do that as well, having the images to work off showing hot spots is a plus - but all in all it confirmed the areas we had been working on where correct, no problems otherwise. Charlie is going to have a follow up and full massage in April before we back him again - I am going to get Acorn redone when he comes in next winter before he has his annual break down - and then will get him done when he starts to show symptoms to see if we can find a better way to manage it before he fully seizes up, at £10 a pop it will be good value.

the boys and Nuts are due for Trim tomorrow night, Fencing to be sorted at field this weekend with a view if land continues to dry up and weather holds of getting the boys out 24/7 at Easter, it always helps with Acorns recovery.

Feet trimmed and all okay - although the ground is now rock hard in the top paddock so the boys are feeling it post trim and a little footy - hopefully fingers crossed back out 24/7 at the weekend - the ground is drying up nicely and recovering - have got all the electric posts in, just the rope to run on Friday - as long as we don't get prolonged rain it should hold them and be better ground to complete their recovery.

Both boys are improving daily in leaps and bounds (literally):) Charlie is now back out in hand on the road, short distance only last few days, trying to transition feet ready for hike up to the summer fields. Acorn is trotting out to and from the field, a little stiff in the stable still but that's normal, the fence rope has arrived so just fingers crossed for the weather now!

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Well it didn't happen for turnout for the boys as the Fields have lakes and wetland status again! we get a few days of dry and they just start to drain and then down it comes to fill it up again! I did manage between rain,hail and thunder storms to get the fencing finished so at least that's ready just the battery etc to link up. Charlies having a new shelter built in his paddock, hopefully roof will go on this weekend, we may take the boys up for the weekend and see how they get on, only worry now is that with the grass growing we need to either get them out soon or they will be delayed whilst Tess plays lawnmower , too much grass not good for the boys............

Tess managed to nick herself in the field, hedge I suspect and she had a nose covered in blood last night - on cleaning it the offending cut could hardly be found- seems okay now - but it gave daughter a fright, has not affected Tess's appetite or improved her attitude if something does not suit the madam :)

Boys both okay and Nuts is the only one who has decided she is not going to let go of her winter wollies until shes sure its getting warmer.

Well the reason for the resting is not just Lazy! the boys have both stiffened again and showing lame, on enquiry it appears the kids from the house at the bottom plus friends had been up playing on the tractor and up and down the top adjacent to the paddock and had both boys running around driving them mad - farrier came on Friday night and Charlie has bruising on all 4 , Acorn only on 1 but he had a growth spurt on his hind toes which didn't help, hes been remedial trimmed again but it will take a few days for him to come back normal again (not the dreaded Lammi farrier informs me, the growth is the wrong type), they stayed in on Friday/Saturday to rest and then out yesterday, not too bad going out but Charlie was poor coming in, bute last night to help and again this morning, Acorns just had a small amount of bute to help and encourage him to move around, the small amount of bruising is not really a worry for him, but this has put us back again - so had to buy an extra load of hay in at the weekend, they really should be out by now - although we had rain Saturday and the fields are full of lakes again - damn weather - hoping with the dry forecast for this week and the wind will dry it up enough in a couple of days to get the girls onto the fresh paddocks to eat them down a bit, if necessary we will trailer the boys up at the weekend so they can get out 24/7 if they are not up to the road by then.

I have had a word with the Kids parents and they have been told not to come into the yard area , they are now back at school so hopefully a week of peace will mean they have a chance to recover enough before going out for the summer.

Well the week has not been without incident and we ended up with the electric fence between the boys trashed at the yard, the other girl who has hers in the bottom field had hers down, one of hers has pulled both fronts off during what ever has happened and taken part of hoof wall off, Charlie was a bit stiff and wound up for a couple of days - we have taken the plunge today and put them out on the summer paddocks - not ideal week looking at weather forcast but the way its going at the yard theres more chance of them getting an injury and never getting fit = with them out of the senario we can try and find out whats happening up there - we caught the kids up there again but not sure they are the issue this time - they were both fine tonight so fingers crossed for the morning.

Sat here at work fed up, watching the snow falling - its not bl**dy winter - we have frosts overnight , windy during the day, showers of various types with Sun inbetween and its so cold, Charlie is not best pleased being turned out 24/7 in it - hes a bit of a Wuss for a Native, luckily he can get some relief under the shelter and hes got his lightweight rug on - the field is standing up at the moment and as hes still on recovery hes not been running around with it being quiet up there , plenty of squealing with the infoal mare next door but its company, Acorns in his section further along, rugged (under protest) to help with the wind and damp and he has a hedge row he can tuck under, luckily there is a bit of leaf on, so hes got a windbreak - he's a little stiff but not begging to come in, hes got Nuts and Tess next door for company so is milking it with Tess for grooming over the fence, hes on bute again to help keep him comfortable whilst his muscles build up - keeping an eye on grass but its stopped growing again with temps being so low. (every cloud and all that;)) putting a flap of hay in their turnout daily for now , line their tummys and help with any frosted grass they get, have a feeling Charlie will be sulking when I go up tonight.

newrider.com