Not tracking up - a sign of unsoundness?

Waikato Valuta

Aug 8, 2002
Australia
www.dreamwriters.org
I have a question in relation to a horse not tracking up. He is QUITE upright in the back legs, but as far as I know, bar a foot abuses and cutting himself on the fence he has never been lame. He is 9yo and an ex-racer.

I got a vet check when I got him and they said he was fine. I also had a masseuse who said he was a little tight in the hamstrings but she gave me stretches to do to help him out. Apart form that she said he is fine.

Although I must admit watching him move He does seem a little proppy in the back legs. Like he just does not really bend and reach under himself. And he is miles off over tracking.

Could this me a soundness issue or cause by the semi bad conformation and tight hamstrings. And if so is there anything I can do about it?

I find it hard to believe the vet did not pick up on this. Or do you think he did but didn’t think it was important. And no he didn’t just start doing after the vet check he seems to have always done it.

sounds like a conformation fault to me. with tight hamstrings too then he will find it difficult.
an exercise i use for basically everything is circles and spirals, to do small circles even in walk the horse has to bring the inside hind under to stay in balance so spiral in to as small as you can go without the bum pinging out and hold it for a circle or half if its difficult then leg yield out (another thing that engages the inside hind). do it on both reins and you should find it helps a little. turn about the forehand (not about the haunches in this case) would also bring the inside hind in and under. do lots of transitions too, maybe walk down the 3/4 line, to a turn about the forehand (180degrees), straighten and trot then repeat the exercise

It usually means that the horse is on its forehand. Does he feel heavy on your arms? To make him use the back end, he needs to drop his head a bit (I'm assuming he carries his head a bit high). You can get him to drop his head by squeezing the reins and at the same time, squeeze with your legs, keeping a contact on the reins (if you dont all the energy you've created with your legs will go out the front door so to speak)! After a while, he should bring his head down a bit and become lighter. If he's long in the back, it will take longer than if he has a short back because the back end will have to work harder. Dont hold him tight on a short rein because all you'll be doing is pulling his head in. Lots of circles, large ones, small ones (dont make them too small at first) and changes of direction help. When his quarters muscle up a bit more and start working, he will stop leaning on the bit.Then when he's grasped the idea, you can ask for a bit more collection but dont haul him in by pulling on the reins, push up into slightly resisting hands. Hope I've explained this ok.

Last edited:
No he has quite a nice head cariage in all three paces. I have attached a photo below. But he does feel heavy in your hands sometimes.

I agree more long and low will probably help.

plod61.jpg

Last edited:
when working is trot does it feel quite choppy/fast, if so then slow it down loads so that its nearly a walk even if its not really fast i would do this as it gets the back end working. you can up the tempo later. this also ties in nicely with long and low

He has a fantastic tempo. He is a really REALLY nice horse to ride. He responds to seat aids, works "round", and jumps the moon.

Having said that, he does sometimes have trouble picking up one canter lead. Cant remember of the top of my head which one. He will pick it up then occasionally pop into a disunited canter.

Do you think this is actually a soundness problem or muscle or riding, riding problem?

Here he is being ridden, you can see he is not tracking up:

5-.jpg

1.jpg

10-.jpg

Last edited:
definitely looks conformational. to help i would do lots of lateral work. the whole shoulder needs to lift and he needs to sit on his bum more but that will only come with time and work to build up the muscle to allow it to happen.
even if you have a fantastic tempo i would still try slowing it for maybe 10 mins and then take it back to normal as it does make your horse work harder. as i say, don't make it a long session for "slow" pace. it just adds interest as you have to have impulsion to keep the trot but the energy is contained more.

newrider.com