Odd one this - but please indulge me

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
In the event that I am not around to look after Dolly - has crossed my mind that there are a handful of members that I would be very happy for her to go to at a considerably reduced price, to include stubben saddle, new bridles, rugs etc.

Think most of you know her background and what a wonderful confidence booster she has been for me in the short while I have been lucky enough to own her. She does have sweet itch, but since her steroid jab and keeping her rugged and being fly sprayed daily it really isnt and issue - Her hogged mane and ridiculously over trimmed and pulled tail is now starting to look very good!

Also feel it would be great if she went to someone of the same nervous disposition as I was before I bought her - think that I would be very happy knowing she would help restore someone else's confidence.BUT - would also like to think that she would go to a 'forever' home that wont sell her on once they become bored with her!:biggrin:

Seems my chances of making old bones (well even older than they are right now!:giggle:) are slight to say the least. Do intend to stay around for as long as I possibly can - and will know more next week - but at the moment I am a walking time bomb!:timebomb:

So - family will NOT talk about what needs to be sorted, although son has said he will make sure my wishes with Dolly will be carried out and arrange her transportation to UK IF I can sort something out before hand. This would not happen until I've 'gone' obviously.

Would anyone be interested in herself, price is of absolutely NO importance on this one, tis the right home that matters to me - but daresay OH will insist some sort of reasonable payment passes hands.:rolleyes:

Hope mods don't move this - would rather it stayed in the members only section, as this isnt a 'for sale' ad as such because she is most definately NOT for sale right at this moment but could be at very short notice as it were. If members who might be interested are happier to pm that would be great! Can then let son know the names of anyone who would be seriously interested and he could contact you through the forum as and when the need arises..:smoke:

Thanks - long and rambling as ever.......:redface:

Goodness, what is wrong with you :frown: I hope it is not as bad is it sounds! I agree it is a terrible worry wondering what will happen to our horses if anything happens to us. I do hope you are around for many more years.

I have quite often worried about what would happen to my lot - but as things have turned out, JJ is already sorted for a new home at the end of this summer anyway. The donkeys will remain here with my OH and sons. Dolly is the only one I am in a quandary about - and she is such a good old sort I owe it to her to make sure her future is reasonably secured.

Don't really want to go into details but purely by chance, new GP investigating further some existing health issues, something else entirely has been found and the outlook isnt great unfortunately. Am not as shocked as I would have thought to be - as have suspected for a few of weeks as it is something in my family, so was well aware of the symptoms. But hey ho....am determined to keep busy this weekend sorting things out etc. been told to to do absolutely nothing and am to go in immediately if one of the symptoms worsen, if not back in Monday morning anyway. But whats the point?:redface:

So - if my friend turns up shall go for a gentle little hack and then come home and see if there is any interest from anyone with Dolly, if not, shall have to re think that one!:unsure::happy:

thanks for your good wishes though - much appreciated.

So sorry to hear the news (((hugs))) and I admire you for being so positive about things. I am sure someone on here will love to give Dolly a home for life. If I had my own land then another (besides my three) would be no problem. Livery costs though stop me having any more.

I hope the rehoming isn't necessary for a very long time but I admire you tremendously for trying to ensure the future of the wonderful Dolly.
I have been thinking about this myself recently when I realised that there would be no one to look after my 3 if anything happened to me, and just can't think of what to do. It is such a worry.
I wonder if Ladywiththe baby would be interested as she needs a horse just like Dolly.
I'm pretty sure there will be lots of interest and your problem will be solved, but if you need to chat, or if there is anything you need for yourself please ask. I am always here, as will most of NR, I think.
Take care and keep us posted, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh hun, wish you wouldn't speak like this.....you are very well thought of and loved person on this forum and i would hate to think of anything happening to you.

I hope the doctors are wrong and that you have a long and happy future ahead of you, especially time to enjoy your family and Dolly.

I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum who would love to give Dolly a home, myself included but it's an uncomfortable situation to discuss. I know you are trying to plan for the future but it sounds so final and sad :frown: :cry:

As Freddie Mercury would probably say, live each day as it comes, try not to think too far ahead:wink: Try not to ponder too much, doctors always give the worst possible outcomes of everything, then it makes any other prognosis seem better.. A healthy mind helps a body to recover better too, another reason to think positively:smile:

Sending you healing vibes and a big hug, I think you need one ((((((((((((())))))))))) or maybe a few ((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) xx

I know how you are thinking, may seem mad to younger members but I have already done my thinking along those lines ..some horse charities will take horses if you leave them a donation but I have set up my own trust fund and horsey trustees to oversee loaning out my horses under their supervision.

In the event of any crisis I would be more than happy to add Dolly to my herd either on a temporary or permanent basis as was needed. We shall however still hopefully be posting in our 8th decade and thereafter!!

Oh hun, wish you wouldn't speak like this.....you are very well thought of and loved person on this forum and i would hate to think of anything happening to you.

I hope the doctors are wrong and that you have a long and happy future ahead of you, especially time to enjoy your family and Dolly.

I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum who would love to give Dolly a home, myself included but it's an uncomfortable situation to discuss. I know you are trying to plan for the future but it sounds so final and sad :frown: :cry:

Ditto this!!

Oh my word, I hope that you are ok! but I totally empathise with your thoughts, I'm only 25 but on the odd occaision the thought has crossed my mind as to what would happen to my girls if anything happened to me.....they are everything to me and I could not bear the thought of them ever ending up with anyone who didn't adore them as much as me.

I'm really just keeping everything crossed for you that you're ok, would be devasted to hear that you were very ill.

To answer your question I would be more than interested in her, I am looking for a third (has to be a girl) to live with my girls when we keep them at home (should be moving in approx 4 weeks). My OH has said that he would like to ride but we would need something that would be safe enough for him, but it would be me riding most days of the week to keep said horse fit and interested in life. Any horse that we get would be forever as they are considered part of the family.

Hope things aren't as bad as you think.:frown:

Dolly sounds a fantastic horse, sure plenty of people will offer a lovely forever home.:happy:

Another one who wishes you a speedy recovery, if it were me, i'd go with EML as you know Dolly wouldnt be passed on from there and she'd be very well looked after and loved

Hugs

My sentiments exactly. I have utmost respect for your decision to post this thread and while the context is something none of us want to consider, I think its lovely that you would want a member of NR to take care of your wonderful Dolly. I hope it doesn't come to it and I hope someone can offer her the perfect 'if it happens' home. I would be very honoured to be chosen as that person but I'm a one horse girl and think you're right to find somewhere where Dolly can help someone else with confidence issues, a good horse like her is gold dust.

Now don't you dare be leaving us C. ~~~Healing Vibes~~~

Can't help with the horse, but I'd just like to say I admire your grit. Very few people make me step back in awe; you are one of them. When I'm a grown-up I want to be like you.

I hope you stay on the right side of the grass for a long while yet.

I'd just like to say I admire your grit. Very few people make me step back in awe; you are one of them. When I'm a grown-up I want to be like you.

I hope you stay on the right side of the grass for a long while yet.

I agree, I am a bit of a lurker on your threads, and your down-to-earth attitude to life is fantastic. Makes me feel a bit better about lacking confidence when someone as fab as you has been through it too.
Like everyone else I really hope your worries turn out to be ill-founded and you and the fabulous Dolly are pootling around for many years to come.

If you do have to find another home for her, I'm sure you'll manage to. Someone else mentioned LWTB and she does sound ideal. Like loads of other NRs, my dream is of owning a horse like Dolly (although in my case maybe not just yet - need bit more £ first!), so I'm sure you would find someone to give her a forever home. But like everyone else, hugs and fingers crossed you don't need to.

As always the NR 'horsey family' have managed to move me with their kindness!:redface: I am actually quite a tough old bird but when the chips are down you are all so kind and supportive, makes me feel all teary eyed and hugged!:biggrin:

All suggestions and offers are, oddly enough, coming from the exact directions I had hoped they might. Seems even on the tinternet it is possible to judge who is who and what is what!

LWTB was one of my very first thoughts as she has had such bad luck finding a confidence giver, but do believe she is actually happier on a smaller type than Dolly. Plus she does, occasionally, if something ahead worrys her attempt a reverse gear:rolleyes:. This is no problem for me as though I had lost my confidence big time, I am not a novice and can judge exactly when this might be something she is considering and push her on in an equally determined manner!:giggle: Now we understand each other better, these little blips are no more than a barely perceptible 'falter' from her. But would worry that this would unnerve a nervous novice and would hate the thought of LWTB being intimidated by this and Dolly picking up on it and learning to reverse at every given opportunity.:giggle:

Anyway, thanks again so much for posts and pms, will point son in direction of this thread should it become necessary and I would think he would pm anyone who has expressed either an interest in her or help to sort her future.

Keep your fingers crossed for me please, another appointment in the morning, lets hope that the time scale can be improved on with the wonder of modern drugs if nothing better eh? Actually don't feel too bad today, keep having to remind myself that Im very ill! Ah sure they wouldn't write me off so quick if they knew what a bloody minded old biddy I am! Tis in the genes - one son was given a less than 40 per cent chance of surviving cancer when he was 21 and assured he wouldn't reach 30 - he is 38 this year and as fit as a flea! :biggrin: What do they know eh?:smoke:

Hugs all xx

Sorry to hear your not well.....as you've said about your son Dr's don't always get it right and have to consider worst case. I've not been on NR long but ready many of your posts, love your attitude to life and hope it gets you through this time :smile:

I understand your worry for Dolly. Only had Scarlet 3 months, am 31 and have no known health issues but already informed OH that life insurance money is to pay off flat and ensure Scarlet's livery etc is paid until YO can find suitable loving home for her...he has also been told to keep the cats.

Sending healing hugs xx

Oh Cortrasna I do hope you're ok :( **hugs**

Hopefully, as eml says, you will both be posting well into your 8th (and 9th I hope!!) decade, but I really admire you for really planning ahead for Dolly. It would depend on my situation at the time, but if it allowed me another I would be happy to offer the lovely old girl a home :)

newrider.com