One small step for Storm and I

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
:biggrin::bounce:
Rode in the school - nowt new there but it was a bit windy and we both coped well. She told me when she'd done enough so as I was feeling like my mojo was huge I took her out just down the side for a wander to the end of the yard complex and back. No great shakes for most but quite good for us as, Chloe didn't shout at her to come back and even tho there were the evil rustling woolers hiding down the far side we both didn't bother and we plodded back nice and calm. So, next step, open the gate, go up the hill and back. Sounds easy doesn't it?! Oh well, just wanted to share.:biggrin:

Well done you and Storm, :bounce: having been petrified to go off the yard in the past I can totally understand your joy!
It's not easy for some people to understand just how debilitating nerves can be. Next step the gate, even if you go through the gate and turn around and come back, little steps will get you there.

Thanks - I always think it helps to know other people have suffered with nerves whilst on board too. I know we can do it - it just seems a long time ago since we did!!!

Well done you and Storm. I suffer with nerves and have accepted that I always will, but each little achievement, each scary situation conquered, is as important to us as winning a competition would be to someone else.

Enjoy the feeling, and enjoy each small step. x

That's great, I love reading these posts. I know that elated feeling and its lovely. Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

Well done trewsers! As you know I am often very nervous - and I know how big such achievements are. Especially in the wind!

Fantastic well done :) I really feel very proud of anyone when they overcome nerves or a fear,taking steps to get there, been there myself and its not easy and I take my hat off to you as you always try and I do love reading of yours and storms jollies :D

Thats absolutely fab. Perhaps OH could walk with you for just a few steps through the gate and then you could all turn around and come back again together.

I do think little steps are best, and you have overcome another worry, which as Nat always says, you need to bank and do another little thing.

Never worry what anyone else thinks, as they say, its only one ride between having confidence and having it shaken.

I think most of us who have suffered with our confidence will appreciate just what a huge buzz it is when we get even a small way further along the path of our huge battle!:happy:

Well done you and well done Storm...I am another one who would enlist Mr. Trewsers as a foot soldier, it really, really helped me when I was at an all time low about hacking out.

Well done Trews! 'Scuse me if I am being nosy but don't know the full pic - is it just Storm you're nervous of hacking or nags in general? Why, if just Storm?

(With a 'difficult' horse of my own, I find it helpful hearing about other people's and how they cope.)

Well done Trews! 'Scuse me if I am being nosy but don't know the full pic - is it just Storm you're nervous of hacking or nags in general? Why, if just Storm?

(With a 'difficult' horse of my own, I find it helpful hearing about other people's and how they cope.)

Storm isn't difficult - she's quite spooky but I lose my hacking mojo from time to time. It isn't easy as Chloe can't be left and it isn't always ideal for OH to bring her with us, if he's busy he just can't manage it. Years ago Storm and Joe (that was OH's horse) used to hack together for miles, even do road work, but over the years it sort of slipped away. I know we can get back into it, but it seems quite a way off atm. We are lucky as we have no road work, its all our own land or the 200 acres I am allowed on. Not that she's bad in traffic, but its one less worry. I have no problem hacking horses say from riding centres, call it blind faith, but they tend to know their jobs! Storm is quite flighty, so it does take me quite a bit to push us both outside of our comfort zones.

Thanks all - I am hoping to get up the hill sooner rather than later and make the most of my hacking time before the free range highlands come! They are no bother really, but stupid neighbour made them nervous around people - he kept chasing them off, prior to that they would simply ignore us and walk past calmly. Now they tend to skitter past!!!! Hopefully Mr Gillies my hacking pheasant will be happy to accompany us - he's very good at trotting alongside us and of course it's all de spooking for Storm as she doesn't bat an eyelid when he puffs himself up and squawks!!!

Storm isn't difficult - she's quite spooky but I lose my hacking mojo from time to time. It isn't easy as Chloe can't be left and it isn't always ideal for OH to bring her with us, if he's busy he just can't manage it. Years ago Storm and Joe (that was OH's horse) used to hack together for miles, even do road work, but over the years it sort of slipped away. I know we can get back into it, but it seems quite a way off atm. We are lucky as we have no road work, its all our own land or the 200 acres I am allowed on. Not that she's bad in traffic, but its one less worry. I have no problem hacking horses say from riding centres, call it blind faith, but they tend to know their jobs! Storm is quite flighty, so it does take me quite a bit to push us both outside of our comfort zones.

I know what you mean - I am going hacking for 3 days in Spain next weekend and that doesn't bother me at all (maybe ignorance is bliss!). I get more nervous hacking the horses out from our yard where I know where the spooky points are, and which horses react to what.

newrider.com