Oh dear...hoping its not anything really bad, Tia is lame

Nicnac

Jan 2, 2008
Devon
Just wanted to share really, Tia, my horse I've had for a month, is lame at the moment, and I'm just hoping its not really bad. Basically, she was fine when I had her vetted, and in her new field, we think she has fallen over escaping from one of the other mares, well we hope that's the case. I've had the physio out and as she's had two foals, she still has no tummy muscles of any worth, plus no top line so of course she's clearly unfit (I knew this last bit anyway). She also has the biggest wolf teeth ever, so they have to come out next Monday.

I've been told to rest her till after her teeth and shoes are done, in the hope that they will help and then only walking out hacking for a month. Poor thing, I think we've been overworking her, as I've been having lessons in the school and walking/trotting out hacking.

I'm just worried that her lameness might be something worse, if its not better in two weeks I've been advised to have her checked over yet again.

Anyway, just wanted to share really, when you get a new horse, you just think they will be fine I guess. Although I know there are others out there who have had far worse experiences than me as new horse buyers. Please send me positive vibes that all will be fine and I'm just being a paranoid new mum!

Really sorry to hear that Nicnac, it could be a factor of why you are finding it difficult to catch her sometimes too, as she will associate it with the pain..hopefully once you have these things sorted, the catching problem will go.:)

I do hope the teeth thing goes well, and that the lameness subsides..positive vibes should be there by now:D

If you've only had her for a month I wouldn't even have had her out with the other mares yet(especially if not in good condition).I would have put her in a paddock close by where they could have some interaction, but in a safe manner.Probably shouldn't be doing too much work yet either if she's not long after having foaled.Better for you and your horse to err on the side of caution and take things slowly.Give her a chance to recoup physically and adjust mentally.

Really sorry to hear that Nicnac, it could be a factor of why you are finding it difficult to catch her sometimes too, as she will associate it with the pain..hopefully once you have these things sorted, the catching problem will go.:)

I do hope the teeth thing goes well, and that the lameness subsides..positive vibes should be there by now:D

Thank you :) Teeth are tomorrow and she does seem to be walking better, so i think the physio and new shoes have helped, fingers crossed all will be ok anyway.

If you've only had her for a month I wouldn't even have had her out with the other mares yet(especially if not in good condition).I would have put her in a paddock close by where they could have some interaction, but in a safe manner.Probably shouldn't be doing too much work yet either if she's not long after having foaled.Better for you and your horse to err on the side of caution and take things slowly.Give her a chance to recoup physically and adjust mentally.

She was in quarantine two weeks and she was fine in terms of lameness when I got her, we think the back problem could be from anything, and her lameness has probably been caused by falling down in the field when she first joined her field mates. She had her last foal last year, to a massive 17.2 shire cross, bless her, so its no wonder that her tummy muscles havent developed back. So yes, we've been advised to do lots of walking, then lunging and gentle hacking initially.

Hope you get some reassurance soon from your vet about the lameness, how long has she been like it? Also when you do get back in the saddle again and have to take it easy you can really work on building up the confidence thing without any pressure as you are restricted to walk & trot anyway, by the time she is back to fitness you will be ready to take on that canter out hacking!

Me & the Theebeegeebee send some positive vibes to you both :)

RRA, a few weeks since she joined the field really. And yes, you're right, my RI says the same, so it might even be a good thing in a way (although obviously Id rather she was sound etc etc).

Thank you for the positive vibes :)

newrider.com