Off hacking in Spain for 3 days!

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
I'm off to Andalusia first thing tomorrrow for 3 days of hacking with Ride Rio Grande. I am simultaneously excited, dreading leaving my kids (although they'll have a great time with Daddy) and worried about the state of my arse after three days in the saddle! That'll be more riding over three days that the last four months put together! I have some incredibly sexy (they're really, really not) padded pants that my husband bought me for cycling, that I have never, ever worn, but am about to try and locate from the bottom of whichever drawer I threw them into! I also have a load of large Compede blister pads.

Anyway, wish me luck, I am a tad nervous!

Sounds great. I know how hard it is to leave the kids. I went off to America for 5 days when my children were 18 months and 4, but once I was away the guilt lessened and I had a great time.

I am most jealous of you being able to sleep ALL NIGHT, and wake up at a reasonable hour in the morning (by reasonable, I mean later than 6am – perhaps 7am!). Only mothers with young children will understand what a treat this is.

Thank you, and thank you.
I'm taking my laptop and am looking forward to doing some writing with a glass of wine also as much as the riding!

You will have a fantastic time!!! I went to Portugal for a holiday (and to visit joosie while she was working there) a good few years ago and had a brilliant time. The best way to see the countryside abroad is definitely on horseback. I didn't have my own horse at the time so was riding once a week at the most but when I went there I was riding a minimum of 2 hours a day, usually more and I did a bit of tack cleaning and grooming and visits to beaches etc. I have to say I felt fine and not at all sore but by the time I got home I think I needed another holiday to get over my holiday!!!

Oh I am well jell! Please take lots of pictures and tell us all about it, it sounds fantastic.

I rode 6+ hours for 3 days on Dartmoor and found it was surprisingly OK even though I was not riding fit.Western was easier than English so with luck you will have lovely comfy Spanish saddles :biggrin:

How absolutely amazing!! Are you going by yourself or with a friend? Am also hugely jealous, sounds a fab thing to do, and as NF says, we most certainly will be expecting a lot of pics!!!

How absolutely amazing!! Are you going by yourself or with a friend? Am also hugely jealous, sounds a fab thing to do, and as NF says, we most certainly will be expecting a lot of pics!!!

Going on my own! The lady who owns the place sounds lovely and we seem to have lots in common - hope we get on as we're spending the next 3 days together!

Noted re: photos. I might even be able to do my first ever ear shot...

Hope you have a great time. I did a 7 day holiday in Andalucía years ago, some days we spent 8 hours in the saddle, the food was great and the best thing was falling into the swimming pool to try to get rid of our aches and pains!

How fab!! Next year, if I have money - possibly unlikely with 17 year old son and horse - maybe if you enjoy it we should go together on one?

OH and I never go on hols (farmer), and son now at the age where he is planning to go on hols with friends - am VERY worried. Pregnancy, diseases ........ the list goes on. He is a very charming, and very good looking boy, makes it all a lot more worrying really, and how can I say no - I just can't!!! Did go through the whole pregnancy, diseases chat when it was mentioned, and he just looks at me as though I am 110 years old and have no idea!!!

Anyway, I digress - you are going to have super time, am uber jealous!!!

How fab!! Next year, if I have money - possibly unlikely with 17 year old son and horse - maybe if you enjoy it we should go together on one?

OH and I never go on hols (farmer), and son now at the age where he is planning to go on hols with friends - am VERY worried. Pregnancy, diseases ........ the list goes on. He is a very charming, and very good looking boy, makes it all a lot more worrying really, and how can I say no - I just can't!!! Did go through the whole pregnancy, diseases chat when it was mentioned, and he just looks at me as though I am 110 years old and have no idea!!!

Anyway, I digress - you are going to have super time, am uber jealous!!!

Argh, terrifying! Makes me glad my son is only 4 but the years fly by and I've got all that to come. Buy him a big packet of condoms (ick) and hope he's a sensible boy! I went on holiday with my mates (to Ibiza) when I was 17 and we were all good as gold, really. More watching than participating in the madness!

I will scope out this hol and get back to you as it would be great to have a companion - my husband doesn't ride and nor do most of my friends so this is the second riding holiday I've done alone!

Hope you have a great time. I did a 7 day holiday in Andalucía years ago, some days we spent 8 hours in the saddle, the food was great and the best thing was falling into the swimming pool to try to get rid of our aches and pains!

I've packed my bikini - even if it's cold, so long as it's soothing I expect I'll go in!

Ooh how lovely! I wonder if its the company I see advertising in Facebook a lot on the horsey pages? I can't wait to hear all about it! I would never be brave enough to do something like that abroad!

Having a brilliant time! Rode for 2 hours today and yesterday, had a little gallop, my horse is a big 'un at 16.3 and quite forward going but v well behaved. We're going for a long ride tomorrow. It's totally beautiful here - sunny with stunning views - and the owners are lovely.

ETA - the food is AMAZING! Clare is a brilliant cook.

Last edited:
How really lovely. We rode today and not only were there gale force winds, it was raining as well!!!

Fab in Spain, am really very envious. Horse sounds lovely.

newrider.com