Odd things since upgrade

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I can't work out if it's my phone or the site, but I've had a couple of odd things since the upgrade;

If I switch to a different screen and come back I can't click into boxes to type at all, annoying but not a major issue as I just close out and start again, but when I need to do the 2 part verification where I need to go to my email for the code and come back to enter it. Currently I have to have 2 devices to get in on my phone. I don't have the issue with any other websites. Does anyone else get this?

I have also found tapping into the typing boxes doesn't always pop up my keyboard, I've found a work around but have to click to share the webpage then cancel it to get my keyboard. Doable but annoying.

It could be coincidence but my device keeps getting a system ui stop.
Tried clearing cache and uninstallling apps and updates.
It hadn't occurred to me until just now that it could be the nr app.

For about six months maybe longer I've had odd things on here. One of them is sometimes after I've closed an advert that pops up, I can't reply to a thread. So I have to go back to the beginning as in main page and click on the thread again. Then the ad pops up. Then I shut it. Then it won't let me reply ? Sometimes I give up and come back later. Then it lets me do it.
And sometimes the icons don't work after I've replied to a poster. Very odd. It does it on here (pc) and ipad. Not tired on the phone. Phones are too tiny for my fingers and eyes now.

Reactions: Jessey
I realised I’ve had NR bookmarked on my home page since before the update, so just deleted it and relinked, so far it seems to have cured the issues, will have to wait and see if it was coincidence

Reactions: Trewsers
Thanks for the info. I don't have any immediate answers but all reports add to the chance of spotting issues. Adverts are a pain but they do pay for the hosting charges to keep the site running.
Sorry I wasn't grumbling about the ads☺️ I know they're very much needed for the site running costs. I just have to close them pronto when they start playing videos as it makes everything jam up......................
Hahahah, I just have to be more patient before replying!

Cant say ive had any issues on my tablet with the app.

Think the phones working ok with the app to. Cant tell for certain as my phone has just upgraded from android 9 to 10 and the whole phone is crashing. Ive done a factory reset last week and its still crashing, so deleted nearly every app ive installed on it, working better. NR app is still on there.

Reactions: Jessey
Cant say ive had any issues on my tablet with the app.

Think the phones working ok with the app to. Cant tell for certain as my phone has just upgraded from android 9 to 10 and the whole phone is crashing. Ive done a factory reset last week and its still crashing, so deleted nearly every app ive installed on it, working better. NR app is still on there.
How do you find out what it's running on?
My phone still claims it's 6, but it's that old it must have upgraded some how.
Some apps it refuses to download so I live without.

@newforest Do you know what phone model youve got?

Go into your settings, look for either something like 'system settings' or 'about phone', Then something like version.

@newforest Do you know what phone model youve got?

Go into your settings, look for either something like 'system settings' or 'about phone', Then something like version.
It says android version 6, but software updated October.
So I am running 6 which may explain some issues.
I do wonder if we need all these updates.

Version 6 is an old version. Being an older phone it maybe that its not compatible with updated apps.
Updated though doesnt always pay though if your phone only has low storage space as im finding. It just crashes it.

New phone is now on the cards for me.

I don’t have it set to email me but don’t get notifications (the little red ones when someone else replies) quite often, it’s been particularly noticeable on the longer running threads coronavirus and coffee shop chat, they’re fine, then stop, then start again repeatedly.

It's all working well for me, and the ads are no more than an annoyance and well worth it to keep the site going. Though it creeps me out when they use my cookies.

newrider.com