Omg the ice!!

x.Moomoo.x

Apr 28, 2009
South West
Well this morning was absolutely horrendous in the South West! in the space of what would be a 10/15 min car journey, i saw 4 car accidents and 5 people slip over because of the ice! We had cars crushed into concrete walls, cars smashed up into the barriers on dual carriageways.. you name it we had it! Black ice mushed up to the max where you couldn't physically go faster than 10mph! i'd rather have had snow!!

It took me 2 HOURS!!! to somewhere which would take 20 mins usually, to then be told we all had to turn back as the A38 had major accidents on it, and no one could move anywhere! So had to do a 3 point turn on black ice, and then drive back up a hill.. well i had to slow down to a stop because of cars infront, and then my car just wheel span for 20 mins, i was stuck!!! :eek: no one bothered to stop and help, apart from 1 man who guided me slightly and i finally got up it!
My sister left for work at 7.30am and got 5 mins up the road, in a traffic jam for 3 whole hours because of another crash, and all roads/junctions were blocked off.. there was even 1 man with his shaving foam out having a shave!!! :D It was just ridiculous!

My mum said there were 298 casualties with broken bones from the ice outside that couldn't be seen to as all the ambulances were out at work, and the wards were packed! Everyone has said they have NEVER seen it this bad in their whole life, it's unreal and so so dangerous. I just hope it's not as bad tomorrow as it's really very dangerous conditions!!

To anyone driving, be extremelyyyyyyy careful!!!!!

We are the same here, the yard is just one big ice rink and the horses, cars, people are slipping everywhere.

We had a rain shower earlier and i'm dreading incase it freezes over night :eek:

People really do need to slow down and learn to drive their cars. They need to realise they can't just keep using the foot brake all the time! Unfortunately by the time they learn this its too late!

I've seen lots of people have worrying moments in their cars by driving to fast and then putting on the foot brake. A bloke on Monday wrote the work hire car off by crashing into a kerb!

People are crazy! I've just been trundling along and still have people over taking me or riding right up on my bumper. :rolleyes: It only takes one bit of ice...

Stay safe people!

But MooMoo haven't you only just passed your test - you're being very brave to venture out on these roads the way they are at the moment. I know loads of people who have been driving for YEARS who refuse to drive in this!

We had a pretty heavy downfall this morning and I'm grateful that my mate fed my horse so I didn't have to venture out (he is in grass livery about 12 miles away on a b class road).
Had to go this evening though and its already -9degrees so the snow is getting icey and pretty scarey - just glad I got my dad to give me a driving lesson in it last weekend (even though I've been driving for 13yrs) - me and my wee mini went slowly but surely!!

But MooMoo haven't you only just passed your test - you're being very brave to venture out on these roads the way they are at the moment. I know loads of people who have been driving for YEARS who refuse to drive in this!

Yeah i passed last week, but i'm a safe driver not like some people who are my age, and driving doesn't scare me in whatever conditions - you just got to think sensibly about it and do what you have to. I needed to go out, hence why i did, but i didn't i would have stayed in.

It's still really icy today :( We had lots of rain last night, which has failed to melt the snow, but made everywhere even worse!! I'm sick of it, it's so dangerous and annoying. Be careful everyone!!

I think unless teh journey is absolutely necessary it is best to walk if possible or just not go out.

We certainnly saw a large increase in people who had fallen and broken bones or were suffering the effects of head injuries and the cold.

We have not been too bad as the gritters have been out, but then Scotland handles the ice very well :p

I walked to the yard this morning and Tyler point blank refused to move. He was enforcing stable rest himself lol.

Jen
x

newrider.com